DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Largest cruise ship + idiot

If it was a recreational flight, it doesn't matter.
Not everyone agrees with that. Here's something from an Airmap website (The Rules You Need to Know to Fly Recreational Drones - AirMap)

"5. Don’t fly after dark
This final rule is the most simple: do not fly after dark, even if your drone has night lights. Dark is considered 30 minutes before official sunrise or 30 minutes after official sunset. This is known as civil twilight."

(This is in addition to the other rules on that page (stay below 400 ft, although this seems to be a guideline rather than law), maintain VLOS, don't fly over people, and Fly in accordance with a set of community based guidelines - such as local regulations, FAA rules, etc., or a community based org such as the AMA)

Pretty sure the 400' rule is in place now in the USA.
For hobbyists, and part 107 can apply for a waiver ?

And the night flying thing is still ok for hobbyists, not for part 107, strange that.
They left a loophole open, probably will be closed soon.

You do realize that formatting the card only clears the directory. The files are still there. I think it's easier to just delete them from the PC
Format, (correctly Quick Format) or delete on PC do the same thing to a memory card. They just set the space contained by a file to writable in the directory held on the card. The contents of the card may still be recovered. Only a full format, where each memory location on the card is written to, deletes properly, but this takes time and most people don’t bother.

Not everyone agrees with that. Here's something from an Airmap website (The Rules You Need to Know to Fly Recreational Drones - AirMap)

"5. Don’t fly after dark
This final rule is the most simple: do not fly after dark, even if your drone has night lights. Dark is considered 30 minutes before official sunrise or 30 minutes after official sunset. This is known as civil twilight."

(This is in addition to the other rules on that page (stay below 400 ft, although this seems to be a guideline rather than law), maintain VLOS, don't fly over people, and Fly in accordance with a set of community based guidelines - such as local regulations, FAA rules, etc., or a community based org such as the AMA)
This is probably a discussion for another section of the forum, but it was raised in this thread and I feel a response is appropriate for accuracy.

First of all, Airmap would not be my source of reliable accurate regulation interpretation. My source is the Federal Aeronautical Regulations themselves. No where in part 101, is it stated that night flights are prohibited. If you can find that, then I will humbly stand corrected. Until then, what is not prohibited by law, is perfectly legal.

Straight from the FARs:

5) Any model aircraft that meets the conditions specified in §101.41. For purposes of this part, a model aircraft is an unmanned aircraft that is:

(i) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(ii) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and

(iii) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Again, here are the limitations specifically for model aircraft...

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

No where in part 101, is it stated that night flights are prohibited. If you can find that, then I will humbly stand corrected. Until then, what is not prohibited by law, is perfectly legal.

Reactions: JS1600

"5. Don’t fly after dark

Also, there are lots of threads on here where this has been settled, and I understand the confusion. Here is one of them: Confused about flying at night
Sad that an entity like Airmap cannot provide accurate info.

My apologies if it was inappropriate to stray off the OP subject matter, in response to another post.

Reactions: JS1600
Not really on this topic but to answer this question, a great app for iPhone is SOL. It is free and predicts 24 hours, sunrise, sunset, etc.
SOL ? Cannot find it on AppStore

What time is Evening Civil Twilight in Miami that you’re launching at 9:15pm?
According to my app "SOL", on Feb 8 (today) the Golden Hour is until 6:11 pm, Civil dusk is 6:13 to 6:32PM, and Atgronomical dark starts at 7:00 PM. In summary, if you take off at 9:00 it is NIGHT.

By the way, those of you who do not have this app should really get it. It is free and available for iP{hone and Android. Search for "SOL."

According to my app "SOL", on Feb 8 (today) the Golden Hour is until 6:11 pm, Civil dusk is 6:13 to 6:32PM, and Atgronomical dark starts at 7:00 PM. In summary, if you take off at 9:00 it is NIGHT.

By the way, those of you who do not have this app should really get it. It is free and available for iP{hone and Android. Search for "SOL."
I have an app called uavforecast that i use. It has many other features.

You want to…Part 107 regulation you need a waiver from…
Fly a UAS from a moving aircraft or a vehicle in populated areas§ 107.25 – Operation from a Moving Vehicle or Aircraft
Fly a UAS at night§ 107.29 – Daylight Operations
Fly a UAS beyond your ability to clearly determine its orientation with unaided vision§ 107.31 – Visual Line of Sight Aircraft Operation
User a visual observer without following all visual observer requirements§ 107.33 – Visual Observer
Fly multiple UAS with only 1 remote pilot§ 107.35 – Operation of Multiple Small UAS
Fly a UAS without having to give way to other aircraft§ 107.37(a) – Yielding Right of Way
Fly a UAS over a person/people§ 107.39 – Operation Over People
Fly a UAS:
  • Over 100 miles per hour groundspeed
  • Over 400 feet above ground level (AGL)
  • With less than 3 statute miles of visibility
  • Within 500 feet vertically or 2000 feet horizontally from clouds
§ 107.51 – Operating limitations for Small Unmanned Aircraft

You do realize that formatting the card only clears the directory. The files are still there. I think it's easier to just delete them from the PC
that actually applies to the PC as well, formating clears the directory (address tables) so the computer or drone thinks there's no data there and can load new data on. The only way to actually 'clear' the data is with a 3rd party tool like SafeWiper - but it's unnecessary unless you want to make sure data can't be recovered. the format 'in drone' or 'in PC' is exactly the same.

You might want to do some research yourself. Sorry, but there is no current regulation against night flights under p101, with the exception of having navigational lighting.

Part 101 does not apply to UAV’s. As a part 107 pilot you cannot fly without a waiver from the FAA and approved training after civil twilight.

If you are recreational than you can if you have appropriate lighting. This is stupid to me but it’s the law. You would think this rule would be opposite.

People need to stop spreading information based on things they believe.

Part 101 does not apply to UAV’s. As a part 107 pilot you cannot fly without a waiver from the FAA and approved training after civil twilight.

If you are recreational than you can if you have appropriate lighting. This is stupid to me but it’s the law. You would think this rule would be opposite.

People need to stop spreading information based on things they believe.
Part 101 applies if your mission is recreational, regardless of whether the pilot holds a part 107. And yes a UAV can definitely fly under part 101. All model aircraft are considered UAVs in FAA terminology.
Again, do a search on these very forums and you will see this has been discussed and pretty much settled.
You might want to follow your own advice and not spread information you believe.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent