DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laptop for video editing (Adobe premiere)

Aeroworks

Reactions
I need something to edit 4k footage from the Mavic. My concern is horsepower. I plan on buying a laptop and not sure what I can get away with. Ideally I want a thinner style like an HP x360 but with Intel onboard graphics I doubt it will be able to do well-nigh to footage.

I have also had my eye on a HP envy with the Nvidia 940mx dedicated graphics chip which should help but not sure if that's enough. Anyone here have some personal experience with this? I don't plan on making feature length movies or anything. Just 5-10 minute clips.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Price point?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't look past my 2015 MacBook Pro i7 with 32Gb Ram. I use 2 x 4K Dell monitors with it and a 4 terabyte external drive. It's an absolute dream. I use FinalCut though but imagine it will be similar performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Be aware Adobe premier is a much bigger beast than final cut...

Ideally a desktop would be best, especially for the future when parts need upgrading/switching. If you must go with a laptop, MacBook pro's are a sure bet. If you prefer PC's, try this out for size.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B018AX3OHO/nofilmschool-20

Video card may be a little on the weak side, but should edit ok.
I'm working on a desktop build right now that will have an Nvidia GTX 1070 with an Intel i7 6700-k. 4K editing should be pretty smooth and fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi,

its possible to edit on a mac book pro 13" in premiere using ingest and create proxy footage, thats what i have been doing, i like the form factor and portability of this size and it runs autocad for my day job pretty well too.

if i was doing it professionally then mac book pro 15" has dedicated graphics card so is better.

or windows laptops from this range are great in 13" / 15" form factor and with nvidia gtx 1060 cards
Alienware 13 Gaming Laptop | Dell UK

or windows laptop but mac like with gtx1060
The New Razer Blade - Gaming Laptop in Full HD Matte & QHD+

or top of the range mac like with nvidia gtx 1080 graphics cards
The New Razer Blade Pro

hope that helps.

pete.

Last edited:
As already pointed out, best bet is desktop quad core CPU i7 at least 16gb, ssd storage. Dedicated GPU a must in my opinion. Laptop the same, I binned off macbook pro 13" as sluggish. Ended up with DELL XPS 15" 4K 32GB GTX960 M2 SSD with S1 SSD external as scratch disk.... Pricey. Workhorse is iMac i7 ... Use both Adobe cc suite final cut and motion.

Be aware Adobe premier is a much bigger beast than final cut...

Used Adobe Premier for a few videos, it's no better than FCP, but each to their own.

If I could pick I'd be using a Mac Pro, now that's a beast!! But a 5K iMac will probably be my next purchase so looking forward to that.

My issue is budget. $900 would be the ceiling for the laptop. I am considering just building a desktop myself to get the best bang for the buck but the need for a portable laptop takes precedence. I really do the want to consider a MacBook for a slew of reasons.

I'm using Samsung notebook 9 Pro, it has the i7 and a 4K screen. I use AP with no problem.

That is very helpful. Your Samsung shares basically the same specs (including GPU) as the models I have been looking at. Any stuttering or sluggishness? I understand that encoding can take forever, which is fine. Just want to avoid stuttering which would make it frustrating.

That is very helpful. Your Samsung shares basically the same specs (including GPU) as the models I have been looking at. Any stuttering or sluggishness? I understand that encoding can take forever, which is fine. Just want to avoid stuttering which would make it frustrating.

Honestly, I've only played with 4K editing.
I mainly edit in 1080p or 2k, which it handles just fine. I think having its own dedicated GPU helps a bit. The main down side of having a 4K monitor is nearly every app has to be up sized to fit. Adobe photoshop and premiere interface looks like a** on a 4K screen. If you really don't have a budget, look into the Dell XPS. [emoji106]

Edit:
Just seen your other post. With a $900 budget, you'll be better off building a desktop. You should have no problem getting the parts needed to handle any type of editing.

@Aeroworks , being the head of an IT department I'm often asked the question from other employees of what's the best laptop to buy, especially around the holidays. I then ask what functions will be performed on it (i.e. general MS Office, Surfing the net, CAD, etc.). My second question to them is, "what is your budget?". Simply put, anyone that looking to perform any resource intensive tasks (CAD, Video Editing, SAP/ERP) on laptop should expect to spend $1,500+. The price even goes higher if the buyer is look for something compact. My current laptop is a Microsoft Surface Book i7, 16gb RAM & NVIDIA GeForce dGPU, price was $2,600.

Well, pulled the trigger and got a laptop. Video editing was in the top priorities but I dont make money doing it. I think what I picked will be workable. No powerhouse that's for sure. I needed something portable first. I'll save up for a desktop build for sure. Thanks to all of your input.

Bought an HP Envy 17t
I7-7500u 2.7ghz
Nvidia GeForce 940mx
16 GB DDR ram
512gb ssd and 1tb hdd
17.3" IPS FHD touch screen
Win 10 pro
$950 from HP.com. Supposedly $550 off for new years.

Configure

My dad has a lower spec model of the envy and the build quality was impressive. Very serviceable too if I need to replace or upgrade something.

Last edited:
Used Adobe Premier for a few videos, it's no better than FCP, but each to their own.

Agree. I've used both Premiere and FCP on macs over the years and they're both equally capable NLE software. Only real reason to choose Premiere over FCP is if your editing workflow involves multiple users that require cross-platform sharing between mac and windows machines or if your work requires the use of CinemaDNG raw files (FCP will require you to add the step of converting the CinemaDNG files to a ProRes 444). If you're a mac user with the latest amd greatest mac hardware, it's actually a no-brainer to go with FCPX over Premiere for the simple fact that FCPX takes full advantage of the current mac hardware and GPU whilst Adobe does not on macs as of the latest version. This means a significant performance advantage in terms of rendering speed and overall "snappiness" of the software which adds up over a long edit session. As a result, I've found I often get a lot more things done on FCPX over Premiere in the same amount of time when using a mac.

I use a maxed-out '16 MBP 2tb with Radeon Pro 460 and an external LaCie Bolt 3 SSD 2TB. I've actually found editing/rendering on the MBP to be faster than on a 5k iMac because its internal SSD is so much faster and because the external LaCie SSD is thunderbolt 3 with Raid 0, it's virtually just as fast as the internal SSD! iMac 5K's thunderbolt 2 is noticeably slower by comparison. Scratch drive speed is what it's all about when it comes to power-NLE use. I almost never have to wait on renders when editing.

Just an update on this.

Adobe premier and video export g works great on this house envy 17t with 16gigs of ram and the Nvidia GPu. Only gripe I have is I need to set the preview window to half resolution. And when doing some edits, Ike 300% playback speed. It lags out the video. Other than that it is very workable so far.

Reactions: how22
As already pointed out, best bet is desktop quad core CPU i7 at least 16gb, ssd storage. Dedicated GPU a must in my opinion. Laptop the same, I binned off macbook pro 13" as sluggish. Ended up with DELL XPS 15" 4K 32GB GTX960 M2 SSD with S1 SSD external as scratch disk.... Pricey. Workhorse is iMac i7 ... Use both Adobe cc suite final cut and motion.

Whats the xps like? Thinking of getting one

Just an update on this.

Adobe premier and video export g works great on this house envy 17t with 16gigs of ram and the Nvidia GPu. Only gripe I have is I need to set the preview window to half resolution. And when doing some edits, Ike 300% playback speed. It lags out the video. Other than that it is very workable so far.

It would be really useful for me to know how your laptop is performing, since I am wanting to buy a similarly spec'ed one (i7-7500U + Nvidia 940MX, HP Spectre 15 Model).

1. how has been the performance of the laptop while doing 'continuous' (5-6 hours) editing work?
2. Any heating issues?
3. What is the rendering time/speed you are getting?
3. Did those issues with preview window and video lag @ 300%playback happen while working on 4k footage?
4. Have you tried offline/proxy editing with 1080p resolution? Is the performance better?

Thanks! :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard