DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing target

Sprocket

Reactions
How does my drone determine and remember the exact spot to return to when I tell it to go home? Does it take a pic and look for what was in the exact center of the pixels? Is it GPS. Or is it just a lucky guess everytime?:D
I use an anti-skid rubber bathtub mat that I cut in half for a landing pad. I painted a red circle with a short line in from the outside toward the center. I can clean the mat if it gets dirty, roll it up secured with a strip of velcro, and carry it quite nicely. My thought being the drone would have a unique and clear set of pixels to use for accurate RTH. Thanks

You can 'request' that the AC does a 'precision landing' takeoff, whereby in this 'auto' mode it will take off and rise to about 16 ft and yeah, take a photo, take an extra look at where it has to come back to so to speak?!
You are right, the 'landing pad' needs to be of sufficient contrasting difference to the surrounding ground.

It uses GPS to get home, as long as it properly recorded its home point at takeoff. If Precision Landing is enabled, it will use that to get as close as possible to its home point, while it's descending. Without precision landing enabled, it still gets pretty darn close to its home point.

One thing to be very aware of is that with a normal takeoff, the aircraft will hover at about 1m. if a precision takeoff is specified then it will be at about 7m which is >23ft. Not usually a problem.... unless you are flying in woodland, or indoors!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan