DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky hesitant videos

zorr0

Reactions
I started with drones a while back. Had two cheapies fly way and spent some money got a bebop2. After a month got the Mavic Pro. Never looked back. I know about shutter speeds etc. I am comfortable with slr. But I have noticed that my videos seem to start and stop. It’s like I’m watching 100 short mp4s pasted together. It will go nice for 20 or 30 ft, stop, pick up a few ft down the way. I may exaggerate, but it just doesn’t look like a video on my camera or even my iPhone. I really haven’t juked with the settings. The other day I had the gimbal clamp on, and I started Mavic. But it lasted only a second. I have heard people say that they have left it on for several minutes and it caused no harm like I say I’m grasping here. I caught this right away and all the movements seem to be ok. When I rotate down or up the gimbal reacts. It just seems hesitant. I watched a vid about main Ctr settings, the three boxes? .25, .20 .20 was what he recommended. Then he messed with attitude, brake yaw. I dunno. I just can’t imagine it’s causing all this. Is there a way to return to factory settings? I’m sure there is. Anyway I’m sure you’ve got the idea and I apologize to the old timers if this has been covered till “hell won’t have it” thanks

Are the video's choppy when viewed directly from the SD card? When viewed live it can get choppy due to weak signal, latency, or overtaxed processor.

You mentioned leaving the gimbal clamp on; don't do that. It will lead to a gimbal overload error, possibly damage the gimbal motors, and not allow smooth camera positioning. I taped red streamers to mine so I won't forget to remove it. If you meant the clear camera protector, you can leave it on but you will get reduced picture quality.

Here's what you need to try ~ take the microSD card out of the Mavic, COPY the files to your computer (don't play them from the sd card), then see how they look on your computer. If they're still choppy, try playing them on a better computer. 4K requires a good processor and a good video card.

Reactions: copterbob
Are the video's choppy when viewed directly from the SD card? When viewed live it can get choppy due to weak signal, latency, or overtaxed processor.

You mentioned leaving the gimbal clamp on; don't do that. It will lead to a gimbal overload error, possibly damage the gimbal motors, and not allow smooth camera positioning. I taped red streamers to mine so I won't forget to remove it. If you meant the clear camera protector, you can leave it on but you will get reduced picture quality.

It was just that one time and I snatched it off before it finished the startup sequence. I don’t have any problem remembering now. NOW.ha.
On the choppiness it is on the downloaded finished file on my computer. I download direct to computer. Delete files from chip. Put chip back in drone. No it’s not processing power or anything like that. In fact I have tried going to mp4 instead of mov. No it just doesn’t look that great, in fact my bebop actually makes a smoother video. I feel like I have something set wrong. The Mavic is miles away from the bebop2 in versatility etc. it just seems like it runs for 3 secs and blinks. Like if u were walking down the street and you shut your eyes and kept walking and opened again in 2 secs. And you had moved from w here you were..maybe I’m expecting too much but I am a Mavic starter. Bought in aug.of course I never miss a day.NEVER.

Here's what you need to try ~ take the microSD card out of the Mavic, COPY the files to your computer (don't play them from the sd card), then see how they look on your computer. If they're still choppy, try playing them on a better computer. 4K requires a good processor and a good video card.

That’s what I always do. It doesn’t seem to matter which computer I use. I download to my Linux normally. But I have the files on my MacBook and my Mac mini. I have never played from the sd. I remove the chip from the drone, copy to the Linux, and then and only then do I view them. I edit on the MacBook. I wish it were that simple. I am new to drones, but not computers. I was hoping that the snafu was in my settings. My gimbal settings.

If you are shooting at 30fps, you want video shutter speed at 1/60 or 1/90 or any multiple of 30. You will need nd filters to get this without overexposure.

This is absolutely required if your footage will have any yawing, and if you want it to not flicker like its skipping frames.

Reactions: copterbob
Those are pretty low specs for 4K video. Are you shooting in 4K? If so, try shooting some 1080p footage and see how it plays on your computer.

Not shooting 4K but I will keep that in mind. It’s just that I have shot in 4K with my video cam, etc and no jerks. I have to believe it’s gimbal related and my ignorance of settings. Live and learn. Thanx to all for pointers.

Those reported specs are very low for 4k video play back and I wouldn't even think about trying to edit. Do as suggested above and shoot at lower res. Test and report back.

If you are shooting at 30fps, you want video shutter speed at 1/60 or 1/90 or any multiple of 30. You will need nd filters to get this without overexposure.

This is absolutely required if your footage will have any yawing, and if you want it to not flicker like its skipping frames.

Thanks Ebon.. I will take your advice on the shutter speeds. I had been using the auto settings.

To ANY of the good people who have been commenting on my Jerky video malady,please look at this video I uploaded to youtube
IF IT IS horrible, let me know. If its bearable then maybe Ican be corrected by experience and wiser settings. I have 3 days left on my 30 days at Amazon. Hmmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa