DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's true, it WILL happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrational beliefs and behavior seem to be the norm these days.
I'm suspect in my liberal neighborhood just because I'm conservative and fly the American flag.
I blame it on media. They've fostered a severe case of us-vs-them.

Irrational beliefs and behavior seem to be the norm these days.
I'm suspect in my liberal neighborhood just because I'm conservative and fly the American flag.
I blame it on media. They've fostered a severe case of us-vs-them.

I totally agree with you, even to the point of avoiding mainstream media. Nightly News is simply, every few seconds advertisement followed by what that particular station wants you to hear.

At least being conservative, "We know we are correct;).

It's good this site has balance...

Several years ago I read following one persons an explanation of us and them...

F. Scott Fitzgerald famously said that the "test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." Whether it's a question of intelligence, psychological maturity, or emotional capacity, there's little sign of such activity on the current political front. Instead, our parties encourage us to take refuge in one of those two opposing ideas and reject the other. Complex, ambiguous perspectives are shunned in favor of absolute, simplistic and immutable beliefs about right and wrong, good versus evil.

As the neurologist Robert Burton has noted , ambiguity or confusion is so difficult for many of us to bear that we instead retreat from it into a feeling of certainty, believing we know something without any doubts, even when we actually don't and often can't know. Those of us who have trouble with such discomfort often resort to black-and-white thinking instead. Rather than feeling uncertain or ambivalent, struggling with areas of gray, we reduce that complexity to either/or.

Black-and-white thinking reflects the psychological process known as splitting. When we feel unable to tolerate the tension aroused by complexity, we "resolve" that complexity by splitting it into two simplified and opposing parts, usually aligning ourselves with one of them and rejecting the other. As a result, we may feel a sort of comfort in believing we know something with absolute certainty; at the same time, we've over-simplified a complex issue.

In politics, to the extent our parties rely more on splitting and hatred than appeals to thought, they create a wartime atmosphere on the domestic front. We are good, the other side is bad, and we hate them. Preoccupied with vilifying the opposition, we're unable to perceive both sides of an issue and find a way to accommodate them both, albeit imperfectly. Pursuing total

Please lets not let this get Political folks .
Thanks

Please lets not let this get Political folks .
Thanks
Agreed - I wasn't making any political statements - I was merely pointing out that neighbors are becoming polarized these days on all sorts of topics and making rash assumptions about their neighbors based on their media intake - it seems drones have joined the ranks.

... but the general impression of the non-flying population is that these things have camera possibilities FAR beyond reality. The only way the Mavic can "spy" on anything is an an altitude that generates a sound like a swarm of mad hornets.
:cool:

Bingo - sort like the ridiculous things tv shows show "experts" doing with computers.
Like when they show security camera feed being cleaned up to show a license plate 100 yds away.
People just absorb that nonsense and it colors their reality.

Agreed - I wasn't making any political statements - I was merely pointing out that neighbors are becoming polarized these days on all sorts of topics and making rash assumptions about their neighbors based on their media intake - it seems drones have joined the ranks.
It's all good I just had to throw that out there :)

Reactions: Brojon
Reactions: Brojon
Lawyers are what's wrong with this country today!

firestars said:
I would never fly from my home, I'm far too courteous for that.
Amen to that.
Huh? Not quite sure how it's discourteous. Noise? Lawnmowers and weedeaters make more.
Can't think of any other rational reasons not to fly in your own yard - I do it all the time to practice manual flying.

I used to fly in the neighborhood. I would launch from my deck and fly between houses to the forest... those were the early days of my home builds. No one complained because the tech was so new. Now I'm a closet pilot. I have to find areas out of sight to launch and recover. Lol

Thanks for your empathy guys! Good to have this forum at hand. In the meantime, I have moved houses. New area, new neighbors and man am I itching to take a look at my surroundings from the sky! It would probably be fine just once but.. I better don't get into the habit.

I always found neighborly conflicts to be one of the most uncomfortable situation to be in. Nothing worth than sensing hostility around the place you live! Speaking of the primal urge for safety and peace! Therefore, I'll refrain from home droning. It's just not worth the stress.

A good point has been made a few times: Don't ever, EVER use the dreaded "D" word in front of uninformed people. It's an RC quad copter. Does it have a camera? Yeah, it does. It's a little (underpowered) navigation camera.

On a side note, can anybody tell me why I never see any other drones flying around? The online market is going crazy but even many retail shops are fully stocked. Best Buy for instance has an impressive, ever growing range of drone products on the shelf and global drone sales in general are apparently skyrocketing. But where the heck are all these drones? Wherever I am, I always feel I must be the only "pervert" on the planet. I'd actually welcome some drones flying around in the neighborhood!

I had my first nasty run in today.Flying at the beach, took off on 4th battery and I hear this guy say thats the guy over there.So this guy comes up and starts telling me he's uncomfortable with my flying and how dangerous it was.I was nice and tell him Im sorry to hear that now back up. Then he starts with you almost hit me.(He was 75-100' to the right on me There is nothing between me and the water, where I cruise to the water at 2-3mph)Now Im getting P/O and tell him to call someone ,call the cops for all I care just get away from me. And he goes on about how hes not getting the acknowledgement he wants(WHATEVER THAT IS??)from me.I told him "I heard what you said ,I just dont care.Go back to where you came from because now your PMO. Blahblahblah ,,,he left 10 minutes into my flight but he really irked me.that guy irked me,i mean he really irked me.

I had my first nasty run in today.Flying at the beach, took off on 4th battery and I hear this guy say thats the guy over there.So this guy comes up and starts telling me he's uncomfortable with my flying and how dangerous it was.I was nice and tell him Im sorry to hear that now back up. Then he starts with you almost hit me.(He was 75-100' to the right on me There is nothing between me and the water, where I cruise to the water at 2-3mph)Now Im getting P/O and tell him to call someone ,call the cops for all I care just get away from me. And he goes on about how hes not getting the acknowledgement he wants(WHATEVER THAT IS??)from me.I told him "I heard what you said ,I just dont care.Go back to where you came from because now your PMO. Blahblahblah ,,,he left 10 minutes into my flight but he really irked me.that guy irked me,i mean he really irked me.

Sorry to hear that. You just can't avoid these people. (Are they always guys?) I've recently had my first beach outing with the Mavic. I tried to find a spot with a bit of space round me and close to the water. I had to fly over one young couple, the dude appeared to be one of those protective gym boys constantly scanning the surroundings for anyone seemingly staring at his GF so I almost expected some kind of ear ache from him. I took off fast and got over the water as quickly as possible. He didn't say anything. In fact he seemed totally uninterested which I found also weird. Normally, a young guy will either be intrigued or aggressive. In hindsight I think I know why he wasn't bothered: I was there with my wife so we were kind of the neighboring couple meaning, I posed no danger to him or his girl. I'm pretty sure he would have expressed his displeasure had I been on my own.

Last edited:
Never really had a problem,even this guy wasent a problem,he annoyed me ,HE IRKED ME,,,,BAD .thinking I'm gonna bend at the knee for him. i'm not the one
Most people are intrigued,and some could care less,some might disapprove but as long as your not hovering over them or stalking them...??Another thing I do is tell them I probably have some good aerial pics do you want me to send them to ya? ask them to text ya an email addy and i'll send them pics.Thats a BIG hit.People love those water pics of their family that they cant get from standing on the beach.I sent sent out 25-30 pics to 2 different families and heres the response from today
Thanks so much...these are fantastic!
next on is,,,
my wife hates you because now I want one

Reactions: CoolBreeze
I know what you mean , minding your own business and they try to make it theirs, not had the face face yet but prefer to not make eye count tact or respond to comments any way, just be deaf to them - fly high and walk away . . .

:):):)
Never really had a problem,even this guy wasent a problem,he annoyed me ,HE IRKED ME,,,,BAD .thinking I'm gonna bend at the knee for him. i'm not the one
Most people are intrigued,and some could care less,some might disapprove but as long as your not hovering over them or stalking them...??Another thing I do is tell them I probably have some good aerial pics do you want me to send them to ya? ask them to text ya an email addy and i'll send them pics.Thats a BIG hit.People love those water pics of their family that they cant get from standing on the beach.I sent sent out 25-30 pics to 2 different families and heres the response from today
Thanks so much...these are fantastic!
next on is,,,
my wife hates you because now I want one
I understand the above members frustrations but often we get what we expect.

Like your response. Think it's better to control the testosterone and out wit the opposition. At the end of the day everyone wins and spreads better relations for drone sport. Like you, I show neighbors and anyone else what I'm filming. Worse case, ask for help and find an excuse to hand controler to aggervated observer. Who could not love fondling Mavic controls :).

Great job by LEO:) So for the sole reason of ,those are the type of people that will LIE to SUE YOU,or LIE TO HAVE YOU ARRESTED,,I would have let LEO have his way with them. Their sorry now that they got caught,but I'll be willing to bet,next tie they will be smarter about it

Many people have told me I was far too kind. If I had just moved in I could have been kicked out after being labeled a pervert, and they never considered that. But two 55 year, booked into the county jail, for being paranoia. Also I knew how wide the FOV is. For 30 seconds it was stationary outside their window, much closer than I would ever have gone, due to common courtesy. Later, when I realized the scene I had caused was caused because of my pitiful preflight -- props not even hand tight, boy. I felt like a real fool.

WOW! I hate to see drone owners having hard time dealing with crazy neighbors. This “my private property” and “privacy” ******** is a big let down... I lived in the states for 10 years and I visit the country every 6 months. Currently, I live in Turkey and do you know what? There is no such a thing like get off my property thing. There’s no concept of “stay away from my property or I will shoot”
Here is an example;
I know it’s not particularly good but the law has wholes in Turkey. A thief breaks in to your house and you wake up see him and shoot him. Unless he is in your bed room, if you kill or injure the thief, you are going to jail for attempted murder even if he is a thief. I know it’s stupid but this is how it works in this country. So you won’t see people in Turkey saying your drone is violating my privacy unless you hover in front of their face [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have been flying around everywhere city, suburbs, nature, woods, etc. Never had problems, even if I would do in the future there wouldn’t be a possibility of police involvement since they will NOT give flying ( mod removed ) about it.
I follow cars sometimes people around my property and they always wave at my drone.
One thing is forbidden here for sure, never fly over government buildings like police stations and military zones and do not violate the air traffic laws. If you fly over military zone here your drone is likely to get shot. But for casual flight, people won’t give you hard time.
Plus Turkey [emoji884] is a FCC country so the range is good for your drone.

If any of you guys plan to visit the very west part of Turkey. You can message me so we can fly together and I can help you out feeling more comfortable flying your drone in a foreign country.

Safe flight to all fellow drone pilots...

PS: to OP, I’m sorry to hear that you had to deal with such a moron. America gives wide range of rights to the people who doesn’t truly understand the true nature of the law. This happens because it’s a federal country and each state even counties have different policies. Turkey is a republic with centralized government so everything is governed from Ankara... again, I wish you safe flights and wish you much better encounters with people in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev