DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KP- Index number

facasi

Reactions
Hello friends,

I was wondering if KP Index value is an important data to consider before flying. So far I understand that is related to the disturbances in the earth magnetic field and satellites locks.

Do you take this in consideration since "lower then better".

Thanks

c9dae0032070641c9904a3c535c15a29.jpg

It doesn't affect most people. Check out these search results to find existing threads on this topic.

Reactions: Thomas B and facasi
Hello friends,

I was wondering if KP Index value is an important data to consider before flying. So far I understand that is related to the disturbances in the earth magnetic field and satellites locks.

Do you take this in consideration since "lower then better".

Thanks

c9dae0032070641c9904a3c535c15a29.jpg
The higher the Kp index, the greater affect on GPS signals. A strong coronal mass ejection can strongly interfere with GPS signals, induce high voltage in power lines and cause power failures.

The higher the Kp index, the greater affect on GPS signals. A strong coronal mass ejection can strongly interfere with GPS signals, induce high voltage in power lines and cause power failures.
Despite hundreds of thousands of drones flying all around the world, there still hasn't been a single incident that could be attributed to the much-hyped high Kp index.
The kind of errors it might actually cause in GPS accuracy are within the (commonly) 1.5-2 metre error that's inherrent in consumer GPS already.

It's easy to find articles and forum posts suggesting that flying in a high Kp index is or might be a problem.
It's harder to find anything authoritative that shows exactly what this problem might be.
Here's a scientific paper that does:
Just skip to the conclusions for the information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter