DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's maybe just me?

@gnirtS I think it's just me, only a few other people talking about forced updates - must have been my imagination. Same with the controller going from 29% charged to critical within 20 minutes, if it doesn't happen to you then I can't see how it could happen to me.

@Hitec_NL I understand there are ways to correct it (it's not always easy to see the phone screen and notice it in time). I'd love DJI to correct it, seems to be the point of having a calibrated gimbal.

When you go into detail about people claiming "forced updates" it always turns out they weren't in fact forced.

Probably me reading "Updates Required" or "Upgrade Required" to mean they were required. Maybe I could have swiped that screen out of the way. If so then I'm going to downgrade that from major annoyance to minor annoyance.

upgrade req.PNG

Reactions: lenzwizard
@gnirtS I think it's just me, only a few other people talking about forced updates - must have been my imagination. Same with the controller going from 29% charged to critical within 20 minutes, if it doesn't happen to you then I can't see how it could happen to me.

@Hitec_NL I understand there are ways to correct it (it's not always easy to see the phone screen and notice it in time). I'd love DJI to correct it, seems to be the point of having a calibrated gimbal.
I'm in the habit now of charging up everything when I get home from flying. That may not be possible for everyone, but it will avoid low batteries when you set off to go flying.

Th
Probably me reading "Updates Required" or "Upgrade Required" to mean they were required. Maybe I could have swiped that screen out of the way. If so then I'm going to downgrade that from major annoyance to minor annoyance.

View attachment 21932

That's just DJI's way of trying to sucker you into upgrading the firmware. Sounds ominous and fools most users. However, despite the words "mandatory", "required", "critical firmware mismatch", or any such nonsense, the updates are not necessary or mandatory. (other than a recent Spark update for a critical safety issue)

You know you can adjust the gimbal tilt in flight, right?
Can't always spot it til it's on the big screen back home but what's more is I paid for a machine with a sophisticated automatic gimbal that can keep level, like the one on my Phantom 3, so I'm going to ***** about it til they fix it. :mad: :D

When it has been a while, I just power on the drone and check whether an update needs to be available, then I go out after that. The sun is so slow anyway, just take extra time.

Reactions: Chris_L
Can't always spot it til it's on the big screen back home

Strange how everyone else manages it. If you're really struggling use one of the grid lines to do it.

but what's more is I paid for a machine with a sophisticated automatic gimbal that can keep level,

No you didn't. Where exactly does it guarantee that? You bought an entry level consumer drone. You didn't buy a professional drone, you didn't buy one with a good camera or a good gimbal. You bought the basic entry model. You seem to be demanding DJI invest in high end quality hardware and cameras and put it on their cheapest model just to satisfy an issue you have but pretty nobody else does.

There seem to be a LOT of toys thrown from the pram here for minor issues. Really, you should have bought a P4P or inspire 2 - those will more closely mirror your exacting demands.

Strange how everyone else manages it. If you're really struggling use one of the grid lines to do it
Who told you that "everyone else manages" :D No doubt you're right and I'm the only person on the planet who can't do it. I also have trouble seeing the phone screen in bright light and had been, stupidly, relying on the automatic gimbal to automatically self-level

You bought the basic entry model. You seem to be demanding DJI invest in high end quality hardware
So it is the hardware's fault?

The gimbal on my lowly Phantom 3 doesn't have an issue with not being able to remember the horizon.

Reactions: hjmavic
This morning it warned me not to fly because of a version difference (after DJI app was updated but firmware wasn't). I flew without updating the firmware because it would have wasted too much battery. Horizon was wonky. My p3 doesn't do that. Mavic seems to have an issue. I correct in post and lose some of my video / to crop / zoom in and lose some resolution.

Some of the forced firmware and no fly zone database updates might be due to European legislation and may not affect users in other countries.

The controller doesn't try to charge up iOS devices but charges Android phones. Apparently you can cut one wire in the USB cable to stop this kind of unwanted behaviour. I just wish DJI would sort it out.

I realise I'm the only person in the world to find all of these things annoying :)
Cutting a wire in the cable will stop data transfer aswell, rendering cable useless, I tried it.

The wire cut thing definitely doesn't work. I've tried it, and the threads linked were threads I read in the past and re-read today and they came to the same conclusion in the end. If you stop the power, you end the connection.

The solution is either rooting and an app that often still doesn't work, or adding an external battery. Or option 3 - do nothing, because for most it's not actually a problem.

Who told you that "everyone else manages" :D No doubt you're right and I'm the only person on the planet who can't do it. I also have trouble seeing the phone screen in bright light and had been, stupidly, relying on the automatic gimbal to automatically self-level

So you're asking the hardware to make up for your short fall despite (i) buying the absolute lowest end hardware and (ii) are unable to utilise the system DJI actually provide for rectifying the problem.

So it is the hardware's fault?

In that its not a several thousand dollar military spec gimbal. Its a cheap gimbal attached to an even cheaper camera. What do you expect? Do you go and buy a 2nd hand toyota and then moan because its not as fast as a new ferrari?

Why didn't you spend more money on a higher end product if (i) your standards are THAT demanding and (ii) you lack the ability to manually solve the problem ?

Reactions: MrsTreat
Cutting a wire in the cable will stop data transfer aswell, rendering cable useless, I tried it.

If you get the 5v wire on a USB lead it wont work. Simple as that. USB is designed that way. Fortunately the RC charging the mobile is a complete non issue so its not relevant.

@gnirtS you've totally convinced me. I thought I was a dissatisfied customer, in fact my expectations were too high.

1) The gimbal horizon issue isn't DJI's fault. It's my fault for buying a cheap consumer drone. I have to fix it in post - like all consumers, who spend time using post production tools on their videos.

2) My remote controller battery being drained by the phone isn't DJI's fault either it's because that's how USB works. My camera battery isn't drained when connected via USB to the phone, perhaps USB works differently on different days of the week. It's also not a problem and now that I've been corrected I find it doesn't annoy me after all.

3) I stupidly thought that seeing "upgrade required" when I went to fly meant that an upgrade was required in order for me to fly. Concerned about the safety of the drone I've been following the instructions. This isn't DJI's fault. It's mine.

Thanks to your input I can see the drone is actually perfect and the things that annoy me are just figments of my imagination :D

@gnirtS you've totally convinced me. I thought I was a dissatisfied customer, in fact my expectations were too high.

1) The gimbal horizon issue isn't DJI's fault. It's my fault for buying a cheap consumer drone. I have to fix it in post - like all consumers, who spend time using post production tools on their videos.

2) My remote controller battery being drained by the phone isn't DJI's fault either it's because that's how USB works. My camera battery isn't drained when connected via USB to the phone, perhaps USB works differently on different days of the week. It's also not a problem and now that I've been corrected I find it doesn't annoy me after all.

3) I stupidly thought that seeing "upgrade required" when I went to fly meant that an upgrade was required in order for me to fly. Concerned about the safety of the drone I've been following the instructions. This isn't DJI's fault. It's mine.

Thanks to your input I can see the drone is actually perfect and the things that annoy me are just figments of my imagination :D
Thumbswayup The struggle is real!

1) The gimbal thing is annoying, but it's a lot less pronounced on the Mavic than it was on my Phantom 3. I've gotten to where I really look at it before I start shooting video, adjust the gimbal if need be, then start shooting. Seldon has it been bad enough on the Mavic to require straightening it in editing, but your mileage (and OCD level) may vary.

2) USB is what it is. I haven't noticed the battery drain on the rare occasion I fly with my Android phone using USB, but I know it isn't a problem using a Lightning connector with my iPad. I'm not a big fan of Apple, but at least is one thing they got right.

3) No comment, apart from saying this is an advantage of forums such as this one. You learn from others' experience.

1) If the horizon's a little off, fix it in the app. If it keeps moving or just can't be adjusted far enough, then get hold of DJI and warranty the thing already.

2) Correct, that's how USB works, at least for your Android devices. But feel free to give more details about the camera, and maybe we'll be convinced otherwise. And yeah it shouldn't annoy you if you run 1, 2, 3 or perhaps even 4 or 5 batteries, because there'll still be charge in the RC. If you need more than that, you're a pro, and indeed you should have bought a different drone.

3) If the updates scare you from flying because you're concerned about safety, then do the upgrade. Don't be mad at the company for constantly updating to make things better, especially if you're so into being safe. Otherwise realize like the rest of us it's OK to fly one more time and then go upgrade when it's convenient.

You're right these things are annoyances, but at this point you're doubling down on why they're so terrible and lost anything you were originally trying to convey. It's just getting silly at this point. FYI.

Reactions: Lt Shanks
If you owned a car that constantly flashed a warning on the insturment pannel every two weeks,./."update needed return to dealer for repairs",you would trade it off in a matter of weeks,period! There's NO excuse for this drone,to be constantly updated. And when you do update it,you also get little "goodies" you didn't need or ask for!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78