DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jan 6 rioters had a drone that wouldn't take off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to really see the relevance of a drone with a 720p camera to national defense. "... for reconnaissance use...". A drone with a 720p camera must be of the lowest quality possible. How they could consider that a "security issue" I fail to see. It's essentially a toy at the point! I bet anyone could get better photos from Google Maps satellite view (not really but you get the point)! Military satellites could do a much better job, why utilize a drone with a trashy camera? And as far as I know, DJI doesn't have any drones with a 720p camera other than maybe the Spark and the Tello (not 100% sure though) so DJI's geofencing wouldn't be applicable. Most likely, it was a toy drone like a Parrot Mambo or something.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I fail to really see the relevance of a drone with a 720p camera to national defense. "... for reconnaissance use...". A drone with a 720p camera must be of the lowest quality possible. How they could consider that a "security issue" I fail to see. It's essentially a toy at the point! I bet anyone could get better photos from Google Maps satellite view (not really but you get the point)!
Google Maps does not stream a live view a drone with a video camera can. It was most likely an FPV type camera that sends a raster video signal not WiFi. If you look at the security TFR in place over the nation’s capitol you would realize that drone flights of any type are forbidden.

I guess I don’t understand what you don’t understand.

Recon of this nature might only be to see where authority is located, massing etc, not much needed there.
Even if only a PR stunt (fly it straight at a govco building, police, crash it to cause some mayhem etc) that would be enough to pose a risk of showing security weaknesses in such situations.

Sounds like a cheap copy cat type drone, and they don't have geo fencing.
Maybe there was some sort of drone defense system to disrupt signals in the area.
Or maybe the operators were totally inept.

Google Maps does not stream a live view a drone with a video camera can. It was most likely an FPV type camera that sends a raster video signal not WiFi. If you look at the security TFR in place over the nation’s capitol you would realize that drone flights of any type are forbidden.

I guess I don’t understand what you don’t understand.
I understand that but as far as I can tell, the drone wasn't flown. Therefore, it has about as much value as does a cellphone. Also, let's say it did takeoff. It was likely a toy drone and if a child had had it, I doubt any fuss would have been raised. But still, as you said, any drone flights are prohibited, but again, nothing was said that the drone was flown. Therefore, no law was broken that I know of. Why the fuss? As I stated above, the drone would have been as much of a threat as a cellphone camera if not much much more conspicuous.

I understand that but as far as I can tell, the drone wasn't flown. Therefore, it has about as much value as does a cellphone. Also, let's say it did takeoff. It was likely a toy drone and if a child had had it, I doubt any fuss would have been raised. But still, as you said, any drone flights are prohibited, but again, nothing was said that the drone was flown. Therefore, no law was broken that I know of. Why the fuss? As I stated above, the drone would have been as much of a threat as a cellphone camera if not much much more conspicuous.
They tried to use it to look where they couldn't from the ground.Sounds like they weren't smart enough to pick something without geofencing.Might have provided some info for the insurrectionists.Most criminals aren't very smart.

Nothing like a drone to look on rooftops for obstacles. 720 is plenty of resolution for that. After all, would it matter if the obstacle has a 223 or an 06?

ps: this entire Jan 06 fiasco is just more evidence too many stupid people are having kids.

Aerial reconnaissance in 'armed conflict' goes back to the 18th century (via hot air balloons).

Ask Robert E. Lee how important reconnaissance was, after he (lightly) dressed down J.E.B. Stuart, his Cavalry chief who showed up late to the party at Gettysburg, denying Lee the critical intelligence he needed regarding what he was facing and where, so he could set his lines and plan his strategy.

I think the point of this article is it shows the amount of planning that went into what went on... they had planned things to the point where they expected (a need) to use aerial surveillance.

This is not about whether or not any drone law was broken; this is proof (of sorts) of a conspiracy.
The law to be broken was not flying a drone... that was just an enabler to the main event.

EDIT: looks like maybe the Union Army was using hydrogen balloons during the Civil War, not hot air (which the French used during the days of the revolution).

I'm a little suprised that there were no drone enthusiests with a drone dji, or no dji with or without geo fencing, in the trunks of there cars. Yes, I know it would be extremely illegal, but the footage would have been worth a significant amount of money to any news worthy television company. The FBI would have also deemed it to be extremely important to identify and arrest those citizens performing illegal acts. I suggest the news media would have paid an individual who had a copy of the footage, a significant amount of money, under the table. Certainly, if i were the pilot, i wouldn't want to have anything to do with the footage. I would pawn it off to any passerby and let them take the flack for it.

OMG, he had a toy drone!!! That changes everything. Good lord, talk about overreaction.

I fail to really see the relevance of a drone with a 720p camera to national defense. "... for reconnaissance use...". A drone with a 720p camera must be of the lowest quality possible. How they could consider that a "security issue" I fail to see. It's essentially a toy at the point! I bet anyone could get better photos from Google Maps satellite view (not really but you get the point)! Military satellites could do a much better job, why utilize a drone with a trashy camera? And as far as I know, DJI doesn't have any drones with a 720p camera other than maybe the Spark and the Tello (not 100% sure though) so DJI's geofencing wouldn't be applicable. Most likely, it was a toy drone like a Parrot Mambo or something.
It would be easy to fly any drone over a power distribution centre and crash a length of steel cable over the wires and trip the overlaod protection. This would only cause a short term blackout but it would be very inconvenient

Reactions: Christianpeso
This thread I just saw is political and we don’t do that here 🤨

Closed.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members