DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's true, it WILL happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, but I live in a trailer park, and have had nearly the opposite reaction. My typical flight, if I fly from my house, to climb up 20', let the thing look at its takeoff area, and since my trailer is near the edge of the park, I climb up and out from over the park. If I'm inspecting my roof or something I'll be over my house, otherwise I'll be up a couple of hundred feet where it's hard to notice me.

I don't care about keeping the drone in LOS, so I just go fly nearby. Everytime someone notices me, I come over with the remote, show them where it is and we are, via the map, and then the FPV and then they'll usually want to see it, and I'll bring it home. When they see it coming their eyes light up, and I'll frame us and take a picture. They love it and I've made friends.

BUT YES IT WILL HAPPEN. I was flying over the beach in a condo I used to rent in a Phantom 3 Pro. Luckily with the video on and being cached to my phone. I'm still embarrassed, but I had put props on the night before and didn't tighten them even a little. Still the self tightening worked, pretty well, until after 10 minutes I got red warning messages about a motor seized, at idle, and I figured I should get it on the ground. I had planned to stay well clear of the condo for sensitive neighbour consideration, but I decided to plop it down in the grass between the Ocean and condo and was outside these people's condo for 30 seconds before i put it down and out ended up in the bushes. I was flying LOS.

I came up the walkway, and found it GONE. My GPS saw the condo it was in. I went and politely asked about it and got swore at for spying, they said it landed on their balcony, "almost in our bedroom", and they would return it to the president of the board of directors the next morning. And slammed the door in my face. I'd lived there for 15 years and the president was my friendly next door neighbor. But suppose I had just moved in?

Anyway, when I saw the recording on my phone, which was near dusk and spectacular, I knew I had it made. The camera was running, caught them takin it from the bushes, even transmitted from the elevator, and got them taking it into their condo. I gave them another chance. They wouldn't answer the door, I said I was calling the police, and they still wouldn't answer the door. Then they arrogantly went out to dinner. A deputy arrived and after he saw the video, no spying, saw the grand theft, he got agitated. When he heard they had left for dinner he got more steamed. When my friend the president said we'd work it out. He said, "Oh no, they're going to jail on grand theft charges. I thought that was a bit severe, said I had lost my temper when I said I wanted to press charges, he said, "OK, but I want to talk to them first, ANDvIT BETTER GO WELL."

Then they weren't picking up his calls at the restaurant. "RESTRICTED" They knew. Finally the F bomb dropper answered, and one off his first sentences was, "LISTEN, IT LANDED ON OUR BALCONY, and..." And the deputy said, "NO YOU LISTEN. YOU'VE JUST ADDED LYING TO A POLICE OFFICER TO YOUR GRAND THEFT CHARGES. YOU ALL AREN'T GOING BACK TO TEXAS ANY TIME SOON. I just saw the entire video, there was no spying, and it didn't land on your balcony!" Boy did that take the air out of the guy. They agreed to bring it back and apologize.

The deputies last words were, "They're lucky they werent here in person, I don't think that would have gone very well." LOL

I felt like an idiot for not tightening the props. I had it idling on my coffee table and it started violently vibrating. Resonance. I grabbed it and it stopped. THEN I checked the props and knew. All that drama because I didn't do a good preflight! But they were paranoid anti - drone fanatics all ready to make a drink over nothing.

I forgot to mention the one BAD experience in the park. I had gotten some big head tracking goggles, but no DGI GO info was shown anywhere. So I was letting people try the goggles, and flying strictly by LOS, and it's not really my strong point, so I stayed very close, an inadvertently spent to much time over this one house. She didn't realize the view from the air was a sea of mobile homes. To even see hers, you'd have to Gimble the camera straight down. But she thought her privacy wss being violated, and came over, and if alone, I would have schmoozed her, for the sake of the hobby, plus I'm generally nice. But the 4 people I was instantly ganged up on her. With my sister using her golden tongue, "We've seen you naked, and you're ugly!" I asked if she wanted to see through the goggles, which would have defused the situation, but it was too late. My sister did feel bad, and walking around the park, saw her during a family get together and apologized. She ssid we weren't even aware of her house but should have been polite, and addressed her concerns. Then she said I'm sorry I said we saw you naked. Her family loved it and howled with laughter, and my sister said she was really nice.

See that's the thing, I used to start from my yard and then shoot that thing up full stick to 250-300f as fast as possible so that nobody freaks out. I even tried night flying so that I would not disturb anyone but no, they are on my case. It's bizarre how they notice it that far up. People's sensitivity and alertness is far higher than I thought.

Yesterday I was in an abandoned quarry, a very quiet place, and I could hear my Mavic while it was 220 meters over, and that's more than 600 f

Never really had a problem,even this guy wasent a problem,he annoyed me ,HE IRKED ME,,,,BAD .thinking I'm gonna bend at the knee for him. i'm not the one
Most people are intrigued,and some could care less,some might disapprove but as long as your not hovering over them or stalking them...??Another thing I do is tell them I probably have some good aerial pics do you want me to send them to ya? ask them to text ya an email addy and i'll send them pics.Thats a BIG hit.People love those water pics of their family that they cant get from standing on the beach.I sent sent out 25-30 pics to 2 different families and heres the response from today
Thanks so much...these are fantastic!
next on is,,,
my wife hates you because now I want one

I'm not sure confirmation you filmed them is always a good idea...

Currently, I live in Turkey and do you know what? There is no such a thing like get off my property thing. There’s no concept of “stay away from my property or I will shoot”
Here is an example;

I was a teen in Germany and they have a large Turkish working population. Not to paint with too broad a brush but most of the Turks I bumped into were *extremely* protective to the point of belligerence. I saw a knife fight once because a guy thought another guy blowing smoke rings was some sort of come on to his wife/girl.
so, nothing like the Turks (gastarbeiter) I was around at all. Consider yourself blessed.

I was a teen in Germany and they have a large Turkish working population. Not to paint with too broad a brush but most of the Turks I bumped into were *extremely* protective to the point of belligerence. I saw a knife fight once because a guy thought another guy blowing smoke rings was some sort of come on to his wife/girl.
so, nothing like the Turks (gastarbeiter) I was around at all. Consider yourself blessed.

Well, I can’t blame you for what you had witnessed and experienced throughout your stay in Germany. Turks can be aggressive time to time but not all of them.

The ones who live in Germany are usually degenerated to a point which they lose their Turkish cultural values and heritage at the same time fail to adapt the civilized values of the west. They hang somewhere in between like a purgatory.

I had an actual fight with one of those German-Turks who came to Turkey for vacation. He started to insult my father because he claimed our summerhouse was causing water damage to their summerhouse and we claimed it wasn’t our fault. I told the guy to watch his mouth after that he totally freaked out and threw empty threats to me yelling. I told him to shut the ( mod removed ) up and he backed down until his brother in law ( 2 meters tall big guy) came into the argument and suddenly punched me in the face breaking my sunglasses. I fought back but it was two to one and one of them was a big fella. I got punched and had few kicks on my legs with bruises until I ran to my car grabbed my pepper spray along with my electro shock device and ( mod removed ) the big fella up. Then I called the military police on them and they were pulled to the station. Both of them had double citizenship (Turkish and German) and they were military service run aways. Every Turkish male citizen is required to go to military and serve for a time. They failed to postpone or report I don’t know exactly what and I don’t care about their problem but in the end they were in custody for running away from the service and the last time I saw their face, they turned white because of the fear.( mod removed ) what they are. So I get your point...
But
You shouldn’t generalize Turkish people into this. Most of Turkish people you can find in Turkey are hard working and honest people who will not brother you unless you intentionally provoke them into conflict.
There’s so many hatred toward Turkish heritage and people because of historical incidents and grudges. I can sense the sarcasm in your tone and I hope it’s not because of historical grudge and hatred but a bad experience you had back in Germany. Turkey is a beautiful country where you can meet many nice people who can share their soul with you.
The bottom line is that Turkey and Turks aren’t like the ones you find in Germany. Again, ordinary people just mind their own business here and will not attack you unless you provoke them, just like in the states...

I hope your next interaction with Turks would be a pleasurable one and fix your outlook over Turks and Turkish heritage. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience but you shouldn’t judge a book by just looking at its cover.

Bad people are bad not because of their background but how they were raised and cultured. Being a Turk has nothing to do with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ease up there buddy - you're reading far far too much into what I said and sarcasm dang sure wasn't in there. I explicitly stated "not to paint with too broad a brush" menaing I know this isn't indicative of all Turkish people. I detailed what I had experience with and ended with - "consider yourself blessed" - pretty much meaning I'm glad your experiences have been different. I also explicitly detailed my experiences were with "gastarbeiter" - Guest Workers as they are known in German. They still call them this in spite of the fact that many are several generations German born.
I dunno what the heck is going on with people online getting tense over trivialities. Put away your social justice outrage and pay attention to what I said.

PS: I could argue that Turkish culture usually means the general population and is in fact a part of how they are raised.

Ease up there buddy - you're reading far far too much into what I said and sarcasm dang sure wasn't in there. I explicitly stated "not to paint with too broad a brush" menaing I know this isn't indicative of all Turkish people. I detailed what I had experience with and ended with - "consider yourself blessed" - pretty much meaning I'm glad your experiences have been different. I also explicitly detailed my experiences were with "gastarbeiter" - Guest Workers as they are known in German. They still call them this in spite of the fact that many are several generations German born.
I dunno what the heck is going on with people online getting tense over trivialities.

I don’t think I’m the one who is tense here but you with your response stating that I far far read much into it sir. I’m not looking for an argument or any kind of discussion involving hatred and trivialities. Unfortunately, you immediately jump into conclusions and tag me as someone who is looking for trivial arguments and a keyboard warrior which made me feel disappointed and hurt my feelings since I consider you as a fellow drone pilot who I can share experience with just like any other person here. In my first text, I had provided information for other drone pilots that they can fly their drones in Turkey without a problem and offer them company as a token of my goodwill and making new friends whom I share common hobby. I intended no insult to you or provocation. My point was to clarify that Turks aren’t running around with knifes and fight over women.

I know what gastarbeiter means and agree with you about how these people still identify themselves as gastarbeiter. Such pity that some of 3rd generation of German-Turks can be as ( mod removed ) and gave you my own experience with them which you totally ignored. It’s strange and ironic since there is tension in our discussion yet we are on the same page.

Your comment had negativity regarding Turks and not a single speck of positive information so I felt like I should clarify that Turks are also good people. I can understand that you don’t mean that all Turks are bad but your text isn’t as clear as you thought it would be in your mind or thinking process sir.
Please try to understand that all I wanna do here is to give a clear picture of Turkish people to my fellow drone pilots so they wouldn’t have biases regarding Turkey.
Turkey is a touristic country so many people around the world come to this country for vacation and some of them bring their drones. I have seen some people here in this forum had visited or planing to visit Turkey so I wanted to share my flying experience with them.
Try to look at the case from my shoes...

I hope, we maintain friendly attitude toward each other and stay as gentleman. Please don’t confuse me as a keyboard warrior or someone who is looking for argument. I’m here for drones not wars...

Thank you for understanding sir.

Nope - sorry, you're picking a fight and I want no part of it. Your post is replete with perfect examples of someone acting all butthurt over a contrived misunderstanding.
Ciao.

Wow [emoji50] such a nice gentleman, good day to you sir.

Please try to understand that all I wanna do here is to give a clear picture of Turkish people to my fellow drone pilots so they wouldn’t have biases regarding Turkey.
Turkey is a touristic country so many people around the world come to this country for vacation and some of them bring their drones. I have seen some people here in this forum had visited or planing to visit Turkey so I wanted to share my flying experience with them.
Try to look at the case from my shoes...

Turkey Travel Warning

Sir please stop blemishing Turkey’s image. There are good people live in this country. These warnings are often issued by the state department for many foreign countries and doesn’t hold serious warning. Turkey is a secular, utilitarian and a democratic state a member of NATO and been a strong ally of the United States. I think, what you write here is hateful which is really disappointing. I was expecting open minded and civilized manner from you but all I get is insults. Not long ago there was an attack in Las Vegas which caused a massive tragedy, so many young lives had diminished only because a gun freak lost his mind started to shoot at people after killing his family. If you are so concerned about safety maybe you should support gun control...

Just posting what the experts in the government have to say - you'll note that it is recent.
So I'll pass. Glad you like it there though.

In 2016 and 2017, numerous coordinated and spontaneous terrorist attacks involving shootings, suicide bombings, and vehicle-borne bombings in tourist areas, public spaces, private celebrations, sporting events, and government, police, and military facilities throughout Turkey resulted in hundreds of deaths. Examples from 2017 include: A fatal attack on a Turkish National Police officer in Istanbul on August 13; a bombing of a police facility in Diyarbakir on April 12; an attack against a courthouse in Izmir by two armed assailants on January 5; and a mass shooting at an Istanbul nightclub on January 1.

Additional attacks in Turkey could occur without warning at major sporting and/or cultural spectator events, tourist sites, restaurants, nightclubs, commercial centers, places of worship, and transportation hubs, including aviation services, metros, buses, bridges, bus terminals, and sea transport. Terrorist organizations in Turkey have explicitly targeted U.S. and other foreign tourists and expatriates for kidnapping and assassination. Heightened anti-American rhetoric has the potential to inspire independent actors to carry out acts of violence against U.S. citizens. We remind U.S. citizens to review their personal security plans including communications preparedness/connectivity; monitor local news for breaking events; remain vigilant at all times; and check in with loved ones after an attack or security incident.

The Turkish government has, at times, restricted internet access, restricted political gatherings, and blocked media content. Turkish authorities have detained U.S. citizens without granting access to lawyers or family members. Several U.S. citizens who were not physically detained have been either deported or legally banned from departing Turkey;

People had lived and still living in this land in peace for thousands of years. Where I live right now is the western part of Turkey which is Aegean region and yes I like the nature and history here, peaceful...
As Herodotus said,who had lived in the same city as I live today, 2500 years ago;

“The ears of men are lesser agents of belief than their eyes”

He also quoted about where he lived...

“A land of great beauty under the most beautiful heaven where the climate is perfect”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this region is the most beautiful place on earth but it has its own aura of ancient mythology, mystery and a lovely nature. Just like the rest of the world (except war zones), this regions is also beautiful and safe...

He said these words so many years ago and you can only understand it if you breath the fresh air here.

That’s what I feel every time I fly my mavic. I get a great pleasure when go to the rooftop of my house 2 hours before sunset when the sun is forgiving and everything peaceful. As a gentle breeze carry the scent of fresh air I start up my mavic and fly across the spectacular fields of olive and fig trees. Capture the lovely scenery that satisfied people for thousands of years. Then I say to my self... what would ancients say if they would be able to see the nature from up above and think of this marvelous device of Mavic...

I guess this is a sentiment you wouldn’t comprehend since a casual warning is good enough for you to tag this lovely place as a war zone...

I’m so disappointed [emoji17]

Reactions: Duse
Thread lock in 3... 2... 1...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] yes this topic isn’t going anywhere so I’m just gonna have to leave it to its own and see how it flows. Tired of typing anyways...

And I don't like reports so this closed for the moment and might even reopen :)
tep closed.jpg

Nope it is closed .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760