DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got certified! Flying above 400 feet? Within 5 Mi Radius?

• Thread starter Former Member6292019
  • Start date
F

Former Member6292019

Afternoon everyone,

Great news! I passed my Pats 107 exam with flying colors (used remotepilot101) and now can fly commercially.

I have a mission coming up where I would like to fly above 400 feet. Since this mission will be within 400 feet of the building I am shooting I am legally allowed to do this. However in the DJI app, it appears to be hard wired to never let me go above that limit.

Is there some way to tell the app or DJI that you are now certified and allowed to fly in this fashion? I suppose this goes for the 5-mile-radius rule as well.

Thanks!!

The app does not care if you are within five miles of an airport. If you check the DJI Geo map you can see where any restricted or authorization zones would impact your flight.

Hey thanks! Didn't know that.

Any clue about being able to fly within 5 mi of an airport?

No clue w/ regards to all that NFZ restrictions from DJI, still using old FW 400 and old GO 405 app.
For sure you need to call the tower for your flight plans.

No clue w/ regards to all that NFZ restrictions from DJI, still using old FW 400 and old GO 405 app.
For sure you need to call the tower for your flight plans.

Part 107 flights do not require calls to the tower or airport - that is a hobbyist thing.

Any restrictions on height limits start from your take off elevation. If you take off from a 100 foot building (given you have that authority) you can fly a further 400 feet above that point. However, technically you should not fly higher than 400 feet above ground level. In the above case, ground level would be from the top of the 100 foot building, and so long as you fly directly over any part of that 100 foot building a further 400 feet, you would still be within your limits. If you flew away from the building you would have to stay within 400 feet of whatever is directly below the drone. Your controller will tell you how high you are relative to the elevation of your take off point, not relative to the varying elevations the drone may fly over.

Reactions: geigy
Right, picture a 400 foot horizontal area around the building - you can fly 400 feet above that. You are always required to yield to manned aircraft, so listen for copters.

Allways the same question, how to fly above 500m.... I just say its possible. All the time i get the question: "why shoud ....." i fly on mountain, so i want to fly above the highest point, actually im never above 100m over ground. if i Start on the top, or below, its the same.. My testfligt says, i can fligh as high as i want

I believe there is a buffer zone around tall objects as well. Someone chime in. Although the altitude should be to the object directly below you, we all know that it would be impossible to fly over a building if the altitude was only for the point directly below the aircraft. Seems like the buffer zone (where you are allowed to fly higher than 400') was 100-400' range around the structure. Meaning, you have a radius around that building where your max altitude is building height, plus max 400'. So, 100 ft building height, plus 400 max height = 500' altitude allowable within x-ft radius of the building. Just don't remember what that radius is. Maybe it is relative to the building height. Anyone?

Reactions: Astropin
Part 107 flights do not require calls to the tower or airport - that is a hobbyist thing.
I believe you are wrong about that. 107 being a commercial license requires you to call a tower if you are within 5 miles of it.
I think you are referring to the 333 which is for hobbyists. Correct me if I'm wrong!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627