DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just a little Too Close for comfort

Sorry, quick question what is "threw her in ATTI" mean? When I encounter low flying aircraft, I tend to just hover or if I'm pretty high then I just descend. But it sounds like you were in waypoints so you had to do something special to drop 150 feet?
That's taking it out of "P-Mode" (this cancels any autonomous flights).

Most likely Donnie was flying a P4 so his "modes" may not align with what your M3 has.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Just a quick update.

I got a note from my FAA Safety Team Manager and they confirmed this aircraft was indeed flying below min altitude when he circled this area. Their reasoning being:

"......Your video had several verifiable landmarks in it and according to our investigation that pilot was, most likely, in violation of more than one regulation. We are trying to identify the aircraft/pilot to be able to complete our investigation........."

That's the end of the conversation for me but at least they confirmed my suspicions.
Fantastic news! They looked at the chart too.

Reactions: BigAl07
Tricky thing is, the lower the approaching craft, the less reaction time that we have. I had a helicopter approach at ~250' (I have 125' trees in my yard, and this was about twice their altitude), going extremely fast, but I did not hear it until it was time to look up in panic. Luckily I was under 200' and it was not in my flight path. It was still a heart pounding experience though.

Now the point. I was under the impression that manned aircraft, unless landing, taking off, or mission critical, are required to keep above 500'. That leaves us low flyers 100' of margin. If those that recklessly fly so low and fast aren't concerned for their own safety, why should we be concerned about getting out of their way? Probably because we care about endangering others more that they care about keeping themselves and others safe.

While shooting on a Construction Site (pre-construction to be exact) today, hovering at 165' AGL, I heard the sounds of an approaching helicopter. I saw it coming pretty much in my direction but just a pinch off of flying over me. I realized she was lower than expected and hit RECORD just in case I could get a good vid of her. She flew to the side of us and then circled back behind the mountain before heading our way again. When she came over the peak she dropped altitude and flew seemingly directly at us (I know it was a coincidence) and flew directly over my location. It was so close that the drone (M2P) shuddered (but nothing to cause loss of control)from the helicopter passing directly over and what I would roughly guestimate to be 300' AGL. To say I was in HUGE PUCKER FACTOR is an understatement.

I realize it's hard to accurately judge altitude of an aircraft with no reference but since I was hovering at 165' AGL and the helicopter looks to be about that same amount higher than me, my guess is 300' AGL. Due to this not being a sparsely populated area and they were well within 500' of buildings/structures he was busting the regs easily.

Your thoughts?

The rest of the story: Pay attention to (d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. Also the other reality, had the helicopter hit your drone; you would have been at fault regardless. I flew hang gliders for 30+ years (weight shift) and worked rotary wing aircraft for 50+ years. The helicopter in your video could have been inspecting the high wires shown in your video. There are any number or reasons it may have been lower then expected minimums. Best and safest is if you are concerned, descend well below anticipated flight path. It is doubtful based on the video provided that the helicopter rotor wash ever reached you or would have been significant unless he was gaining altitude at time he/she passed overhead. Just my humble opinion supported by the FAR's.

91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.​

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

Tricky thing is, the lower the approaching craft, the less reaction time that we have. I had a helicopter approach at ~250' (I have 125' trees in my yard, and this was about twice their altitude), going extremely fast, but I did not hear it until it was time to look up in panic. Luckily I was under 200' and it was not in my flight path. It was still a heart pounding experience though.

Now the point. I was under the impression that manned aircraft, unless landing, taking off, or mission critical, are required to keep above 500'. That leaves us low flyers 100' of margin. If those that recklessly fly so low and fast aren't concerned for their own safety, why should we be concerned about getting out of their way? Probably because we care about endangering others more that they care about keeping themselves and others safe.
Simple answer, because if the offending aircraft hits your drone, you are at fault.

Reactions: AlanL and KLRSKIR
For those reading this and offering your input, you may want to go back a few posts and read the responses from the FAA before you get too high up on your high horse. We all have opinions but the only one that matters came from the FAA.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
out of curiosity,is there a known case where heli or airplane was taked down by a small drone?

out of curiosity,is there a known case where heli or airplane was taked down by a small drone?
Just outside a Phantom 4 hit a UH-60 and it did an emergency landing and it did approx $250k in damage

Reactions: Skydreamer
As a former FAA Safety Team (FASST) Rep I immediately sent it up the chain and spoke with Charlotte Area FAA this morning. They are reaching out to the Tour Company as we speak and said they appreciated the information AND the video.
How did you come to the conclusion it was a tour helicopter? There were high power lines parallel to his flight path and it could just as easily been inspection.

How did you come to the conclusion it was a tour helicopter? There were high power lines parallel to his flight path and it could just as easily been inspection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas