DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kite checks out my Mavic Pro

The Fat Controller

Reactions
Flying my Mavic early morning while on a short break to Co. Kilkenny in Ireland and a couple of Kites decided to check it out. This one came back for a second look.

kite investigating mavic pro.jpg kite swoops on mavic.jpg

Wonder if it's got that "I wonder is that strange creature tastes nice?" expression on its face? ;)

I'd guess the wingspan was about 3 or 4 feet. The birds appeared out of nowhere, checked out the Mavic a few times then headed off when I lowered it and brought it in close to where I was standing. The above photos were stills grabbed from the video. In the video itself the interaction between the birds and the Mavic was over in a flash, they really are quick. I'm wondering whether the reason they didn't grab it was because the noise from the props made them have a rethink about tactics.

Looks like a red tail, they were just reintroduced a couple years ago; wingspan maybe 70 inches.
Yes, it's a Red Kite, they're quite common in that part of Ireland, lots of open farmland gives them room to do their thing. Beautiful bird, lovely plumage.

I'd guess the wingspan was about 3 or 4 feet. The birds appeared out of nowhere, checked out the Mavic a few times then headed off when I lowered it and brought it in close to where I was standing. The above photos were stills grabbed from the video. In the video itself the interaction between the birds and the Mavic was over in a flash, they really are quick. I'm wondering whether the reason they didn't grab it was because the noise from the props made them have a rethink about tactics.

Bigger than that - as @Bunny Too says, they're typically a six-foot wingspan. I sometimes have as many as a couple of dozen flying over me which can be a bit intimidating. Also a lot of their slightly smaller cousin the brown kite. But weirdly you're more likely - like the red kite - to find the bloody crows are the more aggressive nuisance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka