DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's this illegal?

That's one of his videos but he also flew at night or very early in the morning when it's dark. I like the guy but I am sure that flying in a city like Philadelphia is totally against the FAA law.
Yep totally illegal.
Seriously idiots like this are putting us hobbyist drone operators in a box the public are growing anti drone.
Incidents for example NZ Police chopper near miss 10m from Drone New Years Eve at night near Sky Tower obviously was taking video of fireworks.
Incidents of near misses continue the public continue to grow angry look at authorities to take action .
I would say the hobbyist droner is definitely going to be gone as we know it **
Those like myself who stick to the rules wherever I might fly am gut wrenched to think that these idiot droners are going to spoil it for us

Why you care? Drone policemen?? I wish you could give people dislike on this forum.
Why does he care because it's guys like you who ruin it for the guys that follow the rules. Guys like you cause more stricter rules and regulations. ( Mod Removed ) if you think flying in the city AT NIGHT WITH A DRONE IS ACCEPTABLE **

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pvs and macoman
He was not within 5 Miles of an Airport. I posted the location that he took off from in the fifth post of this topic. That address is not within 5 Miles of an Airport or DJIGO4 would have placed it within a Restricted Zone and not allowed take off. I validated that using DJI's onw Geofencing Website.

As @JDawg points out. Recreational Drone Flyers can fly at night as long as they have lights upon thier drone that are visible for up to 3 Miles. There are common strobes that forum members purchase to make thier night flights legal.

Last edited:
Wrong. Please know the rules before you start preaching to people about not knowing the rules.
I know the rules I am a licensed pilot and a licensed jet mechanic. When it come to th FAA I HAVE TO KNOW THE RULES.

Reactions: macoman
Oh ok, I thought that flying in populated area as a downtown like center City of Philadelphia is against the law. I guess Philly is one of these few cities that allow drone pilots to maintain their freedom of flying.
You can only be legally charged with reckless endangerment if you crash the drone. Nobody has to be injured & no property needs to be damaged.

Just flying over people or structures is not reckless endangerment

He was not within 5 Miles of an Airport. I posted the location that he took off from in the second post of this topic. That address is not within 5 Miles of an Airport or DJIGO4 would have placed it within a Restricted Zone and not allowed take off. I validated that using DJI's onw Geofencing Website.

As @JDawg points out. Recreational Drone Flyers can fly at night as long as they have lights upon thier drone that are visible for up to 3 Miles. There are common strobes that forum members purchase to make thier night flights legal.
Well your wrong about the DJI APP ALSO cause I live within 5 miles of palm springs air port and i fly from my yard, i dont go very high but the DJI APP allowed me to fly . So you dont know what your talking about. ( Mod Removed ) Show me where putting lights on your drone allows you to fly at night. It only applies to commercial drone pilots idiot. LEARN THE RULES.

Flying in a area over people is not allowed, and I'm sure he was within 5 miles of an airport also, but flying at night is also not allowed
The rule for recreational flyers is "Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people." Flying over a festival, parade or whatever would be against that rule, but just flying in a city over buildings isn't against the rules.

I know the rules I am a licensed pilot and a licensed jet mechanic. When it come to th FAA I HAVE TO KNOW THE RULES.
Apparently you don't. It's not illegal for recreational flyers in the U.S. to fly their drones at night with proper lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: BD0G and Rogue_Salt
That's some bery nice footage of old William Penn there. Well done.

Bud

That's one of his videos but he also flew at night or very early in the morning when it's dark. I like the guy but I am sure that flying in a city like Philadelphia is totally against the FAA law.

The rule for recreational flyers is "Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people." Flying over a festival, parade or whatever would be against that rule, but just flying in a city over buildings isn't against the rules.
Apparently you don't. It's not illegal for recreational flyers in the U.S. to fly their drones at night with proper lights.
The thing that forum lawyers forget is that whether you complied with regulations or not, if the FAA consider your actions dangerous, they can charge you with reckless endangerment.

Well your wrong about the DJI APP ALSO cause I live within 5 miles of palm springs air port and i fly from my yard, i dont go very high but the DJI APP allowed me to fly . So you dont know what your talking about. Well your an idiot. Show me where putting lights on your drone allows you to fly at night. It only applies to commercial drone pilots idiot. LEARN THE RULES.

You are entitled to your opinion even if its incorrect.
This is a question of fact and so here are the facts related to the current rules and regulations regarding Hobbiest drone flyers and night flight.

Admittedly it can be confusing. Please view the linked youtube video in which Ken Heron (well respected drone flyer) writes to his local FAA Representatives to determine the definitive answer to "Can a Hobbiest Drone Flyer Fly at night legally"

Essentially ,one has to maintain visual line of sight of thier USAS at night and to follow the guidelines and operate in accordance with a set of community based guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community based organization. This is known as the AMA -Academy of Model Aeronautics . Their Guidelines provide that one must have a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the models altitude and orientation at all times.
Please see page 11 of this document published by the AMA Section B Topic 8.
https://suas.modelaircraft.org/ama/images/sUAS_Safety_Program_web.pdf

The FAA defers to the community based organization (AMA) on night flying regulations. The 3 Nautical Mile visible Strobes that are purchased and installed are to aid the drone flyer maintaining a clear view of the models altitude and orientation at all times.

@jimbo69
If there are other topics in which you would like me to prove you wrong please continue to post up.

The thing that forum lawyers forget is that whether you complied with regulations or not, if the FAA consider your actions dangerous, they can charge you with reckless endangerment.

and EDUCATE you.

As per public record the FAA has chosen to resort to education before penalization in the vast majority of the reported incidents.

Does this give a drone flyer the right to fly willy -nilly and with blatant disregard to the rules and regulations? Hell NO!

Here is the DJI Geofencing map for the area in which the flyer in the originally posted video took off from . His take off point was located very near 827 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA1546727249336.png

As one can see there are no Red Rings that symbolize Flight Restricted areas that encompass that point on the map. Additionally , had there been flight restrictions as noted by the DJI Geofencing app then DJIGO4 would have presented a message on screen that would have disallowed the flyer from lifting off.

OK guys I did the best I could without messing up this thread no more than I had to .
Please stay civil in this and if anyone starts up again Do please report it .
Thanks

Why you care? Drone policemen?? I wish you could give people dislike on this forum.
If anyone does stupid stuff it is one thing if it is illegal then it is illegal. Simple, black and white, yes or no. Now what anyone does with the info is another story. Stupid an or illegal effects us all.

If anyone does stupid stuff it is one thing if it is illegal then it is illegal. Simple, black and white, yes or no. Now what anyone does with the info is another story. Stupid an or illegal effects us all.

You need to lighten up. It’s the people you don’t hear or knowable you should focus all of your anxiety at!

Let’s get back to helping each other

Show some love [emoji173]️

For what is is worth I have flown over Philly. Using common sense and not flying close to buildings. Most of all staying away from Center City for a few reasons. 1. Med-Evac choppers come in to the hospitals very quick and there are several hospitals and other buildings with helipads. 2. Common sense tells me Center City is a pedestrian populated area.
This video was shot while waiting for my wife to shop at the Asian market. This flight yielded a few great photos of the center city area..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89