DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's maybe just me?

Chris_L

Reactions
I like to go and shoot stuff spontaneously, friend rings up, "looks like it could be a nice sunset tonight", I grab my Mavic and the trip is ruined because the Mavic needs a firmware update or the DJI Go app needs an update (that's if I can get past the freakin advertising to get into the DJI Go app).

It's happened more than once and it happened again this morning.

It's a great drone but the software is terrible. The focus issue is annoying, the wonky horizon gimbal issue is unforgivable.

This morning was further ruined due to the remote being on 29% battery and rapidly running out because it charges up my phone, which was fine at 90% and didn't need a charge.

Anyone else find these issues frustrating?

It's not just you, but some of it is unnecessary complaining.

Just because the app or firmware need an update doesn't mean you have to update them right that minute. You can fly fine and update later.

I don't see any advertising on the iOS app. I fly with Litchi on Android when I need to because the Android version of the app is annoying.

I have no "focus issue" and the horizon isn't so wonky for me that I can't adjust it after I take off or straighten it in editing.

I don't have the charge issue with iOS or Litchi.

Reactions: jc44224
I fortunately don't have all of those issues, but too bad you do have them.
My Mavic is still flying on .400 firmware and flies like a dream. I just ignore any firmware upgrade requests... Why update when it flies like you want it to. DJI Go doesn't need to be updated that often in my experience, unless you don't fly regularly and thus not open the app for a while.
The camera focusses well, one tap after take off and it's done. I do however have the horizon thingy as well. But that only happens when yawing rather abrubtly. Just found out that you can roll it back with C2 + roller wheel.
I use the iPad mini 4 which never charges, don't know why that is.

I hope someone else knows some solutions!

You can fly at any time without updating the firmware. There is nothing stopping this. Charging the phone is a function of USB. You may want to pick up a portable USB charger and leave with your Mavic. I use the bottom USB connector to plug into my display. As such, a portable charger can then be connected to the side and the controller can be charged while flying.

This morning it warned me not to fly because of a version difference (after DJI app was updated but firmware wasn't). I flew without updating the firmware because it would have wasted too much battery. Horizon was wonky. My p3 doesn't do that. Mavic seems to have an issue. I correct in post and lose some of my video / to crop / zoom in and lose some resolution.

Some of the forced firmware and no fly zone database updates might be due to European legislation and may not affect users in other countries.

The controller doesn't try to charge up iOS devices but charges Android phones. Apparently you can cut one wire in the USB cable to stop this kind of unwanted behaviour. I just wish DJI would sort it out.

I realise I'm the only person in the world to find all of these things annoying :)

Reactions: oldschool
This morning it warned me not to fly because of a version difference (after DJI app was updated but firmware wasn't). I flew without updating the firmware because it would have wasted too much battery. Horizon was wonky. My p3 doesn't do that. Mavic seems to have an issue. I correct in post and lose some of my video / to crop / zoom in and lose some resolution.

Some of the forced firmware and no fly zone database updates might be due to European legislation and may not affect users in other countries.

The controller doesn't try to charge up iOS devices but charges Android phones. Apparently you can cut one wire in the USB cable to stop this kind of unwanted behaviour. I just wish DJI would sort it out.

I realise I'm the only person in the world to find all of these things annoying :)

Me too, specially the USB charging issue.

Had the horizon tilt issue for the first time recently.

Overall it is great tech for the money, but you are not the only one to dislike the things mentioned.

Reactions: oldschool
I like to go and shoot stuff spontaneously, friend rings up, "looks like it could be a nice sunset tonight", I grab my Mavic and the trip is ruined because the Mavic needs a firmware update or the DJI Go app needs an update (that's if I can get past the freakin advertising to get into the DJI Go app).

It's happened more than once and it happened again this morning.

It's a great drone but the software is terrible. The focus issue is annoying, the wonky horizon gimbal issue is unforgivable.

This morning was further ruined due to the remote being on 29% battery and rapidly running out because it charges up my phone, which was fine at 90% and didn't need a charge.

calibrate gimbal?
set rear button on rc as focus or tap screen.
are you using android phone as rc charging the phone is a known issue.

You can't ignore certain forced updates (not in CE countries). It's the sitting ready to take off and having to navigate past adverts for new drones, try to ignore firmware updates, some you can, some you can't, some have dire warnings if you try. I think it's just me though. Probably the only person on the planet who is bugged by all of these things when I just want to fly.

I calibrate the gimbal. It goes wonky during flight, surprised nobody else is annoyed by this, just me and a few guys on YouTube

hi chris
I get your frustrations and sympathise.
try going into search on this site for each problem you have as all have been well covered, so its not just you.
many of the threads end up with good advice and remedies.
try this one 1st search gimbal tilt problem.

Reactions: Chris_L
You can't ignore certain forced updates (not in CE countries). It's the sitting ready to take off and having to navigate past adverts for new drones, try to ignore firmware updates, some you can, some you can't, some have dire warnings if you try. I think it's just me though. Probably the only person on the planet who is bugged by all of these things when I just want to fly.

I calibrate the gimbal. It goes wonky during flight, surprised nobody else is annoyed by this, just me and a few guys on YouTube

I live in the Netherlands (So CE) and I never had a forced update. Just a little notification when opening the DJI Go app saying a new firmware is available and sometimes a slide to update option. So far I can ignore it.

Could you upload a video / still of the video or a picture showing your horizon issue? I am curious how bad it is.

Hi, I've just uploaded a video. it's a minute of raw footage, you will notice that in the first shot (first half of the video) the gimbal is level until the drone stops. It's then no longer level for the next shot. The key moment is about 19 seconds in.

This is the final footage with nearly all tilts corrected in post, I hate correcting tilt in post, shouldn't have to as it lowers quality having to digitally zoom in. Means you lose part of the original picture. Some of it I couldn't use as when corrected it chopped off the top of a landmark.

Odd. I did exactly the same thing yesterday so because i wanted to fly i just ignored the update and flew with no issues at all and updated later. The app update wasn't a forced update, the firmware issue wasn't a forced update. Both could be ignored with no issue and flown so that was your decision entirely. Nothing to do with DJI. They offered you an update and you decided to accept it at that very minute instead of choosing to fly.

There is no CE/European "legislation" forcing an app or firmware update so you're just making that bit up. It was 100% your choice to decide to do an update at that time instead of flying.

What focus issue? Tap the screen and it focuses fine. And what wonky horizon? Just adjust the gimbal roll and it goes away.

Charging a phone from the remote is a negligible drain if any at all on the RC battery. This is easily measured. Again if its Android would would you expect DJI to do about it? If there is voltage on the power pins it'll charge. That's how the hardware spec is design. DJI are being compliant with standards. They didn't write them.
I'll generally get 5-6 flights out of an RC with either of my 2 phones or 2 tablets being "charged".

Thanks for the videos! The terrain makes it a bit harder to see how much it actually is but it is definitely more than wha
Hi, I've just uploaded a video. it's a minute of raw footage, you will notice that in the first shot (first half of the video) the gimbal is level until the drone stops. It's then no longer level for the next shot. The key moment is about 19 seconds in.

This is the final footage with nearly all tilts corrected in post, I hate correcting tilt in post, shouldn't have to as it lowers quality having to digitally zoom in. Means you lose part of the original picture. Some of it I couldn't use as when corrected it chopped off the top of a landmark.

Thank you for the examples! The terrain makes it a bit harder to see how much it actually banks, but it definitely is more than what I can see on my Mavic. With a perfectly straight horizon I only see
a few degrees of tilt, nothing too bad. And it really comes with hard turns. Haven't flown sideways like you did to create the effect.
Does it also happen when yawing? Simply correcting it through the remote won't help since it changes all the time.
I wish I could tell you the solution...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54