DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kickstarter Zing drone delivery service

Actually, exactly the opposite. The initial lift takes more energy than the other parts of the flight. Take for example, the clean and jerk vs the dead lift. If the drone were deadlifting, yes the battery would run down faster. Once the weight is lifted, the rest is aerodynamics.
True, but it still takes more energy to remain aloft, fight wind, and overcome the extra drag of a payload....
It did make me think of one of those extra battery mods, but it has weight and drag.
I just don’t see the practicality of using a consumer drone.

True, but it still takes more energy to remain aloft, fight wind, and overcome the extra drag of a payload....
It did make me think of one of those extra battery mods, but it has weight and drag.
I just don’t see the practicality of using a consumer drone.

Picture yourself on a hot boat on a lake. You just ran out of Coke. You pick up your phone, dial drone delivery and within minutes you have a nice refreshing beverage in your hand.

Let me tell you, I cant count how many times I wish there was drone delivery on the lake near me. It would beat pulling up anchor and trying to find dock space at the crowded marina.

Not really. My point being is just because it can lift a given weight doesn't mean that it can carry it for a significant amount of time or carry it safely. The more weight it carries, the less the flight time, along with reduced performance and safety. This is more of a problem for an aircraft that hangs on props versus fixed wing. That would be bad enough, but the payload basket makes things worse with induced drag and fighting wind gusts, etc.

Back to what I posted earlier, I don't see more than 3 flights in the real world, if that, carrying a delivery any significant distance that DOESN'T weigh that much. This is just based on the amount of time it would need to be powered up and in the air for a complete round trip. Add a pound or so for any payload worth delivering and what are you left with? Not much. So it seems to me that using something the size of the M2P for what zing is proposing is in the realm of fantasy.

If they want to be taken seriously they need to prove it's possible. Load the basket up with two or three cans of soda/whatever and make as many 1000+ yard round trips on one battery as possible. Do it with a 5-10 mph breeze along with realistic times for the customer to get to the drone and actually unload it, allowing it to make the return trip. And this scenario is for the only one that I see as there being anything close to realistic in terms of market and feasibility due to cost and range - namely running stuff out to boats in a harbor as you suggested. And who is going to pay a delivery charge of 5 or more dollars just to get a soda/beer, etc. on demand when they had the opportunity to plan ahead and pack what they wanted anyway? In other words the majority won't have any need, and most others will just wait 'til they get to shore.

Oh, and the test should also include the drone evading things thrown at it from the angry mob below that's sick and tired of all of the buzzing, etc. ;)

Not really. My point being is just because it can lift a given weight doesn't mean that it can carry it for a significant amount of time or carry it safely. The more weight it carries, the less the flight time, along with reduced performance and safety. This is more of a problem for an aircraft that hangs on props versus fixed wing. That would be bad enough, but the payload basket makes things worse with induced drag and fighting wind gusts, etc.

Back to what I posted earlier, I don't see more than 3 flights in the real world, if that, carrying a delivery any significant distance that DOESN'T weigh that much. This is just based on the amount of time it would need to be powered up and in the air for a complete round trip. Add a pound or so for any payload worth delivering and what are you left with? Not much. So it seems to me that using something the size of the M2P for what zing is proposing is in the realm of fantasy.

If they want to be taken seriously they need to prove it's possible. Load the basket up with two or three cans of soda/whatever and make as many 1000+ yard round trips on one battery as possible. Do it with a 5-10 mph breeze along with realistic times for the customer to get to the drone and actually unload it, allowing it to make the return trip. And this scenario is for the only one that I see as there being anything close to realistic in terms of market and feasibility due to cost and range - namely running stuff out to boats in a harbor as you suggested. And who is going to pay a delivery charge of 5 or more dollars just to get a soda/beer, etc. on demand when they had the opportunity to plan ahead and pack what they wanted anyway? In other words the majority won't have any need, and most others will just wait 'til they get to shore.

Oh, and the test should also include the drone evading things thrown at it from the angry mob below that's sick and tired of all of the buzzing, etc. ;)
Precisely, what everybody has been saying. Of course drone delivery is feasible and will be a reality but not with a private army of mavic owners looking to make a couple bucks in their spare time. Uber and Lyft are one thing, this is not the same.

Precisely, what everybody has been saying. Of course drone delivery is feasible and will be a reality but not with a private army of mavic owners looking to make a couple bucks in their spare time. Uber and Lyft are one thing, this is not the same.

I have to disagree with you there. Uber and Lyft were just concepts at one point in time. Noody thought that private vehicle owners competing against well established and territorial taxi and limo drivers would stand a chance. They were wrong.

The entry fee to get into drone delivery is extremely low compared to Uber or Lyft. With U and L, you need a late model car, have to actually drive someone around, and hope that you end up making more than minimum wage after you amortize the cost of the car you are using, plus gas, maintenance and insurance. Almost every single driver that I have met has said that they only make money during rush hour, and have to really hustle a 12-14 hour day to make it worthwhile.

Drone delivery is comparably easier. Most people already own a drone anyway, and can use it to make money in their spare time. Making $10 an hour is entirely possible, and no driving involved.

"Drone delivery is comparably easier. Most people already own a drone anyway, and can use it to make money in their spare time. Making $10 an hour is entirely possible"

except that no one has actually proved that yet. Not counting big startups that have millions in their budgets like amazon and the company in Africa delivering medical supplies can you point me to a company delivering pizza, soda, cigarettes or another common consumer product for general delivery to ordinary people on a daily basis? I'm not saying it wont happen eventually because it will, and someone has to go first to make all the mistakes and work out all the problems so others can follow but there are real world realities to deal with as well and I think that's what we are debating, not that it cant be done but rather not the way they are proposing.

I think thats what the Kickstarter campaign is all about. Exploring the opportunities of providing a revolutionary new service.

My point is that you dont need millions in your budget to start a drone delivery company. UPS is starting to deliver blood in drones, but thats not a realistic starting point for entrepreneurial drone delivery pilots.

Back when the US government first started delivering mail by air, do you know who they chose? Barnstormers! They were natural pilots and knew how to navigate. This is a fascinating story about a guy some people might have heard of. He was a mail delivery pioneer, and used his own equipment to do the job. He achieved a 99% efficiency rate.

If something as awesome as Concorde could be nuetered by the public domain re noise,
Im guessing Delievery drones can too.

Unless everyone becomes has become an Amazon addicts who want their 5#17 6 hours earlier, instead of hearing the birds and trees n stuff

edit: Mind you Delievery Drones are kinda ghey, while Concorde was awesome.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this startup. They recently posted a new video going over their app that does not show an actual delivery and claims a Mavic can deliver a 2 to 3 pound payload (at 6:31 in the video). How long and how far can your Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 Pro fly with 2 extra pounds and a big basket hanging below it? The app seems pretty good, but now they are suggesting a Matrice 200 or 600 for heavier objects. Maybe I'm too cynical...

I can see my modest MA delivering your wedding ring to your chosen location of ceremony. I could add a drop down fishing line extension if you are worried about the props messing up your hair (or your finger;)). And a little confetti can be added to enhance the atmosphere and brighten the occasion. But those would be premium features that would cost more.

All I am saying is, it is a matter of perspective :)

The owner once had several threads trying to solicit folks.... to make the required donation to cover expenses and use their own drones for the deliveries. Thought this project was all but dead.

Reactions: Gringorio
Did anyone ever buy one of the prototypes off of their kickstarter. I wouldn't mind having one to play around with, but wouldn't want to use the app.
I'm curious if they ever actually made any and sent them out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov