DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jittery footage

Paul hat

Reactions
I'm new with the mavic,I have flown rc planes for decades so flying this great drone came naturally. It basically flies itself if setup correctly.Beautiful machine! My problem is with the camera.When flying straight even at high speeds or going up or down the footage is silk smooth however, when in yaw left or right or turning the drone the footage is annoyingly jittery.Might the yellow tape on the camera have something to do with it,aerodynamics and all? Any advise is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Are you using a ND filter to slow down the shutter rate?

So ,, i had the same issue .
Try to play your video in 4k tv and you will see the difference . ;)

I play the videos on 4k tv and there is no difference at all. Like I said I'm not using any filters just yet so my shutter speed is about 20 times the iso on a sunny day. Do you think that using a filter to get double shutter speed in comparison to iso will solve the problem?

...Like I said I'm not using any filters just yet so my shutter speed is about 20 times the iso on a sunny day. Do you think that using a filter to get double shutter speed in comparison to iso will solve the problem?
Slowing down the shutter speed will definitely reduce video jitter.

Thank you! So the next step is definitely ND filters.I thought that there might be some sort of mechanical problem.
Still can't figure out why this happens ONLY when panning or turning.Going up,down,forward or backward at any speed the footage is smooth.

Some advice on camera settings can be found here. Basically, it states; "The Shutter settings are usually done through thumb rule in which the shutter is the inverse double of your frame rate. For example, if you are having a frame rate of 30fps then shutter should be of 1/60s. For more less and light exposure, it’s better to keep it much closer with 2x and moving within the range of 1/60s to 1/50s is preferable. Make sure that you remember that shutter speed is the amount of motion blur introduced to each and every individual frame.At the most light conditions the image will be overexposed at this settings thats why you need to use ND filters regularly".

You can achieve the right ratio without filters by shooting in low light (cloudy day, sunset, etc.). I have also read that a frame rate of 24fps will get a better result as long as you weren't going for slow motion.

Reactions: Paul hat

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini