DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Help Needed

adiwan

Reactions
Hey Ya'll,
I am a newbie FAA certified drone pilot.
I want to shoot the roof of bldg located at 4929 Home Rd NW, Winston-Salem, NC 27106
It lies within Class D controlled airspace.
I tried getting authorization thru the AirMap app - It displays the error Airspace authorization is either not available or not applicable to this flight.

I can fly below 200ft. Just need quick shots of the roof. I tried the Kitty Hawk app but it keeps crashing on my Pixel 3. Skyware requires selecting a plan with them.

I got authorization using AirMap for a similar airspace scenario at a location in Greensboro. Any ideas how to get authorization at this location? Am I missing something here?
Any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

Attachments

• 7371df6f-5e28-4162-881a-359c19fc9627.jpg
    7371df6f-5e28-4162-881a-359c19fc9627.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Slade
Hey Ya'll,
I want to shoot the roof of bldg located at 4929 Home Rd NW, Winston-Salem, NC 27106
I tried getting authorization thru the AirMap app - It displays the error Airspace authorization is either not available or not applicable to this flight.

I can fly below 200ft. Just need quick shots of the roof. I tried the Kitty Hawk app but it keeps crashing on my Pixel 3. Skyware requires selecting a plan with them.

I got authorization using AirMap for a similar airspace scenario at a location in Greensboro. Any ideas how to get authorization at this location? Am I missing something here?
LAANC is not yet available for Winston-Salem Class D. You’ll need to submit a waiver request to the FAA directly through their website

Have you reviewed the FAA Facility Maps (some call them the Altitude Grid) for the area in question?

Reactions: adiwan
LAANC is not yet available for Winston-Salem Class D. You’ll need to submit a waiver request to the FAA directly through their website

There ya go!!! BINGO!!

And that is going to take forever right? No hopes of flying next week then?

I've had DroneZone authorizations approved within 24 hours in the past. I've heard they might be more backed up now, but you should submit your request anyway and you might get lucky.

Reactions: adiwan
I checked it out.
Its got Class D Airspace and a Facility Map with a ceiling of 200feet. Does this mean I can fly below 200ft?

The 200 feet just means that the FAA has already determined that 200 feet is the normal maximum altitude that you can seek approval for. (Part 107 pilots can request higher, often up to 400 feet, but that requires additional information to justify the safety of the operation)

Regardless, you still need either a LAANC authorization (which isn't available at that airport yet), or a DroneZone Airspace Authorization to fly there.

Reactions: Gindra and adiwan
The 200 feet just means that the FAA has already determined that 200 feet is the normal maximum altitude that you can seek approval for. (Part 107 pilots can request higher, often up to 400 feet, but that requires additional information to justify the safety of the operation)

Regardless, you still need either a LAANC authorization (which isn't available at that airport yet), or a DroneZone Airspace Authorization to fly there.
Appreciate the response. I did the DroneZone application. Fingers Crossed. I appreciate your reply here. Helps a lot!

Appreciate the response. I did the DroneZone application. Fingers Crossed. I appreciate your reply here. Helps a lot!

Good luck. One more tip that I can recommend for the future is to apply for "blanket" authorizations for each nearby airspace area that you might want to fly in (that isn't part of LAANC). You can request authorizations that are good for up to 1 or 2 years, for the entire airspace area, up to the published facility map altitudes. This way if you need to fly there in the future, you'll already have the authorizations ready to go.

Good luck. One more tip that I can recommend for the future is to apply for "blanket" authorizations for each nearby airspace area that you might want to fly in (that isn't part of LAANC). You can request authorizations that are good for up to 1 or 2 years, for the entire airspace area, up to the published facility map altitudes. This way if you need to fly there in the future, you'll already have the authorizations ready to go.
10/4 will do!

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hey Ya'll,

Try Kittyhawk. It’s more informative than AirMap. Good luck.

For good news for those looking to apply for dronzone waiver, I submitted an application for recreational flying through Dronzone in Class B airspace below the designated ceiling yesterday, 10/31 at 4:05 PM Eastern Time. It was approved today, Friday, 11/1 at 11:15 AM. Just over 19 hours. Well done FAA!

Last edited:
It is also possible to get extended waiver clearance. I got one for my practice area, which has two NFZs in parts of it, that lasts 2 years.
0591C25E-B0DC-4B9E-B685-74460C8FB2ED.jpeg

QUICK UPDATE -
My DroneZone Airspace Authorization was approved within 48 hours. I flew yesterday and shot the roof. Impressed with FAA!

I want to thank you all for your input and help.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugsoft