DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC - here we go

pmshop

Reactions
Airmap and Kittyhawk not ready for prime time.
No new app for Airmap including hobbyist LAANC.
And Kittyhawk lets you select on the map where you are flying - then acknowledge the airspace to press "get authorization"
But guess what?

Last edited:
I just discovered this and came looking here myself. Amazing, private industry not ready to handle new government policy. Well hopefully sometime today. Any other way to submit requests for authorization?

Any other way to submit requests for authorization?

Negative. LAANC (regardless when it's turned on) is the only approval process for recreational flights in Controlled Airspace NOT at a pre-approved flying site.

Airmap and Kittyhawk not ready for prime time.
No new app for Airmap including hobbyist LAANC.
And Kittyhawk lets you select on the map where you are flying - then acknowledge the airspace to press "get authorization"
But guess what?
View attachment 78097
Howdy. Appreciate your enthusiasm. FAA systems are not quite live. Should be later this morning. Kittyhawk will be the first to let you create recreational LAANC requests so stand by and fly safe. /Jon

Reactions: pmshop
Negative. LAANC (regardless when it's turned on) is the only approval process for recreational flights in Controlled Airspace NOT at a pre-approved flying site.

FAA mentioned in one of the webanars on the 1st if LAANC is down you can use UAS Data Exchange - but that is not live yet.

FAA mentioned in one of the webanars on the 1st if LAANC is down you can use UAS Data Exchange - but that is not live yet.
USDE is the entity that LAANC is under. USDE itself will be active once LAANC is turned on because LAANC is part of the USDE.

Will there be other alternatives to LAANC in the future under the USDE umbrella? Maybe... maybe not.... but USDE is the Mother Ship for LAANC not another option for LAANC.

Reactions: Kittyhawk
USDE is the entity that LAANC is under. USDE itself will be active once LAANC is turned on because LAANC is part of the USDE.

Will there be other alternatives to LAANC in the future under the USDE umbrella? Maybe... maybe not.... but USDE is the Mother Ship for LAANC not another option for LAANC.

USDE?

AcronymDefinition
USDEUnited States Department of Education
USDEUnitary Status Dollar eCoin(cryptocurrency)
USDEUnit of Sustainable Development andEnvironment (Organization of AmericanStates)
USDEUndesired Signal Data Emanations
USDEUnit for Social Development and Education(Organization of American States)

USDE?

AcronymDefinition
USDEUnited States Department of Education
USDEUnitary Status Dollar eCoin(cryptocurrency)
USDEUnit of Sustainable Development andEnvironment (Organization of AmericanStates)
USDEUndesired Signal Data Emanations
USDEUnit for Social Development and Education(Organization of American States)
It's spelled out in the post he was responding to, directly above his. It's even quoted in his post:

I received an update to AirMap on Android this morning that specifically mentions support for Recreational LAANC.

Reactions: Lbesing and Drgnfli
It's spelled out in the post he was responding to, directly above his. It's even quoted in his post:

View attachment 78110
Thanks. Guess I scanned the posts too quickly.

The FAA UAS Data Exchange is an innovative, collaborative approach between government and private industry facilitating the sharing of airspace data between the two parties.

Under the FAA UAS Data Exchange umbrella, the agency will support multiple partnerships, the first of which is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC).

I'm a Part 107 user that has used Airmap extensively in the past, and whatever they did seems to have completely broken Airmap for me today. Figures, since I just got a list of about 15 drone flights that I need to get authorizations for soon. :-/ I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.

Reactions: Filipok and Drgnfli
I'm a Part 107 user that has used Airmap extensively in the past, and whatever they did seems to have completely broken Airmap for me today. Figures, since I just got a list of about 15 drone flights that I need to get authorizations for soon. :-/ I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.

If you need an alternative and can't wait for AirMap to fix their issue, KittyHawk seems to be working today.

Reactions: Filipok
I see the post about Kittyhawk but after updating and attempting to request approval I am prompted for Part 107 info. Anyone else having this issue in Android?

I see the post about Kittyhawk but after updating and attempting to request approval I am prompted for Part 107 info. Anyone else having this issue in Android?

Make sure you really downloaded the latest update. If you are running it and click Get Authorization, you should see this screen:

If you need an alternative and can't wait for AirMap to fix their issue, KittyHawk seems to be working today.
Thanks, I just downloaded and tried KittyHawk for the first time. Seemed to work fine for me (Part 107). The only annoying part... it is not letting me change the size of the flight area once I drop a pin. Oh well.. it works for now. Thank you!

I received an update to AirMap on Android this morning that specifically mentions support for Recreational LAANC.

Yep! But when I tried to run the new version, it did nothing. Before the update, Airmap would process thru questions asking drone weight, length of flight, insurance, etc. Now it seems to "get stuck" on the 'Next' button & goes nowhere...??? It also "forgot" my Email & password from the earlier edition & I had to ask for a new PW...? ? ?

• Sad
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt