DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been asked to contact an FBI agent tomorrow since he has some questions regarding my drone flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get so sick of this ****... So you think the FBI couldn’t find your registration let me tell you they know every thing about you before they called.
I totally agree with that point.

This 107 and all around is just a money grab for the government do you really think the FAA has people sitting in every little town watching.

Who do you think it getting that $150ea for your Part 107 test? It's not the FAA... it's going to the testing facility.

do you really think the FAA has people sitting in every little town watching.
Maybe not EVERY town but they do have people out in the field that can be in any town in a short period of time. Ramp Checks can happen just about anywhere.

Please tell me drone gods why I should have to know what the different signs mean on a runway.

LOL! You do realize that Part 107 is for much more than just our Mavics, Phantoms, and Sparks right? There are some sUAS that operate in and around airports from runways etc and Part 107 has to encompass most possible scenarios for the aircraft in the class (under 55lbs, under 100mph etc etc). If you're operating near an airport and you're told "remain clear to left and do not cross over Runway 34L" if you don't know runway markings how are you going to carry out your operation and not create any type of danger in the NAS? Do you think it "might" be important to know the runway markings to be able to determine runway directions etc?

While every aspect of Part 107 might not apply to you right now, you can bet your bottom dollar there are others in the industry that those aspects do apply to.

Not ever sUAS is a MutiRotor and takes off from the palm of your hand. Sometimes you have to think outside of your own box in order to see the BIG picture of the world going on around you.

While every aspect of Part 107 might not apply to you right now, you can bet your bottom dollar there are others in the industry that those aspects do apply to.

Not ever sUAS is a MutiRotor and takes off from the palm of your hand. Sometimes you have to think outside of your own box in order to see the BIG picture of the world going on around you.
How is that a justification in any way? It confirms that requiring 107 for a something that takes off from the palm of your hand makes no sense and there should be multiple categories.

Long story short - I take pictures for someone who uses them in City Council meetings in their fight against a large company that conducts illegal operations. The FBI saw my pictures, questioned my neighbor how they were obtained & they were forced to rat me out. Ha HA.

I mainly take off from my residence & fly over the business after hours & on sundays when it doesn't endanger any employees or the business & I doubt they've ever spotted my drone while I was flying. It looks like the FBI is concerned about my flying since the business is located on the Mississippi River & drones have the potential for being used in terrorist attacks against ships.

I'm a hobbyist, my drone is registered, however I don't keep a copy of the registration on me when I fly nor could I locate mine if I was asked. I spent the $5 tonight & re-registered since I know I'll be talking to the FBI tomorrow.

The main point of my post is to advise others to register their drone if they haven't done so & keep a copy of the registration on you when you're flying. The FBI is apparently trying to contact anyone who flys a drone & make sure they are registered. The potential fines are huge including jail time so it makes sense to spend the $5.

WHOA...sorry to hear that...i hope that they deal with you as you are...a hobbyist with no ax to grind...if you can,please point me towards REGISTERING my Mavic Pro...i was not aware of the potential of the drone that they are concerned with...Please let me know how to register...Thanks...Marty

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
How is that a justification in any way? It confirms that requiring 107 for a something that takes off from the palm of your hand makes no sense and there should be multiple categories.

No it does not. If it flies in the NAS the operator needs to have some degree of basic knowledge etc.

the time it took to get 107 as it is was too long and so many people were whining and saying they were losing $$ so we got a band aid instead of a finished product. A classification system for 107 should happen but it will take time.

Are you sure about that? What if you are in Idaho?

(a) Absent a warrant, and except for emergency response for safety, search and rescue or controlled substance investigations, no person, entity or state agency shall use an unmanned aircraft system to intentionally conduct surveillance of, gather evidence or collect information about, or photographically or electronically record specifically targeted persons or specifically targeted private property including, but not limited to:
(i) An individual or a dwelling owned by an individual and such dwelling’s curtilage, without such individual’s written consent;
(ii) A farm, dairy, ranch or other agricultural industry without the written consent of the owner of such farm, dairy, ranch or other agricultural industry.
(b) No person, entity or state agency shall use an unmanned aircraft system to photograph or otherwise record an individual, without such individual’s written consent, for the purpose of publishing or otherwise publicly disseminating such photograph or recording.
(3) Any person who is the subject of prohibited conduct under subsection (2) of this section shall:
(a) Have a civil cause of action against the person, entity or state agency for such prohibited conduct; and
(b) Be entitled to recover from any such person, entity or state agency damages in the amount of the greater of one thousand dollars ($1,000) or actual and general damages, plus reasonable attorney’s fees and other litigation costs reasonably incurred.
What if you are in Florida?

(3) PROHIBITED USE OF DRONES.—
(a) A law enforcement agency may not use a drone to gather evidence or other information.

(b) A person, a state agency, or a political subdivision as defined in s. 11.45 may not use a drone equipped with an imaging device to record an image of privately owned real property or of the owner, tenant, occupant, invitee, or licensee of such property with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image in violation of such person’s reasonable expectation of privacy without his or her written consent. For purposes of this section, a person is presumed to have a reasonable expectation of privacy on his or her privately owned real property if he or she is not observable by persons located at ground level in a place where they have a legal right to be, regardless of whether he or she is observable from the air with the use of a drone.

I was talking about constitutional protections against illegal searches and seizures not local laws regarding surveillance. However since those laws purport to regulate how the national airspace can be used I agree with the poster above that they would be invalidated if a federal action were brought.

Reactions: BigAl07
WHOA...sorry to hear that...i hope that they deal with you as you are...a hobbyist with no ax to grind...if you can,please point me towards REGISTERING my Mavic Pro...i was not aware of the potential of the drone that they are concerned with...Please let me know how to register...Thanks...Marty

faadronezone.faa.gov

Long story short - I take pictures for someone who uses them in City Council meetings in their fight against a large company that conducts illegal operations. The FBI saw my pictures, questioned my neighbor how they were obtained & they were forced to rat me out. Ha HA.

I mainly take off from my residence & fly over the business after hours & on sundays when it doesn't endanger any employees or the business & I doubt they've ever spotted my drone while I was flying. It looks like the FBI is concerned about my flying since the business is located on the Mississippi River & drones have the potential for being used in terrorist attacks against ships.

I'm a hobbyist, my drone is registered, however I don't keep a copy of the registration on me when I fly nor could I locate mine if I was asked. I spent the $5 tonight & re-registered since I know I'll be talking to the FBI tomorrow.

The main point of my post is to advise others to register their drone if they haven't done so & keep a copy of the registration on you when you're flying. The FBI is apparently trying to contact anyone who flys a drone & make sure they are registered. The potential fines are huge including jail time so it makes sense to spend the $5.

from the song by the Cruel Sea
"Better get a lawyer, son
You better get a real good one " :)

Reactions: mano

—————

Can I have your permission to repost this on the Mavic Facebook group page, or would you?

There’s been a lot of debate lately about why pilots should register.

Thanks in advance.

There’s been a lot of debate lately about why pilots should register
What is there to debate? It's a US law. Tell your Facebook group to read Section 1092 (d) here.

I don't know that it will matter to the FBI (they have bigger fish to fry) but... you admitted you were taking picture for "City Council Meetings".... that's very much well outside of Hobby/Recreational operations. You can't HOBBY for someone else and you sure aren't a hobbyist when obtaining images for a 3rd party in their plight against a local company. Even if no money changed hands you're operating well outside of Part 101/336 and by that you're in violation of Part 107 rules.

I think worst case is this will get turned over the the FAA an DOJ for investigation and potentially some "educational moments" going forward.

Good luck and keep us posted. Who knows, you might get lucky and the FBI won't even know the difference between Hobby/Commercial ops and you'll be good to go.
I would also add that conducting surveillance with a drone is illegal in some states.

Last edited:
Reactions: Classic flyer
I was talking about constitutional protections against illegal searches and seizures not local laws regarding surveillance. However since those laws purport to regulate how the national airspace can be used I agree with the poster above that they would be invalidated if a federal action were brought.

I cannot imagine the FAA successfully arguing that it has the power to regulate what aerial images may be captured by drone cameras in every state throughout the country.

I called the FBI this morning as requested. The agent wanted to come to my home in order to ask some questions & see my drone. I was hesitant after reading this board & reviewing the local drone laws but figured just listening to the agent wouldn't get me in any trouble.

#1. He had a print out of all the people in my area whose drone was registered with the FAA & my name was not on it. I provided a copy of my certificate & he stated the same thing happened with another individual he had interviewed the prior day.

#2. He basically told me that there really wasn't anyone who qualified as a hobbyist & everyone should be registered under part 107. He realized most individuals didn't interpret the law that way & stated the FAA will be evaluating the law in the future. He provided a guys name & number at the FAA if anyone wants to ask if they qualify as a hobbyist, You won't. (Mike Wilson 225-932-5987 or 225-932-5787)

#3. He provided me a handout - [FAA News Federal June/21/2016 Summary of Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule (Part 107)] in order to support his claim that I needed to be registered.

#4. He made it sound like the government will be increasing the number & size of areas within Geo-Fencing in order to safeguard against terrorist activities.

#5. The real purpose of the interview was to find out if I or anyone I knew was flying a drone at night along the river. He wanted to see if my drone had lights. The agent said there are drones flying at 3 a.m. on a regular basis & harassing crane operators who are unloading barges along the river. I've heard they're unloading the barges at night since it creates dust & community activists are trying to stop this unloading. I don't believe the drone operators are harassing the crane operators but the agent claimed there was video evidence.

#6. The agent had a partner & it sounded like they work full time investigating drones. He had a binder full of investigations & stated he gets calls every night about drones operating in prohibited areas.

He admitted the drone laws were not well thought out but he was assigned to try & enforce them.

I cannot imagine the FAA successfully arguing that it has the power to regulate what aerial images may be captured by drone cameras in every state throughout the country.

They wouldn’t be arguing that. They would be arguing that Congress intended to make federal law supreme in the regulation of air traffic in the national air space. Which they have and which courts have used to strike down local laws purporting to control use of that airspace. Don’t refute what I say by changing it to something else and refuting that.
I called the FBI this morning as requested. The agent wanted to come to my home in order to ask some questions & see my drone. I was hesitant after reading this board & reviewing the local drone laws but figured just listening to the agent wouldn't get me in any trouble.

#1. He had a print out of all the people in my area whose drone was registered with the FAA & my name was not on it. I provided a copy of my certificate & he stated the same thing happened with another individual he had interviewed the prior day.

#2. He basically told me that there really wasn't anyone who qualified as a hobbyist & everyone should be registered under part 107. He realized most individuals didn't interpret the law that way & stated the FAA will be evaluating the law in the future. He provided a guys name & number at the FAA if anyone wants to ask if they qualify as a hobbyist, You won't. (Mike Wilson 225-932-5987 or 225-932-5787)

#3. He provided me a handout - [FAA News Federal June/21/2016 Summary of Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule (Part 107)] in order to support his claim that I needed to be registered.

#4. He made it sound like the government will be increasing the number & size of areas within Geo-Fencing in order to safeguard against terrorist activities.

#5. The real purpose of the interview was to find out if I or anyone I knew was flying a drone at night along the river. He wanted to see if my drone had lights. The agent said there are drones flying at 3 a.m. on a regular basis & harassing crane operators who are unloading barges along the river. I've heard they're unloading the barges at night since it creates dust & community activists are trying to stop this unloading. I don't believe the drone operators are harassing the crane operators but the agent claimed there was video evidence.

#6. The agent had a partner & it sounded like they work full time investigating drones. He had a binder full of investigations & stated he gets calls every night about drones operating in prohibited areas.

He admitted the drone laws were not well thought out but he was assigned to try & enforce them.

Surprises the crap out of me.

—————

Can I have your permission to repost this on the Mavic Facebook group page, or would you?

There’s been a lot of debate lately about why pilots should register.

Thanks in advance.

You can repost this thread. I gave a quick summary of the interview above. Your group really won't like the idea that everyone should get 107 certification.

I do find it strange the system didn’t pick up you were already registered. Are your FA #’s the same.
I am just curios why I am asking.

My drone registration #'s are not the same. I agree the system should recognize that you've previously registered.

Reactions: dirkclod
What a bunch of hogwash! Stating that there is no such thing as a "hobbiest" drone flyer is just flat out untrue! The FAA clearly states this designation on lots of thier documentation. This is bullying!

A person or persons is flying a drone at night near cranes. Great! - Not your problem. Move on FBI Drone cop!

You were much more open than I would have been. I would have literally told him that I did not wish to spend the time with him while he tried to misinterpret my words and twist them around. Wanna see my drone. OK produce a search warrant. Then I would have told him if that does not sit well with him he could call my attorney if he wished to discuss any topics of concern. Then I would have rattled off the attorneys name and phone number. He is my girlfriends brother and would talk this guy into throwing a rope over the rafters at his home by the time he was done.

Rule # 1 of Drone Club - There is no Drone Club

1544741323091.png

Last edited:
This board was a great help in deciding how to handle the interview. If I thought he was trying to get information on my activities then I would have shut the interview down. They didn't try to use scare tactics & were nice guys so I was willing to listen even if I didn't agree. They were doing basic police work & trying to find out names of other drone pilots in my area or seeing whether I would narc on someone.

You should have been able to print a replacement out. That's what I did. I keep a couple copies. One in my car. One in my bag.

I haven't seen this posted yet, just a reminder that you're required to have your registration on you while flying.

I keep a copy of mine in each of my drone bags/cases and printed applicable state laws on the back... just in case. Screenshot_20181213-173605_Chrome.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead