DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Job price for friend of friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bk0000

Reactions
I have a mavic air and also a part 107. My friends friend has a farm and would like me to do some aerial videos of the machinery in fields etc. and would like me to do it. This is my first time doing a paid job for someone and I was wondering how much I would charge. He would like me to take videos and also do a basic edit(nothing special). I have only one battery atm so would have to go over maybe for two days. Does anyone have any advice on how much I should charge?
Thanks in advance

As with anything else, a service is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
The difficulty arises when you dont know what that figure is.

What I would do in your situation is ask the farmer what his budget is for the aerial photography work so you can schedule the time to get it done and determine how much work you need to do.
After you do this with several clients, you should get a basic idea what the market in your area will bear.
Good luck!

As with anything else, a service is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
The difficulty arises when you dont know what that figure is.

What I would do in your situation is ask the farmer what his budget is for the aerial photography work so you can schedule the time to get it done and determine how much work you need to do.
After you do this with several clients, you should get a basic idea what the market in your area will bear.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. For an hours work would 75€ be fair and an edited video?

Thanks for the advice. For an hours work would 75€ be fair and an edited video?
Thats is what being your own boss is all about, but why quote that if he might offer double that?
Bottom line, if that is what you feel your time is worth, it is completely up to you.

Sounds reasonable. Start at $85.00 an hour and tell him your negotiable. People like to haggle for a perceived "good deal". Tell him how many hours it would require and if you are feeling generous add that you will throw in simple edits for an additional cost. Shoot if you upload it I will even edit it for you. :)

Sounds reasonable. Start at $85.00 an hour and tell him your negotiable. People like to haggle for a perceived "good deal". Tell him how many hours it would require and if you are feeling generous add that you will throw in simple edits for an additional cost. Shoot if you upload it I will even edit it for you. :)
Thanks man but the thing is I only have one battery....

get enough money to cover your time.... and buy you 2 batteries!

Reactions: Wakamula
If it's for a friend and you have no prior experience doing paid work like this, I would do it for free or a case of beer (or a low fee) and consider it good experience.

I would suggest not charging by the hour unless you are highly experienced. Charging for editing/flying time is tricky because if you are still learning and are not a professional, what might take one person an hour might take another person 10 minutes, and therefore it would not be fair to charge the customer for that hour, for example, if your experience and/or equipment is what is preventing the job from being completed faster. I don't know your exact situation obviously, that is generally speaking. To put it another way, if I can mow a lawn in 20 minutes because I'm either more experienced or have better equipment and the next guy needs an hour to do the same job, paying by the hour does not really make sense.

I am a professional photographer and run into this sort of thing from time to time. I personally am uncomfortable charging a friend/coworker for anything that I am not 100% confident that I can deliver a perfect result with a quick turnaround, because that is what the competition is also offering, and they're doing me a favor by asking me. If they want me to do something I am not as comfortable with, if I agree to do it at all, my rate would be proportionately cheaper due to the lower expectations. At the end of the day you need to find a price you both are comfortable with that reflects your abilities, turnaround time, the end result, and what it would cost him to get this done elsewhere. Also consider his intended usage when delivering the footage to him - does he want 4K, high bitrate, etc.

Sorry to jump in but is this not you saying you have a Standard in PhantomPilots Bk ?
Price for a job for friend
Just curious .

• What @CanadaDrone said, sounds like good advice, or
  • Charge enough to be reimbursed for two more batteries and get them before you shoot. You don't want to make an extra trip due to lack of batteries and recording in one trip will help to maintain consistent lighting conditions. You will appreciate this in editing. or
  • See what the going rate is in your area. If you feel you can deliver professional results then you should be paid for your efforts, minus whatever discount you want to offer to your friend.
Whatever you decide, get extra batteries before the shoot. Doing it in one day will eat less time, give more consistent lighting, and make you look more professional.

Reactions: NAVMAV
If it's for a friend and you have no prior experience doing paid work like this, I would do it for free or a case of beer (or a low fee) and consider it good experience.

I would suggest not charging by the hour unless you are highly experienced. Charging for editing/flying time is tricky because if you are still learning and are not a professional, what might take one person an hour might take another person 10 minutes, and therefore it would not be fair to charge the customer for that hour, for example, if your experience and/or equipment is what is preventing the job from being completed faster. I don't know your exact situation obviously, that is generally speaking. To put it another way, if I can mow a lawn in 20 minutes because I'm either more experienced or have better equipment and the next guy needs an hour to do the same job, paying by the hour does not really make sense.

I am a professional photographer and run into this sort of thing from time to time. I personally am uncomfortable charging a friend/coworker for anything that I am not 100% confident that I can deliver a perfect result with a quick turnaround, because that is what the competition is also offering, and they're doing me a favor by asking me. If they want me to do something I am not as comfortable with, if I agree to do it at all, my rate would be proportionately cheaper due to the lower expectations. At the end of the day you need to find a price you both are comfortable with that reflects your abilities, turnaround time, the end result, and what it would cost him to get this done elsewhere. Also consider his intended usage when delivering the footage to him - does he want 4K, high bitrate, etc.

These would be my thoughts exactly. Personally, I'd do this for free, but that's me, not the OP. $85/hr to fly a drone around and take some pictures? Humm?

Reactions: CanadaDrone
These would be my thoughts exactly. Personally, I'd do this for free, but that's me, not the OP. $85/hr to fly a drone around and take some pictures? Humm?
There is nothing wrong with charging for your time and work, plus there is the cost of the drone you are using, the time to do the editing, the cost of the computer and the cost of the editing programme used to edit. All these cost have to be taken into account, because all these things the OP had to lay out money, to get. He is not borrowing someone's drone, computer and editing software for free.

However, what to charge is always the most difficult thing to work out in an area where there is little competition to gain an idea of what a going rate is. If you have that, then there is also the known fact that this would be an inexperienced business operator, doing a new thing (You), compared to an experienced company doing drone filming, so you can't just use their prices as an example.

As has been said, you should probably state that you are early on in your drone business and even though you are a competent pilot, sinc ethis is a new venture, you will allow a significant discount to the person, because you would like to use his recommendation for future paying work. Therefore you will look at your very discounted price as a form of paid advertising on your behalf. That way if the person wants to hire you in the future, they will not expect you to be just as low priced.

The ongoing problem that arises from a new operator charging a low price or doing it for free, is that the customer will not only expect that the next time, but may well tell friends that this guy does it for free or super cheap, and then you get a name in the market as the free or cheap guy, which is difficult to get away from.

As has been suggested, ask what the farmer has as a budget, then tell him your price is normally more, but that you understand farmers are having a tough time under the current economical climate (be it true or not) ad that you are prepared to offer him a one time super deal to help him out, in the hopes that he sees what you can offer in drone filming, and hopes that should he have any future needs for drone filming, that he considers you to do that work.

Or you can give a set price you are comfortable with and state that this is just the job creation fee, and that you will offer the editing and final product at no charge, to help him out. That way if you get future work from the person, you can justify a higher price for a job, because you then will be including in that price, the cost of your time for editing and finishing the product. Then you can always add on more for creative titles etc. as a way to increase your income for future work from him or others who have heard about you as a result of the work you did for him.

Of course doing things for friends or those you feel have special needs, for free, is a different matter all together, and I am always up for helping others out when I can, at no charge, if you fell the need is there for such an offer, just don't make free, a habit.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with charging for your time and work, plus there is the cost of the drone you are using, the time to do the editing, the cost of the computer and the cost of the editing programme used to edit. All these cost have to be taken into account, because all these things the OP had to lay out money, to get. He is not borrowing someone's drone, computer and editing software for free
No offense intended. I stated my position and completely respect the OP's. More power to him!

Reactions: Cymruflyer
And all this going back to post #12 which you guys should read in that link as what he says there is not the same as he says here. Not sure he even has a 107 or whatever he needs where he is to charge so giving advice is not such a great idea .Guys when I throw you a bone it's for you to take it and check it out .

Right BDOG

And all this going back to post #12 which you guys should read in that link as what he says there is not the same as he says here. Not sure he even has a 107 or whatever he needs where he is to charge so giving advice is not such a great idea .Guys when I throw you a bone it's for you to take it and check it out .

Right BDOG

I guess I didnt read down the thread at phantom far enough the first time.
BUT does that have any thing to do with the answers to his question of how much to charge? He didnt ask if it was legal or not.

We have a moral responsibility to give good, solid, and to the best of our knowledge ETHICAL advice. Why would you not care if the guy is asking about doing something that's not legal??? Blows my mind . . .

If in the US (and many other countries as well) it's a matter of legality and morality to be charging and not being credentialed. It's funny people who don't have the credentials have no problems with others doing this "as a friend" but if it affected YOUR livelihood or hobby you'd be all over the person.

It's like telling someone how to hack into a bank computer or how to steal from the local store.... why support such behavior and risk leading someone further down the rabbit hole. Why not stand up and call the SPADE and SPADE and be done with it?

Integrity is officially a thing of the past these days . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr