DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAPD Using dji drones.

I would say after watching the clip they need some practice :rolleyes:

Yes, they need practice. Sounds like a long uphill battle in a City that is plagued by political and adversarial battles. The ignorance and resistance to this technology is part of the overall resistance to law enforcement in Los Angeles.

Use of drones in law enforcement probably in the case of LAPD shouldn't have been first with the SWAT Team although I understand it - the SWAT Team is often the place that is seen as the first tier and most important section. Better might have been to showcase it to find a lost child, save time mapping an intersection and opening up clogged streets with 3D mapping or over an event to help Officers move traffic/pedestrians in a better manner.

Law enforcement in general - and in places like LAPD, Seattle, Portland where the police are harshly criticized for every single thing they do and are viewed through a jaundiced eye - would be best served, in my opinion, with the initial use of drones in situations like the above although the rush to use them tactically can be understood.

Intense public/community relations - using drones in fairly innocuous community or peace keeping situations and not exclusively in SWAT situations would be a good balance.

Is it a step in the right direction? Yes. Will it be difficult to gain/keep the trust of the public? Yes. Is it worth it as the mission of the public safety drone to take these steps and stay with the mission? Definitely.

My first paid drone job was traffic surveillance for the local PD. I have more coming up regarding crowd monitoring during events. It's a great tool for the PD to take advantage of and quality is not the main concern, stealth is so the MP line works really well and so does the spark. Plus the M2Z can zoom in on those crazy people.

What terrible drone control by the pilot. Why didn't they fly into the apartment through the broken glass? :) . One question though. According to the way the title of the article was written, this was a "controversial drone." I have never seen a "controversial drone." Wasn't it the use of the drone that was controversial and not the drone itself? (I am a stickler for proper sentence structure.)

What terrible drone control by the pilot. Why didn't they fly into the apartment through the broken glass? :) . One question though. According to the way the title of the article was written, this was a "controversial drone." I have never seen a "controversial drone." Wasn't it the use of the drone that was controversial and not the drone itself? (I am a stickler for proper sentence structure.)

I can't comment for the author - acknowledging that often newspaper headlines are written in questionable manners and often just to grab attention but the controversy (yes, even of a Spark) comes from the public's perception. Interesting aside - Seattle PD had drones and was going to deploy them in a quite innocuous manner but was forced by a vocal and ignorant public to give them away because of stoked fears of "Big Brother" and other such nonsense.

Seattle grounds police drone program

Seattle mayor ends police drone efforts

Oh - and interesting (fascinating) piece of trivia.....where did those drones turn up????

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9akkv7/lapd-seattle-surveillance-drones

It takes a great effort to put together a drone program for law enforcement generally, but I think there are places where it is more difficult than others and I think some of those places have more vocal critics of law enforcement/general mistrust of the police even to the extent that it is believed that even if the drone program is assured to be used only in certain non-tactical/surveillance ways it is seen as a way for the police to lie just to get to a place to use them in evil ways.

This isn't meant to be a history lesson or lecture but it might provide an interesting perspective.

Last edited:
Most if not all LEO's do not have the skills to fly UAV's. Why, because they do not have the flight hours to perfect flying.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
i will agree the expertise of the pilot was sorely lacking however give them time and I am sure they will catch on as everyone else had to do. This may be a good thing casting a positive use on drones vs the fake airport call ins and anti drone cloud these false accusations provide..

Most if not all LEO's do not have the skills to fly UAV's. Why, because they do not have the flight hours to perfect flying.
Now that is painting with a broad brush. How many LEO's (including me) in the US do you think own and fly drones? Now how many do you think might be the drone pilot for their PD? And considering the price of some drones, how many do you think might have gone through some in-depth, professional training before their PD allowed them to fly off with the expensive piece of technology?

Any tool that protects the officers, and innocent citizens lives is a good thing in my book. Flying skill were not good but got the job done. It makes me wonder why the pilot didn't stay AT THE WINDOW as the officers entered, to act as their cover. Kudo's to them and hope they expand their drone program.

Any tool that protects the officers, and innocent citizens lives is a good thing in my book. Flying skill were not good but got the job done. It makes me wonder why the pilot didn't stay AT THE WINDOW as the officers entered, to act as their cover. Kudo's to them and hope they expand their drone program.

like any other tool you gotta train on it.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and NetDep

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive