DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC / AirMap / Hobbyist

ddodell

Reactions
I am a hobbyist ( Part 336) pilot. Don't have my Part 107, and really have no need since I have no desire to do anything commercial at this time.

However, I want to stay legal which includes notifying local airports when I'm within their 5 miles.

I've noticed I've been able to use Skyward to do LAANC notifications, unfortunately, either their mobile app doesn't have this ability or I'm totally missing it.

Tried using Airmap, but they seem to be limiting this to only Part 107 pilots.

So, any suggestions for the non-107 pilots? Any good mobile app that will allow us to do LAANC notifications to our local airports?

PS Side note ... was recently in Indiana flying, and notified two small airports. The airport operators were extremely friendly, asking questions, asking for my call back and were very gracious thanking me for making the call ... this is the way it should be on both sides.

Possibly because the Commercial Drone Alliance is trying to get section 336 repealed and make everyone fly under Part 107. It's in these app's best interest (not the users) to only support 107 so they can monetize it. That's my take, anyway, and it's probably wrong. ;-)

Possibly because the Commercial Drone Alliance is trying to get section 336 repealed and make everyone fly under Part 107. It's in these app's best interest (not the users) to only support 107 so they can monetize it. That's my take, anyway, and it's probably wrong. ;-)

Then if true you would think Skyward would have the same attitude versus allowing me to do LAANC through the website. I wish they had a mobile app

they haven't stopped me .. I don't have a Part 107 license, and it is taking my requests.

The requests are handled within seconds, since i'm not doing anything out of what they state is going to be authorized. I'm using it primary as a notification system, since I usually can't find any way to contact the local towers to comply with the 5 mile rule notification.

Interesting, but I was looking for the app and saw one article that Verizon bought Skyward? And when I found the page for Skyward the "getting started" section said the mobile app is no longer available and not supported for upgrades, but legacy use was available. Am I missing a source?
Edit: Was able to access when I re-entered the site, maps and plan now working. With the new lines drawn recently by the FAA there is less restricted space near me now and a lot of places I wanted to use are open. Thanks for letting us know about Skyward.

Last edited:
The requests are handled within seconds, since i'm not doing anything out of what they state is going to be authorized. I'm using it primary as a notification system, since I usually can't find any way to contact the local towers to comply with the 5 mile rule notification.

AirMap has all of the phone numbers for ATC in the app. Touch the airport of choice and it should pop up

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000