DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been asked to contact an FBI agent tomorrow since he has some questions regarding my drone flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but that's typically only the takeoff point. Operator can move before or after takeoff if they were trying to avoid detection.

It’s easy enough to follow the aircraft to landing and address the operator then. That’s how we train LE easy peezy!

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Of course. I was simply answering the question about the data, and what it represents.
Not to be argumentative, but that wasn't what i asked. I wanted to know how the operator's location was tracked. It sounds like it really can't, at least not through aeroscope. To do that, through aeroscope, the remote would have to transmit it's position which would only be possible if the device connected to it had its location services turned on, and the remote read and transmitted it. Or if the remote itself had a GPS receiver in it.
Outside of aeroscope I guess they could use triangulation.

Not to be argumentative, but that wasn't what i asked. I wanted to know how the operator's location was tracked. It sounds like it really can't, at least not through aeroscope. To do that, through aeroscope, the remote would have to transmit it's position which would only be possible if the device connected to it had its location services turned on, and the remote read and transmitted it. Or if the remote itself had a GPS receiver in it.
Outside of aeroscope I guess they could use triangulation.

Sorry - I thought it was clear from my reply that the answer to your question is that the operator cannot be tracked directly, other than by home point.

I would have registered it for you for only $50
-ACME Registrations

Psssh- too expensive!

YouRegisterDronesOnlineHere.com for $25. But wait until tomorrow, I have to set up the online storefront. The website is YouRDOH.Com

Reactions: gobama84
What a bunch of hogwash! Stating that there is no such thing as a "hobbiest" drone flyer is just flat out untrue! The FAA clearly states this designation on lots of thier documentation. This is bullying!

A person or persons is flying a drone at night near cranes. Great! - Not your problem. Move on FBI Drone cop!

You were much more open than I would have been. I would have literally told him that I did not wish to spend the time with him while he tried to misinterpret my words and twist them around. Wanna see my drone. OK produce a search warrant. Then I would have told him if that does not sit well with him he could call my attorney if he wished to discuss any topics of concern. Then I would have rattled off the attorneys name and phone number. He is my girlfriends brother and would talk this guy into throwing a rope over the rafters at his home by the time he was done.

Rule # 1 of Drone Club - There is no Drone Club

View attachment 55869

Bullying? Hahaha

Reactions: BigAl07
What happened to the OP? I hope he is still a free man.

They have him in a room pulling off his fingernails 1 by 1 till he talks .
jk, No I think he told us really all he can concerning his ordeal and to
be honest I wouldn't say anything more about it in a forum until he was
sure it was over .JMO ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I wouldn’t post here about it if I was OP. You guys, don’t you think the FBI and certain interested others automatically monitor this site’s, and others like it, discussions? Using keywords like “FBI” and “drone” together in the same post probably lights up at least a yellow light on some monitor someplace in a dark little office. Oops, just did it.

I wouldn’t post here about it if I was OP. You guys, don’t you think the FBI and certain interested others automatically monitor this site’s, and others like it, discussions? Using keywords like “FBI” and “drone” together in the same post probably lights up at least a yellow light on some monitor someplace in a dark little office. Oops, just did it.

^^^^^^ Bingo

It's been noted several times (at least on the Phantom Pilots forum) that "Alphabet" agencies do browse these forums. In fact a few members have been contacted for "education" and even shared the paperwork they received to verify the actions.

Reactions: dirkclod
It all sounds like a legitimate investigation of the complaints lodged by the people offloading along the river. They wanted to check his lights to match the lights in the footage they had. Maybe some of you watch too much TV?

I am sure the OP got some real advice by reading the replies and didn't let the guys in suits go farther in the conversation than he was comfortable with. If those guys are actually assigned to Drone Duty, the last thing you would probably want to do is get them excited by refusing any info - unless of course you are one of those who has their attorney on constant retainer and speed dial, which it sounds like some of you must...?

#2. He basically told me that there really wasn't anyone who qualified as a hobbyist & everyone should be registered under part 107. He realized most individuals didn't interpret the law that way & stated the FAA will be evaluating the law in the future. He provided a guys name & number at the FAA if anyone wants to ask if they qualify as a hobbyist, You won't. (Mike Wilson 225-932-5987 or 225-932-5787)

By any chance did the FBI boys start out with,
"Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help!"
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!
His interpretation!!!
Everyone should be registered under 107, yeah right! Another way of saying give more money to the government. If the FAA wanted everyone to register under 107, then why is there a choice? Why does the FAA talk about non-107 registration and flying rules?

Reactions: BD0G
His interpretation!!! Everyone should be registered under 107, yeah right! Another way of saying give more money to the government. If the FAA wanted everyone to register under 107, then why is there a choice? Why does the FAA talk about non-107 registration and flying rules?

That's an easy one.. the FAA didn't' want a Hodge Podge of rules and regulations but the
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 literally tied the FAA's hands on this matter until October or 2018. Congress (ok lobbyists) created a land mine of problems trying to protect hobbyists who were flying safely and securely at local flying fields across the nation. Unfortunately Congress was clueless about what they were doing and created a complete MESS that we (and the FAA) has had to deal with. Thank goodness POTUS repealed 336 in October.

It's really that simple and with any luck the whole "system" will become less confusing in due time... maybe!!

Maybe, just maybe the place you're taking pictures of Is doing some kind of work for the Gov't, ie; DOD, NASA,etc...just a thought...be safe, fly smart

I am absolutely flummoxed that the FBI had two of its Special Agents assigned to checking out drone registration. All I can think is those agents must have really pissed off someone at the Hoover building in DC to het an assignment like that.
Like the FBI dosent have anything better to do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN