DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC authorizations....

DamienC

Reactions
Just checking, as I'm a little confused to exactly what I need to do here.

I'm seeking permission to shoot the state capitol building in my state, but it's within 5 miles of the airport, Class C airspace. It is a LAANC airport, and I have Kittyhawk installed on my smart phone, Part 107 number entered etc.

Do I need further FAA authorization (a waiver) if the LAANC is current? This seems to operate a lot like liability insurance by the hour. You sign up for your time slot and go for it. Am I correct?

Yes, you need to use the LAANC system to get a waiver. You must say when and why you are flying, and it issues you a time stamped waiver.
I believe you must have an iphone for that to work.

Slight technicality, LAANC provides airspace “authorizations” not “waivers.”

There are airspace waivers but they are a very different thing and you can’t get one through LAANC. A waiver is a permission to ignore a rule usually for an extended period of time, such as the rule that you need authorization to fly in controlled airspace. With waiver in hand you don’t need to get an authorization each time you fly in controlled airspace. Note only part 107 pilots can get waivers. An airspace authorization is a one time permission to fly in controlled airspace at a certain location at a certain time for a limited duration.

I’m not trying to get all technical on ya we all know what you mean, just wanted to share that for the record. I’ll get off my box now

The airport may be the least of your worries. Check with the authorities at the State Capitol Building itself. Most are classified as restricted or considered State Landmarks and drone use is prohibited. You'll get a faster, more un-friendly punitive response from Capitol security than you would from the FAA.

Reactions: TontoFAC
I've cleared it with Capitol security, so no sweat there. They did remind me of the airspace auth though, so that's where we're at.

To conclude then (and thanks for the responses!): I'm going to open Kittyhawk on my phone, enter the time and date for the LAANC, and get the waiver then and there for that specific timeframe. So, going in, gotta have all that info ready, cleared with Capitol security, and then get the job done.

Thanks again!

Authorization, not waiver. If you're not exceeding height restrictions for the grid square(s) you're flying in, there's no need to get a waiver (which you need to go through DroneZone to get), just get authorization through LAANC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost