DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's true, it WILL happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
find the biggest and smallest player in the zone, ask them for help; buy em a beer, show em the toy ... "collaborate" empower them
i did, most want to know more and will endorse against those that say "out order" Pied piper theory .. I think thats ok as long as its with "good intent" give back some value happy pics a vid to share .,. rapport .. cheers

Have one next door neighbor buying a drone. It's a start...

Thanks for sharing. Neighbors are special. If you want to fly the new neighborhood after you move, ask the neighbors first. Let them know some general flight plans...not after dark, 100 feet up, open to spectators to come watch. Want to inspect your roof? Get email addresses to give them 24 hour notice. If they have some special event and would prefer a "no fly" day, they can let you know. If they say no, you are going in and planning not to fly in the neighborhood, so not a loss. But you have proven yourself to be a respectful neighbor. Since there is so much suspicion, bad reputation and misinformation, get out in front of it.

Totally agree with you. Being proactive, educate and include should defuse the "D" word Thumbswayup.

I must be lucky. I fly quite often around my neighbourhood, and over the past few months, have a few neighbours interested. One, walking his dogs, tells me everytime he sees me, he's going to buy an MP. Another neighbour wants to buy one for her husband. And finally, one of my elderly neighbours who used to fly RC planes, he spotted me flying the MP in an open area of the neighbourhood one day. He asked me to let him know whenever I fly the drone so he can come out and watch.....He thinks they are amazing!

Looks like it has finally happened. I've occasionally been flying from our backyard in the last few weeks. Since the landscape is obviously rather boring the sole purpose has been checking various camera settings, lenses, practicing smooth flight techniques etc. I like to be prepared before going to a more remote spot to take footage. Due to my job I have very little time to actually play with my toy. It's a matter of practicality and most of the times I actually hover over our own house to try out settings.

I've just bitten many bullets to cool down a heated situation with a neighbor. I was super apologetic - even when he refused to believe even a single fact and had no legal leg to stand on. My ego took a hard hit when I was apologizing repeatedly instead of telling him what the real situation was and that I don't mind in the least if he called the police. Don't get me wrong, I would have told him I'd stop flying around here but not because of him or his threats but because for the sake of peace. He was prob mid thirties - younger than me - and SHOULD have been super interested in it, ask questions and all that. I'm still boiling inside...stuff you do for the sake of peace, I guess. He was on the phone with the police when I came out to talk to him. Chances are cops don't exactly know the law themselves which added to my concern about potentially having a police car pulling up in the middle of the day.

For my stress relieve and your entertainment, here is what I have learned today:
  1. My neighbors, especially the one who gave me a hard time, are convinced their life is of utmost importance and of tremendous interest to other people and drone pilots in particular have nothing better to do than to follow each and every step of them.
  2. All children in my neighborhood are victims of pedophile activity.
  3. Neighbors call the police before they talk to you.
  4. Drones are equipped with military grade, super zoom, night vision cameras.
  5. Neighbors can't tell the difference between 100f and 300f.
  6. Neighbors are not interested in seeing flight data since it's fake and/or edited.
  7. Neighbors will not take the time to take a look at some YouTube footage either.
  8. Hover means spying on a house below.
  9. Neighbors think it is illegal to even look at a house from 250-300f in the air.
  10. I am pedophile and likely pervert.
  11. I somehow manage to fit in a secret life of a Peeping Tom, during night and day, while I'm also spending time with my beautiful wife, my very demanding career, my dog and way too many hobbies.
  12. Occasional flight (6-8 times in 6 weeks, each one lasting 5-15 mins) really means daily & nightly and for many months.
  13. Pit bulls running around unleashed in the neighborhood, while actually illegal, is far more acceptable than drones. No concern about the kids here.
  14. Neighbors that are complaining were actually watching ME while I haven't taken any notice of THEM.
  15. Shooting down drones is considered to be a viable option.
  16. We are actually moving soon which is why I have even dared flying around my backyard. I will not fly a drone in our new neighborhood, period. It WILL cause bitter trouble, no matter what the law says. Don't need that, at the end of the day you have to live with these people and showing some extra courtesy by NOT doing what they hate most helps keep the peace.
  17. The public view on drones is devastatingly grim.
  18. There are modern mid thirty guys out there that have less knowledge or understanding of technology than my own elderly parents!

Looks like it has finally happened. I've occasionally been flying from our backyard in the last few weeks. Since the landscape is obviously rather boring the sole purpose has been checking various camera settings, lenses, practicing smooth flight techniques etc. I like to be prepared before going to a more remote spot to take footage. Due to my job I have very little time to actually play with my toy. It's a matter of practicality and most of the times I actually hover over our own house to try out settings.

I've just bitten many bullets to cool down a heated situation with a neighbor. I was super apologetic - even when he refused to believe even a single fact and had no legal leg to stand on. My ego took a hard hit when I was apologizing repeatedly instead of telling him what the real situation was and that I don't mind in the least if he called the police. Don't get me wrong, I would have told him I'd stop flying around here but not because of him or his threats but because for the sake of peace. He was prob mid thirties - younger than me - and SHOULD have been super interested in it, ask questions and all that. I'm still boiling inside...stuff you do for the sake of peace, I guess. He was on the phone with the police when I came out to talk to him. Chances are cops don't exactly know the law themselves which added to my concern about potentially having a police car pulling up in the middle of the day.

For my stress relieve and your entertainment, here is what I have learned today:
  1. My neighbors, especially the one who gave me a hard time, are convinced their life is of utmost importance and of tremendous interest to other people and drone pilots in particular have nothing better to do than to follow each and every step of them.
  6. Neighbors are not interested in seeing flight data since it's fake and/or edited.
  7. Neighbors will not take the time to take a look at some YouTube footage either.
  9. Neighbors think it is illegal to even look at a house from 250-300f in the air.
  11. I somehow manage to fit in a secret life of a Peeping Tom, during night and day, while I'm also spending time with my beautiful wife, my very demanding career, my dog and way too many hobbies.
  12. Occasional flight (6-8 times in 6 weeks, each one lasting 5-15 mins) really means daily & nightly and for many months.
  13. Pit bulls running around unleashed in the neighborhood, while actually illegal, is far more acceptable than drones. No concern about the kids here.
  14. Neighbors that are complaining were actually watching ME while I haven't taken any notice of THEM.
  16. We are actually moving soon which is why I have even dared flying around my backyard. I will not fly a drone in our new neighborhood, period. It WILL cause bitter trouble, no matter what the law says. Don't need that, at the end of the day you have to live with these people and showing some extra courtesy by NOT doing what they hate most helps keep the peace.
  18. There are modern mid thirty guys out there that have less knowledge or understanding of technology than my own elderly parents!

It's funny, but I live in a trailer park, and have had nearly the opposite reaction. My typical flight, if I fly from my house, to climb up 20', let the thing look at its takeoff area, and since my trailer is near the edge of the park, I climb up and out from over the park. If I'm inspecting my roof or something I'll be over my house, otherwise I'll be up a couple of hundred feet where it's hard to notice me.

I don't care about keeping the drone in LOS, so I just go fly nearby. Everytime someone notices me, I come over with the remote, show them where it is and we are, via the map, and then the FPV and then they'll usually want to see it, and I'll bring it home. When they see it coming their eyes light up, and I'll frame us and take a picture. They love it and I've made friends.

BUT YES IT WILL HAPPEN. I was flying over the beach in a condo I used to rent in a Phantom 3 Pro. Luckily with the video on and being cached to my phone. I'm still embarrassed, but I had put props on the night before and didn't tighten them even a little. Still the self tightening worked, pretty well, until after 10 minutes I got red warning messages about a motor seized, at idle, and I figured I should get it on the ground. I had planned to stay well clear of the condo for sensitive neighbour consideration, but I decided to plop it down in the grass between the Ocean and condo and was outside these people's condo for 30 seconds before i put it down and out ended up in the bushes. I was flying LOS.

I came up the walkway, and found it GONE. My GPS saw the condo it was in. I went and politely asked about it and got swore at for spying, they said it landed on their balcony, "almost in our bedroom", and they would return it to the president of the board of directors the next morning. And slammed the door in my face. I'd lived there for 15 years and the president was my friendly next door neighbor. But suppose I had just moved in?

Anyway, when I saw the recording on my phone, which was near dusk and spectacular, I knew I had it made. The camera was running, caught them takin it from the bushes, even transmitted from the elevator, and got them taking it into their condo. I gave them another chance. They wouldn't answer the door, I said I was calling the police, and they still wouldn't answer the door. Then they arrogantly went out to dinner. A deputy arrived and after he saw the video, no spying, saw the grand theft, he got agitated. When he heard they had left for dinner he got more steamed. When my friend the president said we'd work it out. He said, "Oh no, they're going to jail on grand theft charges. I thought that was a bit severe, said I had lost my temper when I said I wanted to press charges, he said, "OK, but I want to talk to them first, ANDvIT BETTER GO WELL."

Then they weren't picking up his calls at the restaurant. "RESTRICTED" They knew. Finally the F bomb dropper answered, and one off his first sentences was, "LISTEN, IT LANDED ON OUR BALCONY, and..." And the deputy said, "NO YOU LISTEN. YOU'VE JUST ADDED LYING TO A POLICE OFFICER TO YOUR GRAND THEFT CHARGES. YOU ALL AREN'T GOING BACK TO TEXAS ANY TIME SOON. I just saw the entire video, there was no spying, and it didn't land on your balcony!" Boy did that take the air out of the guy. They agreed to bring it back and apologize.

The deputies last words were, "They're lucky they werent here in person, I don't think that would have gone very well." LOL

I felt like an idiot for not tightening the props. I had it idling on my coffee table and it started violently vibrating. Resonance. I grabbed it and it stopped. THEN I checked the props and knew. All that drama because I didn't do a good preflight! But they were paranoid anti - drone fanatics all ready to make a drink over nothing.

It's funny, but I live in a trailer park, and have had nearly the opposite reaction. My typical flight, if I fly from my house, to climb up 20', let the thing look at its takeoff area, and since my trailer is near the edge of the park, I climb up and out from over the park. If I'm inspecting my roof or something I'll be over my house, otherwise I'll be up a couple of hundred feet where it's hard to notice me.

I don't care about keeping the drone in LOS, so I just go fly nearby. Everytime someone notices me, I come over with the remote, show them where it is and we are, via the map, and then the FPV and then they'll usually want to see it, and I'll bring it home. When they see it coming their eyes light up, and I'll frame us and take a picture. They love it and I've made friends.

BUT YES IT WILL HAPPEN. I was flying over the beach in a condo I used to rent in a Phantom 3 Pro. Luckily with the video on and being cached to my phone. I'm still embarrassed, but I had put props on the night before and didn't tighten them even a little. Still the self tightening worked, pretty well, until after 10 minutes I got red warning messages about a motor seized, at idle, and I figured I should get it on the ground. I had planned to stay well clear of the condo for sensitive neighbour consideration, but I decided to plop it down in the grass between the Ocean and condo and was outside these people's condo for 30 seconds before i put it down and out ended up in the bushes. I was flying LOS.

I came up the walkway, and found it GONE. My GPS saw the condo it was in. I went and politely asked about it and got swore at for spying, they said it landed on their balcony, "almost in our bedroom", and they would return it to the president of the board of directors the next morning. And slammed the door in my face. I'd lived there for 15 years and the president was my friendly next door neighbor. But suppose I had just moved in?

Anyway, when I saw the recording on my phone, which was near dusk and spectacular, I knew I had it made. The camera was running, caught them takin it from the bushes, even transmitted from the elevator, and got them taking it into their condo. I gave them another chance. They wouldn't answer the door, I said I was calling the police, and they still wouldn't answer the door. Then they arrogantly went out to dinner. A deputy arrived and after he saw the video, no spying, saw the grand theft, he got agitated. When he heard they had left for dinner he got more steamed. When my friend the president said we'd work it out. He said, "Oh no, they're going to jail on grand theft charges. I thought that was a bit severe, said I had lost my temper when I said I wanted to press charges, he said, "OK, but I want to talk to them first, ANDvIT BETTER GO WELL."

Then they weren't picking up his calls at the restaurant. "RESTRICTED" They knew. Finally the F bomb dropper answered, and one off his first sentences was, "LISTEN, IT LANDED ON OUR BALCONY, and..." And the deputy said, "NO YOU LISTEN. YOU'VE JUST ADDED LYING TO A POLICE OFFICER TO YOUR GRAND THEFT CHARGES. YOU ALL AREN'T GOING BACK TO TEXAS ANY TIME SOON. I just saw the entire video, there was no spying, and it didn't land on your balcony!" Boy did that take the air out of the guy. They agreed to bring it back and apologize.

The deputies last words were, "They're lucky they werent here in person, I don't think that would have gone very well." LOL

I felt like an idiot for not tightening the props. I had it idling on my coffee table and it started violently vibrating. Resonance. I grabbed it and it stopped. THEN I checked the props and knew. All that drama because I didn't do a good preflight! But they were paranoid anti - drone fanatics all ready to make a drink over nothing.
Great job by LEO:) So for the sole reason of ,those are the type of people that will LIE to SUE YOU,or LIE TO HAVE YOU ARRESTED,,I would have let LEO have his way with them. Their sorry now that they got caught,but I'll be willing to bet,next tie they will be smarter about it

Yes my Neighbour also told that I might be spying on them. I told him unless he have a 1 meter long ***** or his wife have one too and maybe a third breast , I might be interested, but otherwise I can google all that if I really want to see that. I rather enjoy my drone and see things from above.
He left with a very red face. Next time I see his wife, I will tell her that her husband said she have a ***** too and I must zoom in with my drone.

Yes my Neighbour also told that I might be spying on them. I told him unless he have a 1 meter long ***** or his wife have one too and maybe a third breast , I might be interested, but otherwise I can google all that if I really want to see that. I rather enjoy my drone and see things from above.
He left with a very red face. Next time I see his wife, I will tell her that her husband said she have a ***** too and I must zoom in with my drone.
I dont know, might to pushing it there. Kind of like getting into a fight with a bully ,take him down,let him know you're not the one .Your good to go.Move on.BUT if you just keep taking him down, for no reason,,,you're the bully:eek:

Reactions: CoolBreeze
Yeah and your right with all your list - question is what do you do?
My feeling is about NOT drawing attention to yourself at all.
My practise has been get away, get it up high then fly to where you want.
It took some courage to fly 92m up and 998 m away but the **** thing works!

i actually told all my neighbours when i first got my drone look i have a drone i will sometimes be testing it up and down the road and maybe it will appear for a second or two over around your house etc.

Not one has said anything negative, the odd neighbour asks if that was me out flying yesterday etc etc (normally not me there is another mavic owner near by who tends to buzz a lot over the hosues). i explained that if i fly down the road or out above my garden i am purely testing for a flight later that day or before transporting the drone abroad. i gave them my you tube link to look at and i never ever get a complaint.

Maybe we'll have soon drones gated communities lol...

Sorry to ask. But all this happens in US?
Do not get me wrong. I do love USA.
But there is a lot of freak ! Why that?
I know some reasons, but it is too much!
Here in Brazil you can fly freely and no asks are made (in most of the cases). Instead they support you and show a lot of curiosity about how drones work and stuff

And always say "What a such toy, hu!" :rolleyes:

But, I know Brazil is not a good example.....:)o_O

Sorry to ask. But all this happens in US?
Do not get me wrong. I do love USA.
But there is a lot of freak ! Why that?
I know some reasons, but it is too much!
Here in Brazil you can fly freely and no asks are made (in most of the cases). Instead they support you and show a lot of curiosity about how drones work and stuff

And always say "What a such toy, hu!" :rolleyes:

But, I know Brazil is not a good example.....:)o_O

Reading some of the combating, arguing, unkind responses to neighbors, it's possible individuals are provoking rather then defusing the situation.
Certainly no way to address someone. Golden Rule should be applied.

It's about respect and consideration...

Lesson # 4389:
95% of human population are brainless, vicious ^^^^^. Remaining 5% are members of this forum...

Not to derail the thread, but I am a lawyer. That means I witness, investigate and resolve disputes for a living.

Let me make this as clear as possible....this statement is INCORRECT: "95% of human population are brainless, vicious ^^^^^"

Here's the truth -- it's not 95%....it's actually 100%. But it's not because people are brainless....it's because we are all essentially animals. We all have very basic animal instincts. One of the strongest is: SURVIVAL. What this means is pretty simple -- when a person feels threatened (doesn't matter if the threat is big or small, near or remote), our normal instinct is to protect ourselves....at ALL costs. That means if a person sees a threat, they will often do ANYTHING necessary to feel safe. In this scenario, the normal response is almost always overkill. Just look at all the examples of police shooting unarmed civilians. They all say exactly the same thing: "I felt threatened, so I shot the guy. I had no choice."

This is, sadly, just basic human nature. People like to think we are *superior* to animals. We're not. We are exactly the same. If you frighten a dog, what happens? The dog will bite you.

Same thing with people. If a person feels afraid/threatened (even if the threat is really no big deal), the normal response is to go nuclear....and FAST. That means an otherwise good person will lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc.....basically they will do ANYTHING they feel is needed to eliminate the threat.

This is just something to keep in mind when you experience a conflict with another person. It's always best to de-escalate things as soon as possible, and if possible, try to educate the other person to help them understand, it's just a friggin' drone.....it's not a threat.

Not to derail the thread, but I am a lawyer. That means I witness, investigate and resolve disputes for a living.

Let me make this as clear as possible....this statement is INCORRECT: "95% of human population are brainless, vicious ^^^^^"

Here's the truth -- it's not 95%....it's actually 100%. But it's not because people are brainless....it's because we are all essentially animals. We all have very basic animal instincts. One of the strongest is: SURVIVAL. What this means is pretty simple -- when a person feels threatened (doesn't matter if the threat is big or small, near or remote), our normal instinct is to protect ourselves....at ALL costs. That means if a person sees a threat, they will often do ANYTHING necessary to feel safe. In this scenario, the normal response is almost always overkill. Just look at all the examples of police shooting unarmed civilians. They all say exactly the same thing: "I felt threatened, so I shot the guy. I had no choice."

This is, sadly, just basic human nature. People like to think we are *superior* to animals. We're not. We are exactly the same. If you frighten a dog, what happens? The dog will bite you.

Same thing with people. If a person feels afraid/threatened (even if the threat is really no big deal), the normal response is to go nuclear....and FAST. That means an otherwise good person will lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc.....basically they will do ANYTHING they feel is needed to eliminate the threat.

This is just something to keep in mind when you experience a conflict with another person. It's always best to de-escalate things as soon as possible, and if possible, try to educate the other person to help them understand, it's just a friggin' drone.....it's not a threat.

Woof!

Sorry about your mankind views. Perhaps views tainted by your chosen profession.

Are not people different then animals? As we have free will, concise, even a soul, and the ability to control ourselves?

No need to answer my rhetorical question. This is a Mavic site not a philosophical discussion site.

Fly in peace, love and harmony

Sorry about your mankind views. Perhaps views tainted by your chosen profession.

Are not people different then animals? As we have free will, concise, even a soul, and the ability to control ourselves?

No need to answer my rhetorical question. This is a Mavic site not a philosophical discussion site.

Fly in peace, love and harmony

I'm sorry too, and you are 100% correct - I view the world through the lens of my job. And I know that I tend to see good people at their worst....just comes with the territory.

And you are also right this is a forum about drones, not philosophy...so enough on that side topic!

I get a lil concerned about flying in my neighborhood too, but i do it anyway. I'm actually less concerned about my neighbors, because i follow the rules and even though we dont have to be registered i'm registered, i also have a membership with the AMA which claims to provide liability insurance with their membership. I say claim because hopefully i will never have to file a claim to actually know if they are gonna toss out some stipulation in the event i do hahaha.

My biggest concern, when i fly from my yard through the neighborhood, which is basically the only place i fly from, are the hawks that seem to have a slight interest in it. None has ever made an attempt at it but they always seem to come out of no where when i fly hahaha. And also that factor that something may go wrong, but to this day nothing has.

But if the drone laws in your community permits you to fly then i say do so. as long as you are not hoovering over someones home for a long period of time, you are doing nothing wrong. And if you are only hoovering over your own home, you are in legally within the airspace of your property.

Stand your ground and keep flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard