DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got my New Mini 2

frcaloy

Reactions
Just got my new Mini 2 yesterday. I have an Air2S and a Magic Air2 but I need a sub 250 gram drone for travel to the USA. Opted for the Mini 2 instead of the M3P because of the cost. Just want a fun drone that is cost effective and the M3P would be redundant on account of the Air2S.

Flew 3 batteries today. Daytime flying. No filters and videos on auto mode. Even the 1080P is ok.

It's a non-pretentious drone that does the job. Will be my go to drone I think.

Solid drone all around... Hard to beat at that price point. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers!

Reactions: dart106
Just got my new Mini 2 yesterday. I have an Air2S and a Magic Air2 but I need a sub 250 gram drone for travel to the USA. Opted for the Mini 2 instead of the M3P because of the cost. Just want a fun drone that is cost effective and the M3P would be redundant on account of the Air2S.

Flew 3 batteries today. Daytime flying. No filters and videos on auto mode. Even the 1080P is ok.

It's a non-pretentious drone that does the job. Will be my go to drone I think.
While I'm a fan of the Mini 2 and own one myself, Why would you not bring your Air2s to the USA? It's only about 250 grams heavier than the Mini 2. As the Mini 2 and the Air2s use the same controller, perhaps you might consider brining both? Last year I traveled the East Coast and while I considered brining my Mini 2, the Mavic 2 Pro was a far better choice and packed wisely for day trips not once did I regret having the bigger drone.

That's not to say that the Mini 2 isn't a great drone for what it is. But if you're coming all this way, presumably from the Phillipines, wouldn't you want to have the most versatile, best shooting drone for what might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip?

Did you read the OP ?
Yes... and I stand by what I said. The Mini 2 is good. The Air2s is better. And IMO when you take a once in a lifetime trip I would think that you would want the best film clips and videos that you can capture. IMO the Air2s isn't that much larger or heavier, but will fly in conditions that wouldn't be ideal for the Mini 2. JMO.

Reactions: mobilehomer
I think the Mini 2 is the best drone DJI has put out, considering value, cost and abilities. In my rural area it is perfect, does what I need it to do in a ranch setting. I hope it has support, batteries, for a long time.

Yes... and I stand by what I said. The Mini 2 is good. The Air2s is better. And IMO when you take a once in a lifetime trip I would think that you would want the best film clips and videos that you can capture. IMO the Air2s isn't that much larger or heavier, but will fly in conditions that wouldn't be ideal for the Mini 2. JMO.
I think that the reason behind the OPs choice is that sub 250 gram drone does not have to registered, which could be problematic for the OP, since he's from the Philippines.

I think that the reason behind the OPs choice is that sub 250 gram drone does not have to registered, which could be problematic for the OP, since he's from the Philippines.
I just looked up rules for foreign UAS pilots and it really doesn't say much beyond citing rules if flying for commercial purposes. I looked further and I think all the OP has to do is register the drone and pay the $5 fee that citizens pay, providing he is flying for recreational purposes. And to be practical, if he takes cool footage and decides to do something with them once he's back in the Philipines, is the FAA really going to track him down.

The US seems to have the most relaxed rules in the world. And on a practical level, it's not like some countries where there are folks looking to shake down foreigners (ask me about my traffic stop while living in Mexico).

Again, the Mini 2 is a formidable aircraft, but it ain't no Air2s, which the OP already owns. JMO

Reactions: dart106 and frcaloy
I just looked up rules for foreign UAS pilots and it really doesn't say much beyond citing rules if flying for commercial purposes. I looked further and I think all the OP has to do is register the drone and pay the $5 fee that citizens pay, providing he is flying for recreational purposes. And to be practical, if he takes cool footage and decides to do something with them once he's back in the Philipines, is the FAA really going to track him down.

The US seems to have the most relaxed rules in the world. And on a practical level, it's not like some countries where there are folks looking to shake down foreigners (ask me about my traffic stop while living in Mexico).

Again, the Mini 2 is a formidable aircraft, but it ain't no Air2s, which the OP already owns. JMO
I think that it is not necessary to register the sub 250g drone. I have a TRUST certificate.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I think that it is not necessary to register the sub 250g drone. I have a TRUST certificate.
That's true. Under 250g no registration required. I've had a Mini 1, and now a Mini 2 and Mini 3 as well as a Mavic 2 Pro. None of my Minis have ever been flown "naked" and have always had leg extensions and I rarely fly without strobes. But hey, that's me. And recreational registration is simple, fast and cheap. I see/saw no reason to let "registration" limit how I fly my drones recreationally.

Last year we took an extended vacation on the east coast and I wrestled with which drone I'd take. I thought I'd actually take both Mini 2 and M2p. Would the Mavic 2 be too hard to walk around with all day, I wondered? I chose the Mavic 2 because I knew the images would be better and would handle better in less than ideal conditions. I brought my "full kit" but also brought the M2's fly more bag. The drone, controller, batteries and ND filters went on the plane with me in my backpack and the rest of the kit was packed with the luggage. Each day I'd go with the fly more bag, setup, walking around all day with the essentials and never once thought that I should have brought my Mini 2 instead.

Of course you should do what you think is best for you. But considering you have a choice of dronesI thought I'd chime in, having had to make a similar choice a year ago (registration not withstanding).

Reactions: frcaloy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15