DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC - here we go

I reached out to AirMap tech support. They're aware of the problem and working on it.

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for reaching out to AirMap detailing the issue you encountered.

We have been able to confirm that advisories are experiencing an issue and we are diligently working towards restoring services.

We greatly appreciate your patience while we continue to resolve this occurrence. We will be in close communication to update you as soon as possible.

Always feel free to visit the AirMap status.airmap.com page for the latest up to date information.

Has anyone (that are recreational flyers) actually been approved, that we can confirm?
Does anybody know if LAANC up and running for rec. pilots at this airport or this area?
Marietta, Ga. 30064 - "red squares"Map.jpg

Tried Airmap. So, if I want to fly further than 5 miles (about 6 miles) from Salt Lake City airport (in Taylorsville, UT), the FAA's LAANC won't allow me to fly even at 10 feet. DJI shows this area to be with in the grey "bow tie" area and limits my flight to (about 200').

So before I could fly here just fine even without a call to the airport as it was further than 5 miles from the Salt Lake City Airport but now I cannot fly because of LAANC. However, I don't find any legal reason I should not be able to fly there (or even need to ask LAANC for permission).

What am I missing?

Edit: I found what was happening. I did not zoom in enough but looking more closely at the FAA's site, I put my radius a few boxes in and hit a "0" altitude square. Other nearby squares were marked at 250'.

So if anyone thinks LAANC is less restrictive, you are wrong. The no fly areas are _much_ larger then 5 miles from an airport and even limited in altitude miles further than that.

Last edited:
So what am I doing wrong? I cannot get either AirMap or Kittyhawk to load to my smart controller. I have them on my phones and iPad mini but the SC won't show up as a device???

Does anybody know if LAANC up and running for rec. pilots at this airport or this area?
Marietta, Ga. 30064 - "red squares"View attachment 78140

No it is not. Both the red squares and a "0" next to LAANC Readiness indicate that LAANC isn't available there. It's a military airport, so that isn't surprising.

I submitted a flight plan yesterday via Airmap to fly in restricted airspace for today. Recreational. Got a quick response and authorization. 100 foot height restriction in downtown Boston. The system has a few quirks but the new LAANC approval system is a huge step forward.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Filipok
You still have to unlock the drone on the DJI app and put in your phone number. It's buggy and doesn't always work smoothly. I got it to work, but my flying buddy had issues where he couldn't get it to work.

Reactions: dawgpilot
USDE is the entity that LAANC is under. USDE itself will be active once LAANC is turned on because LAANC is part of the USDE.

Will there be other alternatives to LAANC in the future under the USDE umbrella? Maybe... maybe not.... but USDE is the Mother Ship for LAANC not another option for LAANC.

Sorry, Misquoted FAA Webinar...

Question at 16:50

You go to FAA Drone Zone to apply for airspace authorization that does not have LAANC or when LAANC is down.
But again, Drone Zone is not live for such requests.
There is an additional link back to Drone Zone from the LAANC page - under "where can I fly":
As you can see, even that LAANC page is not updated to show support for hobbyists.

Marietta, Ga. 30064 - "red squares"View attachment 78140

If the mass of the grid squares are red, LAANC is not available yet but will be added soon.
If the mass of the grid squares are green, LAANC is available.
You are in an area that is unavailable.

Last edited:
Howdy. Appreciate your enthusiasm. FAA systems are not quite live. Should be later this morning. Kittyhawk will be the first to let you create recreational LAANC requests so stand by and fly safe. /Jon
I

I loaded Kittyhawk app and had all kinds of wierd faults when trying to link my MA. Mutiple compass errors, magnetic errors, even indication my launch pad was tilted. No luck with normal methods of resolution so I deleted Kittyhawk and that resolved all my problems. It will be a while before I try Kittyhawk again ...
MA/Kittyhawk problems....

On July 24th, after updating AirMap, I was able to get permission to fly within 3 miles of San Antonio International Airport. I only asked for 250 feet max altitude and an area a couple of city blocks total. Got this text reply very quickly, within a minute or less.Screenshot_20190725-000059_Messages.jpeg

Reactions: Drgnfli and pmshop
On July 24th, after updating AirMap, I was able to get permission to fly within 3 miles of San Antonio International Airport. I only asked for 250 feet max altitude and an area a couple of city blocks total. Got this text reply very quickly, within a minute or less.View attachment 78444

Yep! I've gotten one reply like that but the rest were different. The "timer" @ the bottom of the Airmap app started counting up.

Reactions: Lbesing
Airmap and Kittyhawk not ready for prime time.
And as of this writing, for me at least, still not.

Last week when this was first announced I tried to get Recreational approval for a test flight at the outside most grid of my nearby airport... and the one my driveway is in. I had no joy with the version of Airmap on my phone so I uninstalled it and got a fresh version. This time I got all the way thru the process of making a submittal and getting a confirmation code. Then crickets. Nothing after that other than a spinning onscreen icon.

Okay... it's new. Wait a few days.

Today after seeing this post on the Forum I thought I'd give it another go. This time I got all the way thru to the end but received an immediate response that my request (again Recreational... same location) was rejected before submittal. The reason: I am not a registered 107 pilot. Seemed strange... maybe something else is going on.

So I checked the FAA website to confirm whether my airport (KOA) is on the list of participating LAANC airport. Yes, it is. Something else must be going on.

I also tried another airport "nearby" with similar parameters, i.e., test flight, 100' AGL, w/i outside 400' grid, Recreational. Again: Rejected before submittal because pilot must be 107. This airport also (ITO) is currently listed on the FAA website as participating in the LAANC program.

Clearly what someone has posted here previously about the Data Exchange not being in sync w/ Airmap or Kittyhawk must be in play here because for me at least the system isn't ready for prime time quite yet.

• Wow
Reactions: pmshop
And as of this writing, for me at least, still not.

Last week when this was first announced I tried to get Recreational approval for a test flight at the outside most grid of my nearby airport... and the one my driveway is in. I had no joy with the version of Airmap on my phone so I uninstalled it and got a fresh version. This time I got all the way thru the process of making a submittal and getting a confirmation code. Then crickets. Nothing after that other than a spinning onscreen icon.

Okay... it's new. Wait a few days.

Today after seeing this post on the Forum I thought I'd give it another go. This time I got all the way thru to the end but received an immediate response that my request (again Recreational... same location) was rejected before submittal. The reason: I am not a registered 107 pilot. Seemed strange... maybe something else is going on.

So I checked the FAA website to confirm whether my airport (KOA) is on the list of participating LAANC airport. Yes, it is. Something else must be going on.

I also tried another airport "nearby" with similar parameters, i.e., test flight, 100' AGL, w/i outside 400' grid, Recreational. Again: Rejected before submittal because pilot must be 107. This airport also (ITO) is currently listed on the FAA website as participating in the LAANC program.

Clearly what someone has posted here previously about the Data Exchange not being in sync w/ Airmap or Kittyhawk must be in play here because for me at least the system isn't ready for prime time quite yet.

I know it is simple but do you have recreational selected?
I did a future flight no problems...and I am in Texas :D
20190730_114542000_iOS.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure