DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

John's review of DJI Goggles with Mavic

One reason for this to happen is if you're not using matching firmware versions.

You got me, still can't make it work. I updated the software on the Mavic today (although I didn't go to the one that says I will be limited to 30m and 50m without logging in.), and the Goggles says they have the latest version, but the head tracking does not raise or lower the Mavic.

5. Navigation "follow head motion" mode. This is an interesting and fun mode. During flight, you basically give the craft a forward flight command with the right stick and let your head movement do the navigation. Look right to turn right, and look left to turn left, look down to descend, look up to ascend. You can also ascend with the left stick since it's the master. The craft will yaw left and right fairly good, and smooth, with practice, however the up and down movement of the gimbal is rough, much rougher than doing this with the gimbal wheel in normal mode. It seems like the sensor technology in the headband doesn't have adequate resolution to move the gimbal with fine precision, like the gimbal wheel can. Hence, this mode is useless when capturing video, it looks terrible with the "notchy" gimbal pitch movements.

Am I confused or doing something wrong? I tried this mode last night, and it does MOST of what you say, but does not ascend or descend with head movements. I can spin the craft, and yaw but if you look up or down the camera moves, but the craft stays the exact same elevation?
I'll try this again. I'm pretty sure my craft went down with head movement, and up when looking up during head nav mode. I remember thinking that it's a hassle to ascend because you have to look up so high, but I may be wrong. I'll let you know after this weekend.

I'll try this again. I'm pretty sure my craft went down with head movement, and up when looking up during head nav mode. I remember thinking that it's a hassle to ascend because you have to look up so high, but I may be wrong. I'll let you know after this weekend.

I would love to know if it does, I just spent 2 days screwing with mine and CAN NOT make it ascend or descend by looking up or down. Made sure all the pieces were on the current software, and nothing like that for me. It just moves the camera, same as the Gimbal Tracking mode. I've looked up as high as I possibly can, and same with down and it don't work for me. Beginning to wonder if you were just thinking it went up or down?:)

5. Navigation "follow head motion" mode. This is an interesting and fun mode. During flight, you basically give the craft a forward flight command with the right stick and let your head movement do the navigation. Look right to turn right, and look left to turn left, look down to descend, look up to ascend. You can also ascend with the left stick since it's the master. The craft will yaw left and right fairly good, and smooth, with practice, however the up and down movement of the gimbal is rough, much rougher than doing this with the gimbal wheel in normal mode. It seems like the sensor technology in the headband doesn't have adequate resolution to move the gimbal with fine precision, like the gimbal wheel can. Hence, this mode is useless when capturing video, it looks terrible with the "notchy" gimbal pitch movements.

Am I confused or doing something wrong? I tried this mode last night, and it does MOST of what you say, but does not ascend or descend with head movements. I can spin the craft, and yaw but if you look up or down the camera moves, but the craft stays the exact same elevation?
I must have been wrong about this. I could not duplicate the ascend and descend with head movement that I previously reported, it would only go left and right. However my DJI goggle didn't seem to be working right with my Mavic 100%, so I have more testing to do. The GIMBAL follow HEAD MOVEMENT mode wouldn't work at all yesterday. I rebooted the goggle and it still wouldn't work. I flew a second battery in the Mavic and it still wouldn't work. All other modes seemed to work fine, but not GIMBAL follow HEAD MOVEMENT. As reported, that mode isn't that useful anyway IMO because of the lack of fine gimbal movement. Video just wouldn't look very good because of the notchy movement caused by the goggle sensor. So I probably would never use it anyway.

I think the way you ascend/descend is to fly in Fixed Wing mode... I've done this on the goggles and that's how it works. BUT... you gotta be matching firmware. For instance, I have to be on .700 on both for this to work correctly. I imagine .800 on both would also do it.

You got me, still can't make it work. I updated the software on the Mavic today (although I didn't go to the one that says I will be limited to 30m and 50m without logging in.), and the Goggles says they have the latest version, but the head tracking does not raise or lower the Mavic.
It needed to be paired. Make sure your aircraft and remote are paired and on. You also need to activate the goggles by turning it on while the aircraft and remote on. Log into go app and activate.

It needed to be paired. Make sure your aircraft and remote are paired and on. You also need to activate the goggles by turning it on while the aircraft and remote on. Log into go app and activate.
As I mentioned, my goggles work and are activated. The problem I'm having is they don't work 100%. The first time I used them the head tracking to make the gimbal move worked fine, although the gimbal movements were not smooth, not very cinematic. Today the head tracking doesn't work, and I didn't change anything. I rebooted the goggle and craft as a sanity check, but no joy. All the other functions seem to work fine, but not gimbal control from head tracking. The only difference is I flew the Mavic with the DJI goggle AFTER I flew my P4 with the DJI goggle using an HDMI cable. Strange thing is, the HDMI cable worked with the P4 without having to select HDMI input in the mode menu. There's a specific button to activate HDMI input, but it wasn't needed, so I wonder why it's there. Then, after having the Mavic problem with head track gimbal broken, I thought I might have to disable the HDMI input afterwards, but that didn't help either. The subsequent Mavic wireless flight to control gimbal with head tracking continued disfunctional, no response. I'm perplexed. My feelings today are I wouldn't miss these DJI goggles if I hadn't bought them, based on what I know now. Anyone want a new set of DJI goggles for $400? And without the goggles I have no reason to keep my Mavic anymore, as I like my new P4P better.

I just tried my DJI Goggles in a non-flight setting. I cannot get them securely or comfortably behind my occipital ridge. There isn't enough angle between the headband and the goggles. And if I get it decent, as soon as I flip it up, it becomes totally unsecured and rips my reading glasses off my face.

Has anyone experienced that?

Also the screen never focuses for me adequately. I have read in some posts that based on the readers I have, I will need to double that.

I'm very disappointed in this product. If I cannot secure them properly on my head, how could I ever fly with it, as after flipping them up once I would need to put the controller down to use two hands to re-secure it.

For these two reasons alone, I don't think I can go any further with this product unless someone has a solution for the fitting the head issue?

====
Just tried a flight. The fit issue is worse than I expected. After flipping up, I needed a hand to make sure the goggles didn't fall to the ground while maintaining one hand on not dropping the controller. Glad I was only hovering. Though getting double stronger reading glasses may fix the screen, based on the fit I don't see how these can be functional.

Last edited:
I was tempted to start another thread, but I'll post on this one 1st.

Your evaluation of the DJI goggles was very comprehensive to say the least and very useful to those who have and would like an evaluation for all DJI products. However, I am only interested in the Mavic. The Mavic is my 5th DJI aircraft and the only one I use now.

I've done some flying with and without the goggle since I've had the goggles and I think the bottom line is; user satisfaction may vary.

So far, I've used my goggles to help me focus on media capture (video and stills), which is really what the drone is for (a flying camera).

I've used my goggles in mostly the head tracking mode and found them most useful. They have helped me stay on target with the subject immensely and my only wish is that DJI made the mode (head tracking) a hot key or button that I can toggle on and off as needed.

Other than that, they are an accessory I value as much as the Mavic itself. It's a great combination that I hope will continue to evolve without replacement.

Reactions: Greenflash
I was tempted to start another thread, but I'll post on this one 1st.

Your evaluation of the DJI goggles was very comprehensive to say the least and very useful to those who have and would like an evaluation for all DJI products. However, I am only interested in the Mavic. The Mavic is my 5th DJI aircraft and the only one I use now.

I've done some flying with and without the goggle since I've had the goggles and I think the bottom line is; user satisfaction may vary.

So far, I've used my goggles to help me focus on media capture (video and stills), which is really what the drone is for (a flying camera).

I've used my goggles in mostly the head tracking mode and found them most useful. They have helped me stay on target with the subject immensely and my only wish is that DJI made the mode (head tracking) a hot key or button that I can toggle on and off as needed.

Other than that, they are an accessory I value as much as the Mavic itself. It's a great combination that I hope will continue to evolve without replacement.

I am curious how you dealt with fit issues? If I do head tracking the goggles move and dislodge.
My second curiosity, especially since you using them for photographic framing, is how you deal with screen focus? Do you wear readers or higher power readers?
Thanks,

Rick

I have pretty good near vision in one eye so I can see pretty good. I do wish the goggles had diopters to correct that. As for the fit on the head, I initially wore it like a hat which is incorrect. It needs to be worn with the rear down at at an angle and the problem goes away.

I made a mount to hold readers in the goggles so when I flip them up I can see. See the attached Pic's. I bought a Under Armor fitted hat and wear it backwards. The inner band on the hat gives just the correct amount of resistance to keep the goggles in place. I can flip them up and down with one hand and the stay in place. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
I made a mount to hold readers in the goggles so when I flip them up I can see. See the attached Pic's. I bought a Under Armor fitted hat and wear it backwards. The inner band on the hat gives just the correct amount of resistance to keep the goggles in place. I can flip them up and down with one hand and the stay in place. Hope this helps.

The pictures are awesome, thank you so much!

So you found readers that did not have frames or over the ear stems? If so where?

What is the mount and is it glued to the inside of the goggle? What keeps it in place?

Here is the link to the readers I bought they have many different lenses.
I removed the clip that came with them and 3D printed my snap in mount.
Amazon.com: Carson Clip-and-Flip 1.75x Power Magnifying Lens +3.00 Diopters (OD-12): Sports & Outdoors

Here is the link to the clip I designed & printed. I used double sided tape to hold my clip in. That way I did not cause any permeant damage to the goggles.
DJI Goggles Clip to hold glasses by jtus

I also saw a thread where another guy used a rare earth magnet to hold the glasses in.

Reactions: drickbrinkman
I have pretty good near vision in one eye so I can see pretty good. I do wish the goggles had diopters to correct that. As for the fit on the head, I initially wore it like a hat which is incorrect. It needs to be worn with the rear down at at an angle and the problem goes away.

Thanks Goose.
I realize the back of the goggle strap is supposed to be at an angle under the occipital ridge on the back of the head. Maybe I just don't have enough ridge. ;-)
The hat idea suggested by "JTUS" sounds interesting.

Reactions: Sprinter
Amazon.com: Carson Clip-and-Flip 1.75x Power Magnifying Lens +3.00 Diopters (OD-12): Sports & Outdoors

Here is the link to the clip I designed & printed. I used double sided tape to hold my clip in. That way I did not cause any permeant damage to the goggles.

I also saw a thread where another guy used a rare earth magnet to hold the glasses in.
BIG THANKS!!! :)

One more question. You printed the clip using a 3D printer? If so did you happen to have access to a 3D printer or are there public ones available like at FedEx Kinkos?

btw - JTUS - thank you for sharing that link this morning - I'm very interested in trying these. This forum is great!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S