DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Largest cruise ship + idiot

Hayabusa

Reactions
Back story: I live in miami south beach and the largest cruise ship in the world Symphony of the Seas is docked here. It usually leaves on a Saturday at 4:30. I noticed it at port today and saw that it was departing at 8pm. I’ve been trying for almost a year to catch this ship but something always happens I.e. bad weather, work, one time it left early etc...
With it leaving at night, I made a point to try and capture it as it is just an amazing ship and at night, even better.
So I get out at 7pm, just Incase it departs early. Well 8pm rolls around, 8:30, 9:00 and then around 9:15 I finally here the horn. Yay- I get ready and launch. Position it as it get closer, and 3,2,1 hit record!
Bam-SD card full. Are you kidding me?
Of course I freak out and just fly around it etc... WoW, what a beautiful ship, and at night- holy cow. I’m so mad at myself. I even cleared the cache but didn’t think of the card.
Now I’m even more mad if I’m right in thinking you can clear card from tablet. (Format SD card???) is this correct?
I Did managed to get 1 pic from my phone.
6E08839D-E850-44F8-B07F-FADDE34C5F25.jpeg
I Need to check my head!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can reformat your card in the app.
D51C165B-8155-405D-9038-DFA53BF6ED5F.jpeg

Reactions: Zeke and Gindra
Which model of Mavic do you have? The M2 has 8G of internal memory.
Blue skies from SoCal
P.s I saw that your question had been answered, but was just offering an option.

Reactions: Gindra
Mavic Pro- I forget what size card is in it but I obviously don’t clear it often since I didn’t even know I could. Lol
Just looked at the ships schedule through April and doesn’t depart at night anymore.
I’m honestly mad at myself.
Maybe I can catch it coming in early in the mornings. Have to look at the schedule again. Now I’m on a mission to get it.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Every time I download video from my card, after making sure I have a copy on my PC and another on my NAS, I reformat the card.
I'm with you on that one ... However, I simply delete the files on the SD card while it's attached to my PC, and then format the card as part of my pre-flight before lift-off (I'm a fan of using the device that the SD card is in, to format it ...

My workflow is to review images and video on the computer directly from the SD card. Next I copy good files from card to computer archive and catalog them. Update my computer backup for that disc drive. Then delete all image and video files from the SD card leaving all the DJI files and folders alone.

I only reformat a couple of times a year, and always in the drone.

What time is Evening Civil Twilight in Miami that you’re launching at 9:15pm?

leaving all the DJI files and folders alone.
Those files serve no purpose and you don't need to leave them
I only reformat a couple of times a year, and always in the drone.
There's no harm in formatting as often as you like and despite popular opinion to the contrary, it makes no difference whether you format the SD card in the drone or your computer.

Mavic Pro- I forget what size card is in it but I obviously don’t clear it often since I didn’t even know I could. Lol
Just looked at the ships schedule through April and doesn’t depart at night anymore.
Maybe I can catch it coming in early in the mornings. Have to look at the schedule again. Now I’m on a mission to get it.
We have the p@o Ship the Iona coming to the Uk and being based in my home town of Southampton( can’t wait ) its replacing the independence of the seas which apparently is now based in Miami which I’ve filmed many time’s ... yes all the big cruise ships which arrive in Southampton under darkness look amazing from the sky ... !!

You should have switched to internal memory. Probably would have gotten you at least a few pics

Awww I'm sorry that happened to you. Going on that ship in November, so excited as I hear it's beautiful!! I hope you are able to catch it leaving before then so we can see!!

If it was a recreational flight, it doesn't matter.
Guess again. This is why we will have even more laws people just don’t know And don’t care to talkie the time and do their research its to easy to come into a forum and ask anther person who doesn’t know.

Reactions: Zeke
Dear Hayabusa:

Greetings from a Coral Gables Mavic 2 Pro owner. I often go to South Beach Pier to shoot and fly. I submitted a video more than once on this forum. My question to you is, is there any flying restrictions over the government cut there when ship is going through. I've always been afraid of flying when a ship is departing.

As far as the cruise ship schedule, this information freely available on the internet.
crew-center.com › port-miami-cruise-ship-schedule-january-april-2020Port of Miami cruise ship schedule January-April 2020 | Crew ...

Here is one of the videos- the scenes with government cut come in mid-way in.

Dale
Miami

What time is Evening Civil Twilight in Miami that you’re launching at 9:15pm?
Not really on this topic but to answer this question, a great app for iPhone is SOL. It is free and predicts 24 hours, sunrise, sunset, etc.

Guess again. This is why we will have even more laws people just don’t know And don’t care to talkie the time and do their research its to easy to come into a forum and ask anther person who doesn’t know.
You might want to do some research yourself. Sorry, but there is no current regulation against night flights under p101, with the exception of having navigational lighting.

Reactions: JS1600 and ICHOTT
Dale,
As far as I see, there is a no fly zone over ear the coast guard station but I stat way clear of that. I always film there. That’s my typical spot. Right at the top of those grass hills with bike/walking path. Gives me a good high spot with an elevated view. I was out about 1/2 mile from the cut as I wanted to be away from all the city lights.
I’m going to have to try and catch it when it arrives if I want any night shots.

Dear Hayabusa:

Greetings from a Coral Gables Mavic 2 Pro owner. I often go to South Beach Pier to shoot and fly. I submitted a video more than once on this forum. My question to you is, is there any flying restrictions over the government cut there when ship is going through. I've always been afraid of flying when a ship is departing.

As far as the cruise ship schedule, this information freely available on the internet.
crew-center.com › port-miami-cruise-ship-schedule-january-april-2020Port of Miami cruise ship schedule January-April 2020 | Crew ...

Here is one of the videos- the scenes with government cut come in mid-way in.

Dale
Miami

Every time I download video from my card, after making sure I have a copy on my PC and another on my NAS, I reformat the card.
You do realize that formatting the card only clears the directory. The files are still there. I think it's easier to just delete them from the PC

Reactions: SageHopper

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J