DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Its my turn, neighbors complaining

I went to two of my neighbors at a property that I purchased about 3 years ago but am not living at yet and gave them a old SD card with a few pics of their house/property after a rare snow here back in January . I have only met each of them once before . I said I thought you might like these pics of the snow from the air and stated that I don't fly over other peoples property without their permission unless I am at legal altitude but if they ever wanted closer pics to just let me know . The pics all were taken from my property line from about 200' up . The one (beautiful wife BTW) told me "That's great my husband just bought a drone a couple weeks ago" and the other stated that he was thinking about getting a drone then we talked about what would be the best drone to get for the next hour , LOL . I must have good neighbors and I've really got to get to know that first wif... , uh , I mean couple better .

Reactions: Zyskman78
Alt option - Buy neighbors drones. Start YouTube channel of the coolest neighborhood ever.

Reactions: Yoda007
I told my wife to delete her account and ignore. I will continue to be as respectful as possible, and feel if someone has an issue, they can come discuss it with me. Is this an acceptable response as far as you are concerned? I do really want to be a good representative of all drone pilots.
Perfect response but never ever give up your personal address.

Only my second post so I guess a grain of salt is necessary...

I like the suggestion of diplomacy. Go visit the neighbors and TALK to them. Tell them what you're about and what your doing. Show them some of your footage. Reassure the people with the pool that you aren't interested in them. Get out and interact.
It has become so easy to isolate ourselves in the modern world (2 acres!) and a little human contact and kindness will go a long way. You might make friends with the neighbors and have someone keeping an eye on your property when you're not around. TELL them who you are!
Or you could avoid everyone, delete your account from the community site, hide out and let every decide for themselves what sort of person you are.

...fly to 400 feet, choose your direction, switch to sport mode until you reach your destination...
I agree with going to 400 feet, but I would not use sport mode if I am trying to be stealthy. I can hear my MP in sport mode at 400 feet.

I live in very congested south Florida. Last week, my next door neighbor asked me not to fly my drone over his house. We all have one acre of land here. He said it bothered him. Since I never fly my drone over anyone's house, I probed a little and he said he saw it leave his property and head back over toward my house. He also said it hovered over his pool at around 30 feet and stayed there for a few minutes. I asked for details and he showed me the approximate size of the drone. I inquired about its color, and he indicated that it was white. My drone is carbon fiber wrapped and again, if I fly over someone's house, it is at least 100 feet up and I don't stop. It is only going from point A to point B. Usually I stay over the roads, but if I'm heading over to a nature preserve near my house, I go up to 100 and fly full speed over there.

That being said, I have seen a Phantom flying around 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks and am assuming it was that drone. I do not intend to stop flying, but I will continue to be 100% mindful that some folks don't care much for drones.

If the Phantom actually hovered low over his pool for several minutes. that's a problem and those types of actions aren't acceptable and give all of us a bad name.

#38 Regulator23, 4 minutes ago

I appreciate the responses. I mentioned the 2 acres to explain that there is quite a bit of room between houses and felt like as long as I don't fly directly over someones house, which I don't, what's the issue. I have decided to fly as respectfully as I can, avoid the concerned neighbors and continue to invite anyone to watch, talk, or even view my flight logs. I really don't want to be a bad neighbor and hope people realize that.
It, looks like your not the bad neighbor. The rude neighbor is the problem, you invited to help they ignored you might do the same. I think the straight up to 400' is a good idea.

Quite a conundrum. On one hand a good neighbor would respect his neighbors feelings, and fly somewhere else.

Fascinating how two people can have such different views of the same thing. Id consider myself a good neighbor if I had enough respect to not concern myself with another neighbor taking part in a legal activity in a legal and safe manner especially when it impacts me in such a neglible way. But I’ve always been more of a live and let live kind of person.

Reactions: zwt100 and JMF
Fascinating how two people can have such different views of the same thing. Id consider myself a good neighbor if I had enough respect to not concern myself with another neighbor taking part in a legal activity in a legal and safe manner especially when it impacts me in such a neglible way. But I’ve always been more of a live and let live kind of person.

Enough already with the common sense and reason. Who needs it.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn’t always fair, and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned, but overbearing, regulations were set in place.
Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teenagers suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer paracetamol, sun lotion or plaster to a pupil, but could not inform the parents when a pupil became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.
Common Sense lost the will to live as churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home, but the burglar could sue you for assault because you protected yourself and your own.

Common Sense finally passed away after a 7-year-old child was suspended from school for chewing a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I’m A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized that he was gone.
If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Last edited: