DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been asked to contact an FBI agent tomorrow since he has some questions regarding my drone flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bunch of hogwash! Stating that there is no such thing as a "hobbiest" drone flyer is just flat out untrue! The FAA clearly states this designation on lots of thier documentation. This is bullying!

A person or persons is flying a drone at night near cranes. Great! - Not your problem. Move on FBI Drone cop!

You were much more open than I would have been. I would have literally told him that I did not wish to spend the time with him while he tried to misinterpret my words and twist them around. Wanna see my drone. OK produce a search warrant. Then I would have told him if that does not sit well with him he could call my attorney if he wished to discuss any topics of concern. Then I would have rattled off the attorneys name and phone number. He is my girlfriends brother and would talk this guy into throwing a rope over the rafters at his home by the time he was done.

Yeah. THAT'S the way to handle it.

♂️

I am absolutely flummoxed that the FBI had two of its Special Agents assigned to checking out drone registration. All I can think is those agents must have really pissed off someone at the Hoover building in DC to het an assignment like that.

Not an expert but something does not sound right to me.

If you were flying due to concerns about illegal activity then that would seem more relevant to me.

If the crane operators were really concerned about flying at 3am then why don't they shoot down the drone (either literally or electronically). I am in the UK but cannot understand why FBI would be involved in drone registration unless there was more to it.

Reactions: jagraphics
Do you really believe you have any kind of privacy, each and everyone of us most likely have folders and video profiles of some sort on all of our " hobbies" and histories. Take a good look around at the cctv and cameras around.

I called the FBI this morning as requested. The agent wanted to come to my home in order to ask some questions & see my drone. I was hesitant after reading this board & reviewing the local drone laws but figured just listening to the agent wouldn't get me in any trouble.

#1. He had a print out of all the people in my area whose drone was registered with the FAA & my name was not on it. I provided a copy of my certificate & he stated the same thing happened with another individual he had interviewed the prior day.

#2. He basically told me that there really wasn't anyone who qualified as a hobbyist & everyone should be registered under part 107. He realized most individuals didn't interpret the law that way & stated the FAA will be evaluating the law in the future. He provided a guys name & number at the FAA if anyone wants to ask if they qualify as a hobbyist, You won't. (Mike Wilson 225-932-5987 or 225-932-5787)

#3. He provided me a handout - [FAA News Federal June/21/2016 Summary of Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule (Part 107)] in order to support his claim that I needed to be registered.

Most FBI agents are attorneys, though some are CPA's. Somehow these two missed the fact that the passage of the recent FAA Reauthorization Act in 2018 might superceed whatever the FAA was saying in 2016 - especially since the FAA news he passed out was specifically in reference to Part 107 which you are not.

I am absolutely flummoxed that the FBI had two of its Special Agents assigned to checking out drone registration. All I can think is those agents must have really pissed off someone at the Hoover building in DC to het an assignment like that.

They don’t.

DO NOT TALK TO THEM

Anything you say WILL be used against you, nothing you say will help you.

DO NOT CALL THEM

do not co-operate with them

if they come to visit you, tell them you choose not to answer questions without your attorney present

then SHUT UP and LAWYER UP.

if they push the issue, repeat that you respectfully decline to talk to them without your attorney present

Then ask them if you are free to go.

If you are NOT free to go, then you are being detained. SHUT UP and LAWYER UP.

If they say you are free to go,or don't say anything LEAVE.

They know once you ask that question, they have no choice but to cuff you or cut you loose.

oh one last thing SHUT UP AND LAWYER UP
Legal advice from a stranger on a public forum. What could be more assuring.

Long story short - I take pictures for someone who uses them in City Council meetings in their fight against a large company that conducts illegal operations. The FBI saw my pictures, questioned my neighbor how they were obtained & they were forced to rat me out. Ha HA.

I mainly take off from my residence & fly over the business after hours & on sundays when it doesn't endanger any employees or the business & I doubt they've ever spotted my drone while I was flying. It looks like the FBI is concerned about my flying since the business is located on the Mississippi River & drones have the potential for being used in terrorist attacks against ships.

I'm a hobbyist, my drone is registered, however I don't keep a copy of the registration on me when I fly nor could I locate mine if I was asked. I spent the $5 tonight & re-registered since I know I'll be talking to the FBI tomorrow.

The main point of my post is to advise others to register their drone if they haven't done so & keep a copy of the registration on you when you're flying. The FBI is apparently trying to contact anyone who flys a drone & make sure they are registered. The potential fines are huge including jail time so it makes sense to spend the $5.

I suggest you talk to an attorney first.

If they were FBI, why didn’t they just use their Aeroscope to find you?
Because Aeroscope isn't a magic box that tells the operator where everyone's drone is.
Aeroscope receives the radio communications between a DJI drone and its remote controller, and displays identification information including the drone's serial number, make and model, UAV position, speed, latitude and ground controller location.
The portable Aeroscope unit has a range of approx 4 km.
Aeroscope is only going to display information about a certain drone if the Aeroscape unit is operating close to and at the same time that drone happens to be flying.

I suggest you talk to an attorney first.

Too late. He’s locked into a story. At this point it’s damage control & hope it turns out for the best.

Last edited:
This board was a great help in deciding how to handle the interview. If I thought he was trying to get information on my activities then I would have shut the interview down. They didn't try to use scare tactics & were nice guys so I was willing to listen even if I didn't agree. They were doing basic police work & trying to find out names of other drone pilots in my area or seeing whether I would narc on someone.

Please say you did not let them into your house with out a search warrant.
ALL police including the fbi need a search warrant to”look” at your property.

This is why you should have hired lawyer

Reactions: jagraphics
I paid $59 2 months ago since purchasing my drone what the FAA, I'm still waiting on my stickers and identification. So I feel your pain the system sucks
You got ripped off by some bottom feeder site. An FAA registration for ALL of your recreation use drones costs $5 and lasts 3 years. Drones for commercial use is $5 per drone.
Here's the registration URL: FAADroneZone
Here's the FAA's URL for info on drones: Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Because Aeroscope isn't a magic box that tells the operator where everyone's drone is.
Aeroscope receives the radio communications between a DJI drone and its remote controller, and displays identification information including the drone's serial number, make and model, UAV position, speed, latitude and ground controller location.
The portable Aeroscope unit has a range of approx 4 km.
Aeroscope is only going to display information about a certain drone if the Aeroscape unit is operating close to and at the same time that drone happens to be flying.
How is the ground controller location determined? Does it also have a GPS receiver?

Interesting thread... I do think they were a bit bullyish though, stating there is no "hobbyist" rating for drone pilots. But that's really not an unusual move for a power play.

Attachments

• 22308547_10210165352679473_8974152842096627492_n.jpg
    22308547_10210165352679473_8974152842096627492_n.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: BD0G and james_mav
...Aeroscope receives the radio communications between a DJI drone and its remote controller, and displays identification information including the drone's serial number, make and model, UAV position, speed, latitude and ground controller location...

So, let us say that the FBI deployed aeroscopes and collected the serial numbers of DJI drones being flown in the area. How does the FBI use those serial # to get to the drone owner? Do they need DJI's help?

I'd contact Efrem Zimbalist Jr., he'd know what to do! Oh, wait. RIP.

If the fed's were really interested in the drone issue, they would have it in their custody already. More than likely, they may have been investigating the same facility you were and wanna know what you know. You know? Quite possibly, you very well may have interfered with a federal investigation, and now they wanna know why.

1. You have the right to remain silent.
  2. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
  3. You have the right to an attorney.
  4. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.
Good Luck on the interview . . .

I totally agree with that point.

Who do you think it getting that $150ea for your Part 107 test? It's not the FAA... it's going to the testing facility.

Maybe not EVERY town but they do have people out in the field that can be in any town in a short period of time. Ramp Checks can happen just about anywhere.

LOL! You do realize that Part 107 is for much more than just our Mavics, Phantoms, and Sparks right? There are some sUAS that operate in and around airports from runways etc and Part 107 has to encompass most possible scenarios for the aircraft in the class (under 55lbs, under 100mph etc etc). If you're operating near an airport and you're told "remain clear to left and do not cross over Runway 34L" if you don't know runway markings how are you going to carry out your operation and not create any type of danger in the NAS? Do you think it "might" be important to know the runway markings to be able to determine runway directions etc?

While every aspect of Part 107 might not apply to you right now, you can bet your bottom dollar there are others in the industry that those aspects do apply to.

Not ever sUAS is a MutiRotor and takes off from the palm of your hand. Sometimes you have to think outside of your own box in order to see the BIG picture of the world going on around you.
You mean like this???

Attachments

• Airport data sheet.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 38
It's going to be the aircraft home point, which is broadcast continuously in the telemetry.
Right, but that's typically only the takeoff point. Operator can move before or after takeoff if they were trying to avoid detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard