DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's Freakin' Winter... Touchscreen glove recommendations???

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
It's December and temps here around 30°F. My hands don't have the best circulation, so 5 minutes of flying and I don't want to keep my bare hands on the sticks any longer. A minute or two later and I can't feel them. I suppose if I keep at it perhaps my hands will adapt and stay warmer? I'd like to have a pair of gloves where I can still poke at my phone's screen with some degree of hitting the right controls, that will keep my hands warm, allow good control of the sticks... and not restrict circulation. I don't do well with gloves with knit cuffs and then to cut the cuffs off.

Is anyone here flying with gloves that they're really happy with?

I just asked some friends of mine the same question and was given this pair of gloves, they work flawlessly. They would be good for short flights in the bitter cold.D14EBEDF-933D-4761-A898-5AD0538DD270.jpeg

i use knitted fingerless gloves ,similar to those in @Rchawks picture without the finger ends and I can still touch the screen and have the tactile feel on the sticks

It's December and temps here around 30°F. My hands don't have the best circulation, so 5 minutes of flying and I don't want to keep my bare hands on the sticks any longer. A minute or two later and I can't feel them. I suppose if I keep at it perhaps my hands will adapt and stay warmer? I'd like to have a pair of gloves where I can still poke at my phone's screen with some degree of hitting the right controls, that will keep my hands warm, allow good control of the sticks... and not restrict circulation. I don't do well with gloves with knit cuffs and then to cut the cuffs off.

Is anyone here flying with gloves that they're really happy with?
Whatever gloves you get I find that disposable handwarmers(I use Grabbers brand)inserted onto your palm under the glove work well.

Whatever gloves you get I find that disposable handwarmers(I use Grabbers brand)inserted onto your palm under the glove work well.
i use knitted fingerless gloves ,similar to those in @Rchawks picture without the finger ends and I can still touch the screen and have the tactile feel on the sticks
I saw a recommendation recently. I think it is the first item he recommended. [PGYTech]

The PGY gloves look ok, but are more than I want to pay based on what I think would be limited use. But because it doesn't have a knit cuff I may have to ultimately go that route.

While fingerless gloves are a great idea, they won't work for me. The circulation in my fingers is not good, so I even have to buy gloves that are a little oversized and without knit cuffs so as not to impeded the circulation. I'm lucky to have long slender fingers in relation to my overall hand size so XL gloves can work. Large sized gloves often restrict the circulation even though they "fit like a glove".

@offtheback You did give me an idea. I have a stash of Grabber hand warmers that I keep for skiing. So I just ordered some inexpensive gloves from Amazon that I could try, and then return if not helpful. Touchscreen gloves on Amazon

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I haven't tried on of these but a couple of guys at my local flying field were using something like this

This made me smile. My wife modified a radio glove for me 20 yrs ago for flying RC.

Check it out. The leather panel would need to be cut out for a drone Transmitter viewing.

Attachments

• 42304EE9-917F-44FC-BF9A-C01F5005235B.jpeg
    42304EE9-917F-44FC-BF9A-C01F5005235B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 99773DCC-A969-4B4A-9B06-ED6FB9D33CAB.jpeg
    99773DCC-A969-4B4A-9B06-ED6FB9D33CAB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I use a transmitter glove similar to the one pictured above. I don’t like using gloves as I find they restrict the use of my hands, even the ones that have fold back finger tips. I fly throughout the winter almost as much as I do in the summer and often in sub zero temps (often around -25C). The transmitter mitt allows you lots of room to move around inside the mitt and also keeps the transmitter dry if it is snowing.
Last night I was out doing some light painting and it was cold with wet snow (basically raining), and the transmitter mitt kept my hands warm and my transmitter dry.
A transmitter mitt will likely not keep your hands as warm as a similar density glove so you will likely need a hand warmer if it is really cold.

Good Luck

Chris

Reactions: Rchawks
One other thing worth mentioning: Unlike the drone batteries which heat up during flight and need to be kept warm prior to flight, your flying device will not warm up. Depending on how cold you intend to fly in, you need to be aware of the flying device (phone/tablet). Your device battery will drain much faster and may abruptly shut down or the touch screen will become much less responsive or not respond at all. All of these situations have happened to me. On really cold days I keep my phone warm with a hand warmer before and after flight and in between battery changes.

Chris

The PGY gloves look ok, but are more than I want to pay based on what I think would be limited use. But because it doesn't have a knit cuff I may have to ultimately go that route.

While fingerless gloves are a great idea, they won't work for me. The circulation in my fingers is not good, so I even have to buy gloves that are a little oversized and without knit cuffs so as not to impeded the circulation. I'm lucky to have long slender fingers in relation to my overall hand size so XL gloves can work. Large sized gloves often restrict the circulation even though they "fit like a glove".

@offtheback You did give me an idea. I have a stash of Grabber hand warmers that I keep for skiing. So I just ordered some inexpensive gloves from Amazon that I could try, and then return if not helpful. Touchscreen gloves on Amazon

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Just bought one of these.$10.went on to buy another and price went up $4.Very warm and gives a few hours.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.34.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.34.12 PM.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 13
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi