DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'It's disgusting'; surveillance shows drone flying outside woman's window at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it too... I think its crap personally but the news will run with it.
The yard is surrounded by trees, it would be challenging enough to fly in that yard in the daytime much less at night.
Especially with a expensive mavic which is the only possible DJI drone possibly shown in the video besides it being transparent. I love how in the video they just have to use the DJI equipment...

I hate how they have to use DJI and stuff in all this... If they knew DJI they would know the lights flash, OR they turn off when you are filming for the mavic because if this was a drone then it would only be a mavic air or mavic but even very experienced pilots wouldn't take theirs in an environment like that with no sensors available...

Well, whatever it is, it is hardly world breaking news.
Perverts and sneaky bastards are everywhere. But they would better have a 60 x optical zoom Lumix or a 85 x zoom Nikon P900. And they are way cheaper than an Mavic and don't need flying skills.
I can't recall any article or news flash about someone shooting a naked woman with full zoom from a safe distance however. Nobody would know.

I got me a Lumix FZ82 recently (for moon pictures mainly) and was shocked how easy it is to zoom in on a person on the beach behind my house, 200 meters away, and still get incredible detail. It can go all the way up to 200 x zoom with digital cropping (losing detail of course, but still, clear enough for spying). It costs only 350$ or Euro.

So all this spying on people with drones is just juicy for the media, but really, it's non-news. They should investigate the new and very affordable hand held cameras and do an item on that. Start fear mongering the world with juicy stories about sneaky Joe, filming from an apartment building across the street. That is seriously happening all over the world now.

Hey Lake - sounds like you have been busy taking those long range picture -(joking)-
I do agree with you - a lot of other ways to take pictures without being seen-or noticed.

After the brief glimpse of the woman and her clothes, who would take the time at 4am in the dark to video her?:confused:
She just happened to get the surveillance camera and the very next day the alleged drone appeared?
I agree with the others, takes a bit of skill to fly in that mess unless you were there watching it

But they would better have a 60 x optical zoom Lumix or a 85 x zoom Nikon P900. And they are way cheaper than an Mavic and don't need flying skills.

Agree 100%. I do have a Nikon Coolpix P900, with a 24-2000 mm optical zoom, and believe me it's incredible at which detail you can capture high quality images humdreds of meters away. Only thinking that a fixed 24 mm-equivalent lens of a drone can do some harm to one's privacy is non realistic: to get a serious image of a person (dressed or naken) you'd need to go close enough that he/she can easily shoot down the bird. Worthless effort, in my opinion. Paranoia.

the funny part of this is. that reporter was arrested in 2013 for exposing himself while he worked at KTRK TV. look it up

Not much information out there, but looks like he was cruising (is that the term) for *** sex in a park and got busted. Not my thing, but if it was meant to be a consensual encounter with another adult, I don't see the problem. Wouldn't want it going on at 3 pm when I am using the park. 4 am when all the drones come out would be OK as long as I don't have to think about it :)

Reactions: Napjeeper
Are you sure? No flashing lights, and I was unaware that a UAV can hover sideways. Check the vid again. I see something but I do not see a drone.
This was posted elsewhere as well. It seems really fishy that this woman installed a camera OUTDOORS in her back yard just the day before and just happened to spot a drone at 04:00 AM. I’m not buying her story.

Reactions: Ms.UAV and ThorDar
OMG she also caught an alien UFO spaceship zipping across too!

I have no doubt the woman believes what she saw. If there was some sort of collusion or agenda on her part she would have just faked the WHOLE THING with an actual Mavic (or another popular and easily recognized drone) at a more reasonable time with a more plausible subject.

The FAA is going to politely accept her complaint and file it at the bottom of the now mile-high idiot stack as they laugh themselves to sleep that night.

That news station should be ashamed of themselves for running with such an unvetted story. They allowed this completely oblivious woman become the expert on the subject matter with her fancy new piece of garbage equipment that is not intended to be installed outdoors. If they had asked even a single drone operator for their input, let alone an actual expert or one of their camera operators (I mean they are video production experts after all!!!), this particular story would not have moved forward. Instead they decided to run with an artifact.

Someone should do a news story on these types of bogus news stories. That’s something I would watch. Is there a single person in this forum (who actually flies) who believes that this could even possibly be a drone? I didn’t think so.

I wrote to his email but took it a step further. This was the first email it was obvious he wasn't going to reply to:
_____
Inflammatory Drone Article
You did a story on the 'drone' on this person's camera. Some things I noticed just looking at the camera and the article:

- This camera system is brand new to her, she's never seen a nighttime video before
- The 'drone' appears to be at a 25-degree angle to the ground constantly... this just isn't how drones work
- The light repeats the pattern on the same part of the screen over and over... at an angle

It looks like headlights of cars passing by but you go ahead and keep inflaming the people that think drone operators are actually doing this.

Poor reporting.
'It's disgusting'; surveillance shows drone flying outside woman's window at night
_____

It was easy to figure out the email naming convention for the station and I went ahead and forwarded that email to ALL of his fellow reporters at the station:
_____
Good afternoon,

As I sit here and read the hundreds of comments on Eric's Facebook link to this article and a direct message to him asking why he seems to be sticking by this story I'm saddened. His only response is apparently blocking me or ignoring the message after reading it so I'll ask this of his colleagues...

Do YOU stand behind shoddy reporting like this?

I won't go into further reasons why this story is bunk, the comments here and the comments on your Facebook page and Eric's feed tell the real story here. This wasn't a drone, but more likely a reflection or maybe even a spider-web.

In a day and age where the crazy among us chant "Fake News", why give them ammunition to say 'see! I told you so!".

I urge you to speak to your colleague and correct this obvious error. Your station's integrity is at stake.

Thank you,
_____

I cannot stand stupid and fake.

I know exactly what this is!
I get this on my security cameras at home and at first I thought it was a "ghost" or something mysterious... Turns out it is nothing more than a spider web wafting back and forth in the very slight breeze! The web has 4 sticky drops on it which reflect the light from the infrared lights on the camera.
The web is small and very close to the camera. Spiders can see the infrared light and instinctively "know" that it attracts insects. I find myself having to clear the webs from my security cams on a regular basis.

I am not saying that there are not folk that might use a drone for such purpose but it seems to me that she likely has a connection to the surveillance camera company and was simply trying to drum up a little business.

This was a local news story about a woman alleging that she recorded a drone in her backyard. That was accurate, even though her interpretation of the video almost certainly wasn't. Local news has been like this since I can remember, and trying to hold this up as an example of widespread poor journalism is just silly - or perhaps a reflection of a poor choice of news organizations on your part. And quoting the US President in this context definitely exceeds everyone's daily recommended intake of irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike