DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's true, it WILL happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel insanely fortunate every time I see a post like this. I have never once been greeted with hostility. I own my own mechanic shop, and it is on the same property as my house. Every time I have my Mavic in the air when someone comes in, they have a million questions about it. They are dying of curiosity to see the pictures and video, and loving every single minute of it. And of the 30 or so that have watched me fly so far, there was only one who didn't ask me about coming to take pictures of their properties. Some offer money, some talk about how awesome of a view I would have from their house. I get a lot of adds on Facebook shortly after from people who find out I occasionally share my pictures.

I'm really sorry to hear that so many of you are having so much trouble in your areas. I know how discouraging it can be... and I definitely know how one supreme (insert derogatory term here) can cast a shadow so big it hides all the great people who would share your excitement. But it definitely isn't everyone who acts that way. So keep your chin up.

Looks like it has finally happened. I've occasionally been flying from our backyard in the last few weeks. Since the landscape is obviously rather boring the sole purpose has been checking various camera settings, lenses, practicing smooth flight techniques etc. I like to be prepared before going to a more remote spot to take footage. Due to my job I have very little time to actually play with my toy. It's a matter of practicality and most of the times I actually hover over our own house to try out settings.

I've just bitten many bullets to cool down a heated situation with a neighbor.

People that act out like your neighbor does tend to have issues with all kinds of things. If you ask around, you may find that your other neighbors, local merchants, and his coworkers feel the same way as you do about him, and for the same reason.

Looks like it has finally happened. I've occasionally been flying from our backyard in the last few weeks. Since the landscape is obviously rather boring the sole purpose has been checking various camera settings, lenses, practicing smooth flight techniques etc. I like to be prepared before going to a more remote spot to take footage. Due to my job I have very little time to actually play with my toy. It's a matter of practicality and most of the times I actually hover over our own house to try out settings.

I've just bitten many bullets to cool down a heated situation with a neighbor. I was super apologetic - even when he refused to believe even a single fact and had no legal leg to stand on. My ego took a hard hit when I was apologizing repeatedly instead of telling him what the real situation was and that I don't mind in the least if he called the police. Don't get me wrong, I would have told him I'd stop flying around here but not because of him or his threats but because for the sake of peace. He was prob mid thirties - younger than me - and SHOULD have been super interested in it, ask questions and all that. I'm still boiling inside...stuff you do for the sake of peace, I guess. He was on the phone with the police when I came out to talk to him. Chances are cops don't exactly know the law themselves which added to my concern about potentially having a police car pulling up in the middle of the day.

For my stress relieve and your entertainment, here is what I have learned today:
  1. My neighbors, especially the one who gave me a hard time, are convinced their life is of utmost importance and of tremendous interest to other people and drone pilots in particular have nothing better to do than to follow each and every step of them.
  2. All children in my neighborhood are victims of pedophile activity.
  3. Neighbors call the police before they talk to you.
  4. Drones are equipped with military grade, super zoom, night vision cameras.
  5. Neighbors can't tell the difference between 100f and 300f.
  6. Neighbors are not interested in seeing flight data since it's fake and/or edited.
  7. Neighbors will not take the time to take a look at some YouTube footage either.
  8. Hover means spying on a house below.
  9. Neighbors think it is illegal to even look at a house from 250-300f in the air.
  10. I am pedophile and likely pervert.
  11. I somehow manage to fit in a secret life of a Peeping Tom, during night and day, while I'm also spending time with my beautiful wife, my very demanding career, my dog and way too many hobbies.
  12. Occasional flight (6-8 times in 6 weeks, each one lasting 5-15 mins) really means daily & nightly and for many months.
  13. Pit bulls running around unleashed in the neighborhood, while actually illegal, is far more acceptable than drones. No concern about the kids here.
  14. Neighbors that are complaining were actually watching ME while I haven't taken any notice of THEM.
  15. Shooting down drones is considered to be a viable option.
  16. We are actually moving soon which is why I have even dared flying around my backyard. I will not fly a drone in our new neighborhood, period. It WILL cause bitter trouble, no matter what the law says. Don't need that, at the end of the day you have to live with these people and showing some extra courtesy by NOT doing what they hate most helps keep the peace.
  17. The public view on drones is devastatingly grim.
  18. There are modern mid thirty guys out there that have less knowledge or understanding of technology than my own elderly parents!
I've had similar experiences people are incredibly ignorant and paranoid.

when you live in the city and neighbors are close you tend to watch things that you can do , i don't fly my drone in my neighborhood , i probably could but there is this one neighbor that mite just call the police or complain but not to my face , they have never said anything about me starting up my Vette ( open pipes ) or running my RC Monster trucks up and down the block but i really don't know what they are thinking , kids love them and sometimes ask when are you coming out or have you any new new toys or can i drive it .
some people are just mean and like to make trouble they have nothing going on in there life and can't mind there own business .
fly safe

View attachment 17826 View attachment 17826

I've just bitten many bullets to cool down a heated situation with a neighbor. I was super apologetic - even when he refused to believe even a single fact and had no legal leg to stand on. My ego took a hard hit when I was apologizing repeatedly instead of telling him what the real situation was and that I don't mind in the least if he called the police. Don't get me wrong, I would have told him I'd stop flying around here but not because of him or his threats but because for the sake of peace. He was prob mid thirties - younger than me - and SHOULD have been super interested in it, ask questions and all that. I'm still boiling inside...stuff you do for the sake of peace, I guess. He was on the phone with the police when I came out to talk to him. Chances are cops don't exactly know the law themselves which added to my concern about potentially having a police car pulling up in the middle of the day.

For my stress relieve and your entertainment, here is what I have learned today:
  1. My neighbors, especially the one who gave me a hard time, are convinced their life is of utmost importance and of tremendous interest to other people and drone pilots in particular have nothing better to do than to follow each and every step of them.
  6. Neighbors are not interested in seeing flight data since it's fake and/or edited.
  7. Neighbors will not take the time to take a look at some YouTube footage either.
  9. Neighbors think it is illegal to even look at a house from 250-300f in the air.
  11. I somehow manage to fit in a secret life of a Peeping Tom, during night and day, while I'm also spending time with my beautiful wife, my very demanding career, my dog and way too many hobbies.
  12. Occasional flight (6-8 times in 6 weeks, each one lasting 5-15 mins) really means daily & nightly and for many months.
  13. Pit bulls running around unleashed in the neighborhood, while actually illegal, is far more acceptable than drones. No concern about the kids here.
  14. Neighbors that are complaining were actually watching ME while I haven't taken any notice of THEM.
  16. We are actually moving soon which is why I have even dared flying around my backyard. I will not fly a drone in our new neighborhood, period. It WILL cause bitter trouble, no matter what the law says. Don't need that, at the end of the day you have to live with these people and showing some extra courtesy by NOT doing what they hate most helps keep the peace.
  18. There are modern mid thirty guys out there that have less knowledge or understanding of technology than my own elderly parents!

I live in a river front cul-de-sec HOA community, only 4 foot fences near to your house allowed, yards run into each other with out fences. Friendly neighbors/friends are much more suttle, nevertheless the first question asked is, "Does it have a camera?"

One neighbor has a hot tub and outdoor shower, with newly installed curtains. Another neighbor is buying a drone :D.

I launch and land my Mavic from my bedroom second floor deck with route avoiding neighbors, low and away from all houses toward river. Don't fly early morning weekends. I'm retired neighbors work weekdays. Flight complaints could cause HOA to restrict flights from area.

Every chance I get I show nature and scenery videos I shot. Your correct, doesn't change a thing.

For fun I tell tell people I fly a UAV, you know, like a RC plane, helicopters and quad copters. Avoid the "D" drone word. Then observe the change when you say "drone :confused:."

I empathize with your plight. If you were flying a RC plane neighbor reaction would be different.

with 600 flights I've only had 3 negative issues
#1 = drunken neighbor said I was spying on her .My reply was "oh yeah out of all the girls to spy on,your the one.kind of like watching the heifers in the field"
#2= guy said he could shoot it down,but he wont.My reply"I could punch you in the throat,but I wont"
#3 Lady on the beach said I was invading her space.(she was 2 blocks away)My reply"Go Away"
Most people are amazed and request pics
Some guys just fricking creepy and say $hit like oh yeah you can check out this girl or that girl.(And they're not kidding about it)My reply"WTF is wrong with you" (rhetorical)

Thanks for sharing. Neighbors are special. If you want to fly the new neighborhood after you move, ask the neighbors first. Let them know some general flight plans...not after dark, 100 feet up, open to spectators to come watch. Want to inspect your roof? Get email addresses to give them 24 hour notice. If they have some special event and would prefer a "no fly" day, they can let you know. If they say no, you are going in and planning not to fly in the neighborhood, so not a loss. But you have proven yourself to be a respectful neighbor. Since there is so much suspicion, bad reputation and misinformation, get out in front of it.

Most of my neighbours are curious & ask all the right questions, but, it only takes that one neighbour.
Always seems to be the loudest, most biligerant, you know, the one that complains about anything,
Thankfully, the local police don't seem to want to get involved at all!

Thanks for sharing. Neighbors are special. If you want to fly the new neighborhood after you move, ask the neighbors first. Let them know some general flight plans...not after dark, 100 feet up, open to spectators to come watch. Want to inspect your roof? Get email addresses to give them 24 hour notice. If they have some special event and would prefer a "no fly" day, they can let you know. If they say no, you are going in and planning not to fly in the neighborhood, so not a loss. But you have proven yourself to be a respectful neighbor. Since there is so much suspicion, bad reputation and misinformation, get out in front of it.
I guess it depends on the neighborhood ,but
honestly I wouldn't ask,I would inform them(one time) that I fly ,and im not checking them out ,but thats about it.Im sure the hell not sending you a notice .If they dont like it,do whatever you feel you have to do

find the biggest and smallest player in the zone, ask them for help; buy em a beer, show em the toy ... "collaborate" empower them
i did, most want to know more and will endorse against those that say "out order" Pied piper theory .. I think thats ok as long as its with "good intent" give back some value happy pics a vid to share .,. rapport .. cheers

Recently i flew over an open area (no houses or buildings, but started near a house (20m) but did not fly over at all within short time the house owner came asked to stop as the rc causes his bad tv signal ( Though i have master degree in electronic science I swallowed the question if he could me kindly show the damaged tv picture on his tv) 400Mhz != 2.4GHz. Maybe if i asked him politely to show me his tv in order to contact dji to avoid "the frequency interference" i would like to see his face.....

Last edited:

I don't know where you live weather city or country ( some small areas in the country are close together) but you really have great patience and are very considerate, which is great and all but really does nothing for the hobbyist that lets mindless twits that feel all those listed thoughts people (neighbors) feel. I feel like those type individuals need to be informed. You could tried to explain to them what is really going on. To a degree I do understand you may not want confrontation but they did not have any problem confronting you. These ignorant people need to understand that you have your rights and as long as you were not breaking any laws or local ordinances you really should have kept on flying. I understand if you disagree but I probably would have to him go ahead call the police I wait right here you know where I live, but that's me I wish you the best at your next location, maybe you might have a neighbor or two that flies. Good luck

I have had no problems flying around my neighborhood. I am almost always at 400ft. Most people never look up and at 400ft it is difficult to see or hear a Mavic.

I live in a very small country town in Texas. Mostly elderly retired people, (like myself!) 68!
I am the ONLY guy around here that "DRONES". A few weeks ago, I took my Mavic next door and said "I'm sure you have heard of drones, so I thought I would show you what they really are like". I showed it to my neighbor and took it up over her and my property. Flew around at about 300 ft. filming. Landed and she was
blown away!! She is about 75. I then made a DVD with country music for her and took it over there. Her son was there and he is younger than I. A few days later she called and said "WOW, my son and I really enjoyed the video and the music was great. He wants a drone for Christmas from his wife"!

IMG_2734.PNG Mavic stops traffic.

Sorry no pic of traffic, just area.

Standing on Park bike path with road behind me, as I set Mavic on path to launch, a gentleman stops his car and says he wants to watch. As I launch, hover and select Tripod mode, he is asking me questions. While flying through tree lined creek area a car, motor home, and two more cars back up behind the first car and a horn begins honking.

So not everyone dislikes drones, some people dislike drone watchers!

You need to broaden your hobby a little bit. Maybe........buy a motorcycle, like this one. Really give your neighbor something to really complain about.

Funny you mention motorcycles. Been there done that with a 2300 cc Triumph Rocket Roadster. I've noticed between droners and bikers, like attitudes, site postings and adrenaline seeking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard