DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just Crashd Mavic!

deercutter

Reactions
First flight out, crashed mavic in palm tree. The only visible damage was two cracked props. Or so I thought! When I tried to relaunch Mavic, error message on screen is "Aircraft motor overload. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed. Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restart fails again." I am unable to clear these messages. Gimbal moves smoothly as far as I can see. But I did notice a scrape on the gimbal in two places. Please see attached image. Should I be calling for a RMA? I did purchase the insurance.

Thank you in advance!
deercutter

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 223
Youre batting an even .000 lol

If its not working its probably not gonna fix itself....

First flight out, crashed mavic in palm tree. The only visible damage was two cracked props. Or so I thought! When I tried to relaunch Mavic, error message on screen is "Aircraft motor overload. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed. Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restart fails again." I am unable to clear these messages. Gimbal moves smoothly as far as I can see. But I did notice a scrape on the gimbal in two places. Please see attached image. Should I be calling for a RMA? I did purchase the insurance.

Thank you in advance!
deercutter

I would be worried about the aircraft motor overload. If it were me, I would be contacting support and talk to them about the error messages. I am sure they will say it needs to be returned for repair. I would not fly it again.

How do so many people manage to crash initially! I mean, I understand inexperience adds risk, but surely then staying away from trees might be a good idea...

Sorry OP - not meaning to be unhelpful, it sucks you crashed on your first flight. That does indeed look like you've broken the gimbal, you're probably going to be best to just send it in for refresh.

Thank you in advance!
deercutter

I think your error message probably says "Gimbal motor overload" not "aircraft motor overload." If its a gimbal motor overload, youre probably going to need a gimbal flat ribbon cable. $29 part but 1.5 hours labor to put it in. If its an aircraft motor overload, you have to send it in to DJI.

If youve got Refresh, you can send it in to DJI in Carson, CA and expect to wait around 4-5 weeks to get a replacement that might be a refurbished unit.

How do so many people manage to crash initially! I mean, I understand inexperience adds risk, but surely then staying away from trees might be a good idea...

Sorry OP - not meaning to be unhelpful, it sucks you crashed on your first flight. That does indeed look like you've broken the gimbal, you're probably going to be best to just send it in for refresh.

Panic, usually. Followed by improper control inputs.

It's pretty easy to do if you haven't built up the appropriate muscle memory that allows you to respond automatically to a given visual input. i.e. - my mavic appears to be heading for that lone palm tree...help!

Reactions: digdat0 and Rbruz
Looks like a substantial impact to the gimbal housing which may have bent something. Best to call DJi and see what they say.

Send it to thunder drones he has the parts and the knowledge, best part get it back quicker.

It's worth a shot and I don't think it will necessarily fix it, but try to do an IMU calibrationa than a gimbal calibration. I have heard of IMU calibrations fixxing seeming unrelated issues. Like I said I don't think it will necessarily work but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

I contacted DJI support because I purchased the DJ care refresh. Sending it in tomorrow morning. I'll,let everyone know how long it takes to get the Mavic back....

Reactions: grizzard
As of 5/12/17, DJI is sending me out a replacement unit! So just under two weeks. The longest part was them receiving the unit.

Reactions: digdat0
I totally feel your pain as I just went through this whole exact scenario except mine just nicked the bumper of my truck as it was coming in for a landing and through my inexperience cut left instead of right Nick to bumper drone dropped about 2 feet at most but still was enough to kill the gimbal / camera. So now my mavic is in DJI is hands. They sent me the evaluation and said they will send me another one I have DJI care Refresh. I paid the $79 fee on Wednesday but they are still yet to send it out shipping.
It seems that when the mavic does take a hit the first thing to go is the ribbon Cable in the gimbal / camera assembly and if you were to replace it which is not a simple task it would probably get back to normal but however judging by the damage on the camera itself you are damaged maybe a little more severe so get ready to use your first episode of the DJI care refresh

Hey Mike hey since I already purchased the DJI care refresh I figured the $79 would be worth it at least for this first repair after one month of owning the **** thing.

The message is motor overload check the motors I had the same issue after my first crash.
What it turned out to be is one of the tangs the hold the propeller blades on broke off and fell into the motor.. A tweezer, a toothpick and determination cleared it. I've had no issues since..
Good Luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos