DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Its my turn, neighbors complaining

ScottB

Reactions
Live in a neighborhood with homes on 2 acre lots. I have tried really hard, to be a good neighbor and respect peoples privacy including not hovering over their homes, flying 200 ft high if I cross over a house to a lake or surrounding farm land. We have a neighborhood website to post various things and the first one came a week ago from a lady who said it was eerie and she has a teenage daughter, that sort of stuff, suggested the pilot was a pervert. My wife responded and nicely said that the pilot was her husband and told them I'm not filming, taking pics and they were welcome to come down and meet us and even see a flight on a tablet, gave our address. Of course no one came down and now a second complaint about flying over a different neighbors yard.

I told my wife to delete her account and ignore. I will continue to be as respectful as possible, and feel if someone has an issue, they can come discuss it with me. Is this an acceptable response as far as you are concerned? I do really want to be a good representative of all drone pilots.

you offered and they refused also if its a website/social place online post a link to your video of flying / recording away from there houses but dont matter its still going to get the keyboard warriors going and be like ohh look hes spying on me in the bath through 3 foot walls with no windows

Quite a conundrum. On one hand a good neighbor would respect his neighbors feelings, and fly somewhere else.
On the other hand There is no LAW preventing you from doing what you are doing, and with 2 acre lots one should expect the right to take off and land on your own property.
So to be a "Drone Ambassador" for the hobby, should you stand your ground and keep telling people they are crazy for being weary of your flights, or do you ease their concerns and fly from somewhere else? ****** if you do, ***** if you don't.
I am glad I am not in your shoes. But if for the record, I would just fly from elsewhere rather than being the "I can do whatever I want" guy in everyone's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others that you're not breaking any rules or laws and could say FU. That said, if it were me, I would bring the bird up to 400 feet from the center of my lot before flying over theirs. At that altitude, they'd never see or hear it. You could also get in the car and drive down to the lake.

I've learned from similar experiences in life, that people like this don't go away. It will get worse and worse and eventually suck all the fun out of it for you.

The more and more I think about it, I like the 400 foot suggestion the best. Let the technology solve this one for ya.

I always fly out of my back yard, the house directly behind me has a pool. New people just moved into that house, so I am nervously waiting for the first confrontation.......... The last people there waved at my drone as it ascended.
I usually fly straight up to 400' then over to farmland that is just a couple lots away from me.

I was flying my drone last night and two of my neighbours stopped by . One was a older lady and she said have fun flying . The guy across the street came over and asked to look at my drone . Then he said Im buying one . Lol

Live in a neighborhood with homes on 2 acre lots. I have tried really hard, to be a good neighbor and respect peoples privacy including not hovering over their homes, flying 200 ft high if I cross over a house to a lake or surrounding farm land. We have a neighborhood website to post various things and the first one came a week ago from a lady who said it was eerie and she has a teenage daughter, that sort of stuff, suggested the pilot was a pervert. My wife responded and nicely said that the pilot was her husband and told them I'm not filming, taking pics and they were welcome to come down and meet us and even see a flight on a tablet, gave our address. Of course no one came down and now a second complaint about flying over a different neighbors yard.

I told my wife to delete her account and ignore. I will continue to be as respectful as possible, and feel if someone has an issue, they can come discuss it with me. Is this an acceptable response as far as you are concerned? I do really want to be a good representative of all drone pilots.
Like someone here already said, be a Drone Ambassador, apply the golden rule.
"Do for others what you want them to do for you". I live in a senior citizens complex,
where most have no hobbies what so ever. I know they don't appreciate me flying
in this neighborhood. Trying to win them over one by one, in inviting them to watch me
fly over a pond we have in our complex. I Ask them to be a co pilot. watching out for geese, so they don't attack my drone. Good to use diplomacy, rather then insisting
on our rights.

I appreciate the responses. I mentioned the 2 acres to explain that there is quite a bit of room between houses and felt like as long as I don't fly directly over someones house, which I don't, what's the issue. I have decided to fly as respectfully as I can, avoid the concerned neighbors and continue to invite anyone to watch, talk, or even view my flight logs. I really don't want to be a bad neighbor and hope people realize that.

I appreciate the responses. I mentioned the 2 acres to explain that there is quite a bit of room between houses and felt like as long as I don't fly directly over someones house, which I don't, what's the issue. I have decided to fly as respectfully as I can, avoid the concerned neighbors and continue to invite anyone to watch, talk, or even view my flight logs. I really don't want to be a bad neighbor and hope people realize that.

I'm also going to go to 400 ft if I need to cross a neighbors yard to reach other areas. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: JDawg

I use my drone to look at my property. I have 5 acres and have people trespassing all the time. They broke down my fence in a couple places. When I catch them they tell me its BLM land and they'll walk here if they want. I'd snap a picture with my phone, now I can sit on my deck fly around the property and snap a pic with the drone LOL

Couple of thoughts

fly to 400 feet, choose your direction, switch to sport mode until you reach your destination.
Hard to spy at high foward speed, less time over disputed land and best of all you could be gone before
John & Mary drone nerves even know you were there.

Another alternative if you still have the neighborhood network, announce your flight plan...example
planning a drone flight today at @ 3:30 pm will be flying north to joe jones farm.
please direct any questions or concerns to me I will be pleased to answer any respectful inquiries relative to this flight plan.
mikemoose55

Couple of thoughts

fly to 400 feet, choose your direction, switch to sport mode until you reach your destination.
Hard to spy at high foward speed, less time over disputed land and best of all you could be gone before

Great way to avoid trouble. Thumbswayup

Couple of thoughts

Another alternative if you still have the neighborhood network, announce your flight plan...example
planning a drone flight today at @ 3:30 pm will be flying north to joe jones farm.
please direct any questions or concerns to me I will be pleased to answer any respectful inquiries relative to this flight plan.
mikemoose55

Kind of a perfect idea.

Ive never had a negative comment about my pro, just curious people who like it. I would tell the neighbor to mind their own business. If they kept at it, i'd probably say that i just made a few new drone friends, and to expect seeing even more:D

Reactions: Freeasabird
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98