DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing in RTH

looopson

Reactions
Does the drone always land itself to the ground in RTH mode? Or does it just hover at the designated RTH altitude (i.e. 30m) and you manually land it? I am seeing a lot of different threads about RTH and I'm confused. I have not tried it yet but I don't want to be in for any surprises when I do! Thanks!

If you have the "Visual Navigation Settings" --> "Landing Protection" setting enabled in DJI GO, it'll land if it decides the landing location is safe. If that setting is disabled or the location is deemed not safe, the Mavic will hover when it's close to the ground and wait for you to confirm the landing.

Reactions: looopson
If you have the "Visual Navigation Settings" --> "Landing Protection" setting enabled in DJI GO, it'll land if it decides the landing location is safe. If that setting is disabled or the location is deemed not safe, the Mavic will hover and wait for you to confirm the landing.

Thanks! Do you personally leave it on or off? I would imagine just turning it on and leave it that way....

I usually keep it enabled unless I know I'm going to hand catch or notice the VPS altitude is displaying false values in DJI GO. The latter can sometimes happen when flying over water.

Thanks.

I would think that the downward sensors would detect water and hover over it, prompting you to land it? I read in the manual that it will try and find terrain similar to your home point.

Someone told me that he always hand catches it too. I thought that would be kind of sketchy and I could get my hand cut. Is it safe?

I would think that the downward sensors would detect water and hover over it, prompting you to land it?
The sensors are not perfect. I wouldn't rely on them to stop the Mavic over water.

I read in the manual that it will try and find terrain similar to your home point.
That's referring to the Precision Landing feature.

Someone told me that he always hand catches it too. I thought that would be kind of sketchy and I could get my hand cut. Is it safe?
It's not the safest thing to do. Depending on where you fly, it's sometimes the only option. I try to plan ahead and land on the ground whenever possible.

I only hand catch mine if I have my landing leg extensions on, the rear one makes a good handle, otherwise your hands do get way closer to the blades. I 3D printed the extensions from Thingiverse here: Mavic Legs Mk2 by jvouillon

Last edited:
When I use Precision Landing I put a mark on the ground and it will land EXACTLY where it took off . It's cool to see it come down and make a final adjustment or two to hit that spot .

Reactions: Bob Royall

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones