Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

LAANC and the FAA

Paulricchi

Reaction score
I have 2 question. I have utilized LAANC numerous times through AirMap over the past several months. What is the process the FAA used to review the information I submit? The approvals I receive ( usually for KBOS class B airspace) are usually approved instantly. It has to be some type of computer review. I’m not complaining but I would like to know the process that is used.

Finally I have been waiting for a small airport near me,Beverly MA, airport to start using LAANC. How long can “approval for flights under 200 ft coming soon “ be posted on AIRMap for this particular airport? It’s been close to a year now

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Each airport has a set of "standards" that if your request meet it gets AUTO approval by the system. If your request falls outside of those it gets a manual approval which could take a couple of minutes or weeks depending on it's complexity and degree of potential safety hazards.

There is no way to know when or IF those not participating in LAANC are going to participate. Some never will.

Reactions: JS1600 and Thomas B

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
What is the process the FAA used to review the information I submit?
Per the FAA website:

"LAANC automates the application and approval process for airspace authorizations. Through automated applications developed by an FAA Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS) pilots apply for an airspace authorization.

Requests are checked against multiple airspace data sources in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as UAS Facility Maps, Special Use Airspace data, Airports and Airspace Classes, as well as Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) and Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs). If approved, pilots can receive their authorization in near-real time."

Paulricchi

Reaction score
Each airport has a set of "standards" that if your request meet it gets AUTO approval by the system. If your request falls outside of those it gets a manual approval which could take a couple of minutes or weeks depending on it's complexity and degree of potential safety hazards.

There is no way to know when or IF those not participating in LAANC are going to participate. Some never will.
Thanks for the reply. Now I understand the process

Reactions: BigAl07

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
When LAANC is not available, as is the case for Chandler Regional, a larger private airport about 4.7 miles from my most frequent local flying area, you can use the FAA’s Drone Zone. I found them responsive and helpful. They even send reminders for clearance, which can last up to 30 days on a single application... only took about 24-36 hrs to get.
281B6BC8-DF83-4546-A417-A7A262241C0C.png

Reactions: BigAl07

dawgpilot

Reaction score
When LAANC is not available, as is the case for Chandler Regional, a larger private airport about 4.7 miles from my most frequent local flying area, you can use the FAA’s Drone Zone. I found them responsive and helpful. They even send reminders for clearance, which can last up to 30 days on a single application...
View attachment 78756
Might want to add that the DroneZone authorization process is currently available to Part 107 pilots only. (I watched the FAA Webinar yesterday and they don't have an estimate about when that process will be expanded to Recreational pilots)

Also you can get a Airspace Authorization valid for a year (or maybe even more). The two wide-area authorizations I currently hold were both issued for an entire year of validity. Maybe if you are asking for altitudes above the facility map altitude, they are more restrictive though?

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reaction score
Finally I have been waiting for a small airport near me,Beverly MA, airport to start using LAANC. How long can “approval for flights under 200 ft coming soon “ be posted on AIRMap for this particular airport? It’s been close to a year now

I emailed the FAA about the same situation for an airport near me. Their reply indicated that the coming soon language indicates by the end of the year. However, the email didn't indicate which year.;)

dawgpilot

Reaction score

I emailed the FAA about the same situation for an airport near me. Their reply indicated that the coming soon language indicates by the end of the year. However, the email didn't indicate which year.;)
Yeah, I would take that promise with a grain of salt. There were plenty of airports that had the same "Coming soon" language back in 2018 that still aren't available on LAANC.

Reactions: Bobvt

Maviac

Reaction score
Reactions: DavidNDC
DJI Drone Service

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradfordD