DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Recreational vs. LAANC Commercial

Drone on

Reactions
Hello,

Anyone know if there will be a difference between the authorization level of these two?

If no difference, why bother with the Part 107 exam, and/or recurrent exam?

I am certified, but only took the test to have access to LAANC. To meet the commercial requirement, I upload video for sale on the web, and have by some small miracle actually sold two. It's a lot of work for tiny money, but worth it for LAANC.

I'm due to take the recurrent in about six months, but if there's no difference I'll keep the exam cost money.

I haven't seen it confirmed but there is no reason why the authorizations should differ.

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial requirement" - there is no such requirement to fly under Part 107. The difference between Part 107 and recreational is in just the operating rules, so if you only want to fly recreationally, don't require any of the rules to be waivable, and don't need anything beyond LAANC authorizations, then Part 107 probably doesn't buy you anything useful.

Hello,

Anyone know if there will be a difference between the authorization level of these two?

I am certified, but only took the test to have access to LAANC. To meet the commercial requirement, I upload video for sale on the web, and have by some small miracle actually sold two. It's a lot of work for tiny money, but worth it for LAANC.

I'm due to take the recurrent in about six months, but if there's no difference I'll keep the exam cost money.

I think you've missed the point..... you get Part 107 if you want to have a "Commercial" (technically any non-Hobby) sUAS flight. You aren't required to "Do Commerce" or anything just because you have Part 107. You could have your Part 107 and fly 100% of the time under Hobby Rules only.

But in answer to your question no one (but the FAA) knows for sure what, if any, differences there will be for LAANC in reference to Hobby vs P107.

Reactions: Aerophile and Slade
I think you've missed the point..... you get Part 107 if you want to have a "Commercial" (technically any non-Hobby) sUAS flight. You aren't required to "Do Commerce" or anything just because you have Part 107. You could have your Part 107 and fly 100% of the time under Hobby Rules only.

But in answer to your question no one (but the FAA) knows for sure what, if any, differences there will be for LAANC in reference to Hobby vs P107.
I guess Recreational Pilots like myself will find out on July 23, 2019. I’m looking forward to using LAANC. I use Air Map a lot and recently wrote them about using LAANC. Regrettably, I received a “canned” reply that was useless, i.e., “ FAA has announced LAANC will be available July 23, 2019.” Apparently Air Map doesn’t know how “fun” pilots will access LAANC via their own system.

Yes
I haven't seen it confirmed but there is no reason why the authorizations should differ.

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial requirement" - there is no such requirement to fly under Part 107. The difference between Part 107 and recreational is in just the operating rules, so if you only want to fly recreationally, don't require any of the rules to be waivable, and don't need anything beyond LAANC authorizations, then Part 107 probably doesn't buy you anything useful.
LAANC was the point in my getting the 107. I thought that flying under 107 was only for commercial flights

Reactions: BigAl07
LAANC was the point in my getting the 107. I thought that flying under 107 was only for commercial flights

No - Part 107 covers all civil sUAS operations. That includes recreational and non-recreational. Section 336, now Section 349 is simply an exemption from the Part 107 requirements that you can choose to take for purely recreational flights.

I guess Recreational Pilots like myself will find out on July 23, 2019. I’m looking forward to using LAANC. I use Air Map a lot and recently wrote them about using LAANC. Regrettably, I received a “canned” reply that was useless, i.e., “ FAA has announced LAANC will be available July 23, 2019.” Apparently Air Map doesn’t know how “fun” pilots will access LAANC via their own system.
Your right. I got it backward.
You have to have 107 to conduct a commercial flight, but you don't have to conduct a commercial flight if you are flying under 107
For some reason, I have had it firmly in my mind that if I were to access LAANC via 107, that I must fly commercially, and so I upload the video for sale.
This mistake has been good for me. With a focus on sales, the mistake has really honed my focus, no pun intended.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Hello,

You don’t get charged for a recurrent exam and it’s easy as pie

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan