DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large amount of interference over water

Spetnaut

Reactions
So I was flying yesterday afternoon near Ft Totten and Throgs Neck Bridge in Queens if anyone is familiar. Put a clip of the map location below, was flying from the X. Met some really cool guys there also. Anyway my range was horrible. I was barley going half a mile out, over open water before I was losing signal. Had a perfect line of sight, no obstructions what so ever. Normally I can take it out a few miles, with no issue, before I decide its time to turn back. I tried both my 4Hawks Raptor SR and 4Hawks OD Whips, same story with both setups. What gives, what could be causing so much interference in this spot? Really disappointed, it was my first time flying there, and it is one of the most perfect spots to fly in Queens IMO.

I see, I was out there for about two hours though. The interference wouldn’t last that long, would it? Has got to be due to something else.

I fly almost everyday out over my property, sometimes I get the Strong Interference warning it pops up then is gone, other days I get nothing. Kinda strange, since theres nothing out there to cause interference .

Sun spots sometimes cause solar flares which can interfere with electronics

Except there hasn't been any significant sunspot or solar activity recently.

Much more likely there's another source of interference in the area.

PolarPro has a nice app that has KP index, filter recommendation, golden hour info, and some weather information.
The kp index is used for interference, the app is free and easy to use.

Except there hasn't been any significant sunspot or solar activity recently.

Much more likely there's another source of interference in the area.
Two days ago the solar activity due to solar flares and sunspots was rated a 5 out of 9 (6/9/19). This condition has strong possibility to cause problems with communication, electronics and human health. This is monitored by NOAA and info is available via mobile apps. Activity is at 4 today.

Were the other guys flying drones? When we have meets there is always all sorts of strange interference when we have the remotes to close to each other. I have flown well over a mile out and then with other drones seen that limited to a couple thousand feet or less.

You can check out UAV Forecast for atmospheric interference.

It still wasn't sunspots, or solar flares, and no one here has ever reported problems with flying their drones even when that activity has been high. It's just not a thing.

It's much more likely, being in Queens, there was interference from something else, open water or not. That's a densely populated area.

Reactions: Thomas B
I was flying on Saturday and got warnings of high electrical interference. This had me puzzled as there was not a living sole or building for 30 miles . I was also 1/4 mile from my truck . I am starting to think if the software has a bit of a glitch they just spit out a random warning even if it’s total BS .

Mr Saltys an expert on atmospheric interference, listen to what he has to say. Its not sun spots. Hey Mr Salty why do I get it I'm out in the middle of the desert, nothing around for miles most days nothing then other days it pops up , but hey I know your the expert and tell me theres noway it could be sun spots. Must be aliens shooting ray guns HUH? o_O

Water reflects and absorbs radio waves and the condition of the water on a particular day (very calm versus choppy) might impact how much the presence of a large body of water might have on transmission and reception. Beyond that you've got tens of thousands of people in the immediate area doing who knows what with electronic devices. I'm surprised you don't have more days of interference versus days with good reception.

Mr Saltys an expert on atmospheric interference, listen to what he has to say. Its not sun spots. Hey Mr Salty why do I get it I'm out in the middle of the desert, nothing around for miles most days nothing then other days it pops up , but hey I know your the expert and tell me theres noway it could be sun spots. Must be aliens shooting ray guns HUH? o_O
Have you read a lot of threads around here about sunspots knocking Mavics out of the sky? No, and there's a reason for that. It takes a pretty intense solar storm to even begin to be a problem, and we haven't had one of those in a while. In fact, solar activity lately has been at a low point.

You don't have to be an expert to educate yourself.

The OP was surrounded by Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan, with high-rise buildings and hundreds of thousands of people in the immediate vicinity. His problems wasn't sunspots, which were not active at the time he was flying.

Put a dot on a map that shows where you consider "the middle of the desert" and maybe we can figure out your problem.

Could you figure mine out
Please
5c0c2ebcde638ea5d39c8eaf96625a26.jpg

My cabin is 25 miles out past the last bit of farm land .
Zero Utilities of any type for miles . But dji shows electrical interference is high .
Lmao

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks