DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got DJI Goggles and now I get random disconnects (Mavic Pro)

StefanG

Reactions
I thought I should ask you guys if you have experienced something like this.

I am using a Mavic Pro with:
FW - 01.04.0300 (both craft and remote)
APP - 4.1.22 (Android, with OnePlus 5)
Goggles - 01.04.0300

I recently bought a set of DJI Goggles and now when I started to use them I get lots of random disconnects. This goes both for the googles as well as the remote controller. I even got my first RTH (that I did not initiate) today. This was due to the fact that the RC actually seemed to drop connection. I do not think it was the standard USB-cable/App issues, but rather the RC lost connection. It showed the "Connecting..." message on the display and I had no control at all.

Luckily, everything went well and I thought "one time is no time..." so I rebooted all, changed battery etc. Then I got this again (same disconnect, both goggles and RC). I made totally 4 flights (to test) and only one of these did not disconnect.

To this story one should add that I have NEVER had any of these disconnects before with my Mavic Pro before (since may 2017). I have not changed anything (software nor hardware) other than adding the DJI goggles to the system. I tend to think that they must be involved in this somehow. I then thought I should ask here if you have seen something like this before, and if you possibly have any cure. Maybe some bad combo of FW/SW in my setup?

The sad part with this is that my "trust" for my Mavic Pro got a punch today...hopefully I will regain it again.

Hrm. I think I selected the binding through the meny and I think it was the Quick one. Does it matter?

It could. Advanced is meant for use only with 2 sets of goggles and completely changes the way control orders are sent.

Ah, ok. No I did not use the advanced menu. I Will redo it just in case.

@StefanG, yes, I was plagued with random RC disconnections from my MPP back in June, which I had a sense may have been related to simultaneous DJI Goggles connection, but wasn't able to troubleshoot that correlation thoroughly.

For a few reasons, I concluded my RC had gone defective (seemed to be overheating) so I returned the entire bundle to Costco under their satisfaction guarantee and took home a new one. With the new gear, I've had no aircraft disconnections from the remote, however I do experience occasional DJI Go app disconnections from the RC (i.e. RC continues to control the MPP). These have reduced since I started connecting my Android phone to the bottom USB port on the RC, vs. the side.

There was also one incident with the new bundle where my goggles disconnected unexpectedly, and subsequently reported a firmware version of 00.00.0000. I refreshed the goggles firmware using DJI Assistant, and that has not occurred.

My story is posted here, including a video of one of my incidents: RESOLVED: Worsening disconnections from AC => Overheating RC

@KeithLa, Thank you! I will read through your story more in detail. I scanned through it now and the problem I have is that everything worked perfectly 2 days ago...the only difference is my new set of goggles, hence I still suspect that it has to do with this. Maybe the RC has to "work harder" when there are multiple Occusync devices (i.e. the goggles) and would become overheated by that? I will investigate further and try to do some tests with/without goggles and see if I can find something. Thanks for all input!

I'm not entirely sure my overheating diagnosis is correct, just a theory. I've also been wondering if that original RC may have been affected electronically through the USB connection to my phone, perhaps related to the fast/turbo charging circuitry. Again, just speculation.

The next time you experience a disconnect, keep them powered on and immediately check what firmware version is reported in either DJI Go 4 app or DJI Assistant. I bet the goggles and/or RC will report all zeros. Let them cool down, then check again, it'll be interesting to see if it reverts to normal. And you might just want to try refreshing the firmware on all three, and see what happens.

I will keep an eye out for the reported FW.

I just did a "bench test" (without props and no flying) to see if something got overheated or not. At this time I also did a reset on all settings. Then, the question on what type of stream (i.e. the HD setting came up). This time I selected "smooth" last tests, when I had trouble I was in "normal". Don't know if these things matter (should not of course). Anyhow, no disconnects during the bench test...but that probably does not really give an answer.

I will continue to investigate and report back if I find something.

A small follow up on this. I did a re-flash of firmware in goggles, reset settings and changed to my dedicated (Huawei Medipad M5) android device. Flew today without any issues at all. Confidence in Mavic is getting higher...but still lower than before.

I also flew with "smooth" (720p60fps) settings instead of previously "normal" mode. Not sure what else is different, but this time I had no trouble at all. Hopefully my issues are going away... I will let you know if status changes.

Side note...it is quite amazing to cruise around using the goggles. Really nice. In combination with tripod mode, you feel like you have perfect control even in small areas. Great!

I recently started using goggles. Quite often get DJI app hanging now or disconnecting (iOS) which never had before, but remote and goggles stay connected.

Have just updated goggles firmware and had 2 flights since, so far no app problems anymore.

Hopefully your goggles firmware flash did the trick

Hmm can’t say the number, didn’t check. The latest one that DJI assistant installed via computer connection.
Also latest on Mavic

Reactions: StefanG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada