20190114_212737.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190114_213615.jpg
    20190114_213615.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 7
Im thinking a landing pad with the printed H on it helps with RTH if you take off from pad go up 7 feet or so, pause to let MA2 set RTH, and then fly. Any opinions on this idea?
it does not matter....I have been using this pad for the last three years.

I like my Combo bag for takeoff..Initialize the gimbal first before setting the drone on the bag. I personally like to hand catch..mainly because I'm too lazy to bend over to pick it up.launch combo bag.JPG

Reactions: MA2 317
I use my hand or my case.

It's always there and don't have to pack anything extra.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I have found that in my 10 flights from the driveway, and 5 from the yard, it seems as if the RTH function works "slightly" better from the yard. Not sure if the "rebar" in the driveway makes a difference but from my limited tests it "MAY' do so.

As far as launching from a truck bed.

I haven't tried that but I would "think" that the metal would screw with the compass.

Either way whatever works is great!

I've never had to use the spikes that came with my landing pad. The pad is 48" in circumference and weighs enough on its own. My rule of thumb is; if it's windy enough to blow my pad away, it's too windy to fly my MA2.

I've tried a flat piece of cardboard and a rubber backed door mat for my P3 and they both were affected by downdraft if not for winds.

So I gave up and bought a circular folding landing pad when I bought my M2 and haven't looked back.
Considering its weight, the aluminum rim seems to provide some aerodynamics that keeps it on the ground. I hardly ever have to stake it down.

Sometimes you spend more time, money and energy for a DYI solution than to pay for an existing solution.

I got this one from Amazon for my Mavic Air 2 for $13 (US). I really like it - 31.5" size and fits in an 11" case. Waterproof, double sided and comes with four spikes. I also like the compass directional indicators - although that's not of any real value for flying, just looks cool. The MA2 fits inside the hexagon, which gives a nice buffer zone to the edge. Key tip when using the spikes, make sure they don't stick above the edge of the pad - best to drive them into the ground at 45+ deg angle. I almost clipped one with the rear prop spinning when my MA2 slide backwards on landing - the pad was on a slight slop/depression that wasn't apparent until the drone's weight tilted the pad a bit.

Last edited:
I made one out of a piece of the thin cement board you can pick up at Lowes. Made it 4' x 4' then used a large piece of carboard to cut a 4' diameter circle out of it. That was my circle template that I spray painted a neon orange circle on the cement board. I then took the circle that I cut out and cut an "H" out of it in the middle. After the paint was dry the next day I laid the "H" template over the circle so it aligned up and spay painted the "H" (I used green cause I had extra). Works perfect for a nice hard landing/taking off surface. Works great out in fields with tall grass and you can see it easily in your orthophoto maps if you need to use it as a point of reference! I have left it in the back of my truck all year, rained on and what not and it holds up strong! I was gonna first use plywood but did not think that would hold up to the rigors of the elements just leaving it in my truck.

If you buy the pad that comes with the carry case that the hold downs that Mr. Kent made will fit in the bag with it. Never have to put the spikes in again. Plus you will not have to worry about it staying in the sand or placing it on a rocky surface.
Call me Frugal, I use my rear floor mat, seems to be right size 12” by 15“, and it’s easy to carry. I do like the previously mentioned idea of using the lid off of a Lowe’s bucket. ?➰?

Reactions: MA2 317
I do like the previously mentioned idea of using the lid off of a Lowe’s bucket. ?➰?

Here's mine from my Spark Bucket of fun.

20180728_195052.jpg

20180728_201905.jpg

I toyed with the lighter round material landing pad.
I didn't like that its light enough that a slight breeze would flip it over or move it. Especially if I am landing on a hard surface like a road and i can not secure down. I don't like any form of dust getting in my drone so even landing on roads makes we want to use a landing pad.

So I found a really good pad which is heavy enough so that wind doesn't move it, and its small enough to carry around.

If the link doesn't work. Search EBAY for PGY Tech drone landing pad
I can vouch for the quality and the ease of cleaning it when required.

It's a nice solid feel too.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case