DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Know any good 3D printing forums?

DrPeppar

Reactions
I'm going to be brand new to the 3D printing game in a few months and wanted to get up to speed on how to best use these critters.
I Kickstarted a MakerArm 3D printer with all the goodies who's delivery was postponed until December so far. I ordered it simply on the coolness factor with no specific need for it.
What is a good forum for beginners?
Thanks

Good question! Typically 3 D printer forums spring up around the specific 3 D printer that one has or is building. The reason for this is there are specific questions about the make and model 3 D printer that one will be using or tweaking.

I built my Mini Kossel 3 D printer in this fashion by participating in the Google Group dedicated to the Mini Kossel.

Here is a pretty generic looking forum that may encompass your model of 3 D printer. 3D Printing Forum - 3D Print Board

What is a good forum for beginners?
The best forums I found are those created by the manufacturer or that were created to discuss a specific 3D printer. All 3D printers are different, so you likely won't find much use in hanging out in a forum that tries to discuss all 3D printers in general.

Reactions: BD0G
please help me out. i want to buy to buy a brand new 3d printer, which printer will be best for my personaluse?
I really like my MakerGear M2 printers. You can find more details about it (or the newer M3 model) on the manufacturer's website here.

Last edited:
Hey mate.
Try the tronXY X1
Great little printer. About $140 from gearbest.
Easy to build, great instructions.
Easy to set up.
Only prints in PLA due to no heated bed but for,a first printer it is great.
It’s my 3rd printer and I wish this was out when I first started.

My advice?
Whatever model you choose, make sure it does have a heated bed. Even for PLA - I've been there and can appreciate the difference. You heat this to 65-70 Celsius degrees and forget about tapes, sprays, special pads... glass is the best for bottom print surface quality, maintenance and removal (when it cools down you just grab the print and pick it up).
Worth the money by all means - and if you happen to start printing in ABS, you already got what's necessary.

Agreed on the heated bed. I just got into 3D printing with an entry level printer ($220) and I already want a better one. My build plate is too small but otherwise its a good printer. free slicing software is okay but I want to get simplify 3D which is $150. I think it will make a difference in my prints that require support.

Agreed on the heated bed. I just got into 3D printing with an entry level printer ($220) and I already want a better one. My build plate is too small but otherwise its a good printer. free slicing software is okay but I want to get simplify 3D which is $150. I think it will make a difference in my prints that require support.
You are absolutely correct about Simplify3D. At begining I used Cura, slic3r, kisslicer, but ended up buing Simplify. If you print more, or more demanding models - it's worth the money.
Still, for some models I still use kisslicer as on rare occasions it does the better job (some long overhangs for example).
Note, you can install Simpify on two registered computers...

This girl does a lot of 3D printer reviews and prints. At first you might be tempted to write her off as only an attention whore but if you give her a chance she's actually quite smart and handy. She even flies drones and has done a review of the Spark. I didn't post it but she did a video of her printing a bikini and in part 2 she wears it to a public pool.

Anyway, here's one of the tamer videos,

Must be doing something wrong if you need a heated bed for pla. Ive been printing for 4 years with no heated bed. As long as i have a raft of 5 or 6 lines, 0 lift on any print.
Im not saying the tronxy x1 is the best printer. Just a really good one for the money. For a first printer and to test the waters for minimal investment, my number one pick

Must be doing something wrong if you need a heated bed for pla. Ive been printing for 4 years with no heated bed. As long as i have a raft of 5 or 6 lines, 0 lift on any print.
Im not saying the tronxy x1 is the best printer. Just a really good one for the money. For a first printer and to test the waters for minimal investment, my number one pick

You don’t need a heated bed for PLA... but it’s nice to have. It keeps the first layer from shrinking after cooling. I love having one for PLA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98