DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's maybe just me?

Flew yesterday for the first time is a little while and didn't update the firmware, after a few minutes it disconnected (from the phone not the controller) and there was a heli flying low in the vicinity. Was LOS but the mavic was far enough away not to be able to see which direction it was pointing so I just brought it lower and walked to where it was. Despite reboots couldn't get it to reconnect again. Once I got home I did the firmware update and everything's ok now, but I was a long way from home and didn't have a lot of time so didn't get the shoot I wanted.

Firmware would normally mean fly or not fly, not disconnect half way through and then not connect again after reboots. Strange issue.

Argggggggggh had some spare time this morning, low wind, but of sunshine, warmer than it has been. Grabbed my Mavic bag and went to a field I like.

While since I used the drone and sure enough it wanted to do updates, I skipped Fly Safe Database update but firmware update was forced, it took nearly 30 minutes to do it, ran down remote battery and phone battery. Very annoying. :mad:

Argggggggggh had some spare time this morning, low wind, but of sunshine, warmer than it has been. Grabbed my Mavic bag and went to a field I like.

While since I used the drone and sure enough it wanted to do updates, I skipped Fly Safe Database update but firmware update was forced, it took nearly 30 minutes to do it, ran down remote battery and phone battery. Very annoying. :mad:

I run a legacy version of the software, which negates the forced FW updates.

I've been running these legacy software/firmware versions since Sept 10, 2017.

App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700
Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I turned off Object Avoidance and my Mavic Pro has been rock solid reliable. As an added bonus, I don't ever have to log into the DJI mother ship to fly, which drives me mad that they make most users do that.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I wish I could do the same Donnie. I'm guessing you are not in Europe. I'm in the United Kingdom a CE area.

DJI do things differently with CE drones to keep our governments happier and to negate the need for legislation. The flysafe databases are different, the firmware is different.

Look on DJI's website at the Mavic Pro specs, there's a headline for 7km range - in the small print you can see that's just for FCC areas. In CE areas it's down to 4km.

Could be worse though - two friends have ordered Mavic Air models. They are going to be disappointed when they start to lose signal at 500m while their FCC US cousins enjoy clear images from 4000m away.

fcc_ce.JPG

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I wish I could do the same Donnie. I'm guessing you are not in Europe. I'm in the United Kingdom a CE area.

DJI do things differently with CE drones to keep our governments happier and to negate the need for legislation. The flysafe databases are different, the firmware is different.

Look on DJI's website at the Mavic Pro specs, there's a headline for 7km range - in the small print you can see that's just for FCC areas. In CE areas it's down to 4km.

Could be worse though - two friends have ordered Mavic Air models. They are going to be disappointed when they start to lose signal at 500m while their FCC US cousins enjoy clear images from 4000m away.

View attachment 29963
I think the firmware is the same for FCC and CE regions. It's the app that determines your location and mode.

I keep my device offline now. No updates, ads or quizzes. Just turn on and fly.
No maps but didn't find them that useful with the way I normally fly.

I think the firmware is the same for FCC and CE regions. It's the app that determines your location and mode.

I keep my device offline now. No updates, ads or quizzes. Just turn on and fly.
No maps but didn't find them that useful with the way I normally fly.

I find if I run the app in the iPad NOT connected to the remote, I can cache the map for my location, "pause" the iPad, and then connect everything on location and get the map. Even if I close the app, the map remains cached.

Reactions: Callum and Chris_L
I've been in this thread in september last year as well, and still on the same firmware with my Mavic (.400) ever since.
I have connected my iPad to the internet regurarly to cache the map before flying.
Every once in a while it gives me a slider option telling me inconsistent firmware has been detected and that it can be updated...
Hit cancel and I am all good.
I do always disconnect from the internet when starting up the Mavic to go flying.
Never had my Mavic connected to a computer either.

I've been in this thread in september last year as well, and still on the same firmware with my Mavic (.400) ever since.
I have connected my iPad to the internet regurarly to cache the map before flying.
Every once in a while it gives me a slider option telling me inconsistent firmware has been detected and that it can be updated...
Hit cancel and I am all good.
I do always disconnect from the internet when starting up the Mavic to go flying.
Never had my Mavic connected to a computer either.

Yep...I receive "update needed" for almost every bird I own almost every time I boot them up. Ignored.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak