DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Last known location does not correspond to video

nangali

Reactions
Hello all. A nice Friday evening flight ended in a bit of a disaster. My Mavic lost connection and briefly reconnected before going down.

Here are the log files - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

However, the last video I saw when drone attempted to land was this -

Either I'm standing on my head or your drone had already "landed" and was upside down. 1 second of video isn't much to go on.

Did you go look around at its last reported location or the location reported by "Find My Drone" in Go 4?

Either I'm standing on my head or your drone had already "landed" and was upside down. 1 second of video isn't much to go on.

Did you go look around at its last reported location or the location reported by "Find My Drone" in Go 4?
Yes we looked pretty closely. What I can't reconcile is the video from the drone shows a shot of ocean from a high elevation...not ground level. My log files however show a location that appears not accurate.

For the lost signal condition, what did you have the Mavic set to do - RTH, Hover, or Land? Also what was the wind situation - how strong and what direction?

Yes we looked pretty closely. What I can't reconcile is the video from the drone shows a shot of ocean from a high elevation...not ground level. My log files however show a location that appears not accurate.
Do you have more video you can post?

For the lost signal condition, what did you have the Mavic set to do - RTH, Hover, or Land? Also what was the wind situation - how strong and what direction?
Set to 4TH for lost signal. Wind was about a bit strong.Got warning. Wind was blowing towards the beach. Sorry I don't have more specific details.

Based on the log and snippet of video, looks like it was headed towards Fisher Island and perhaps crashed into one of the buildings there and lies upside down on the roof or terrace or something. Is there more to the log or the video? Video seems a bit short and the log cuts off without any wind warnings or unusual changes.

The Mavic was at 371 feet altitude when approaching Fischer Island, but there are two very tall buildings probably condo's near the tip of South Pointe. Probably lost signal going behind those. It would have attempted to RTH and one of those 40 story buildings appears to be on what would be the direct path back to the takeoff point. I'm thinking it made contact near the very top of one of those two buildings.

mkp2020 that makes sense. Lost signal after LOS got caught off by the 2 tall towers at South Pointe. The towers are called Continuum on South Beach. The South tower is 471 ft high and that tower could be in straight line between last known position and home point. So perhaps it crashed into the South Tower at 371 ft. RTH altitude was only 30 meters or maybe 100 ft so it would have stayed at 371ft while returning to home.

Jack I would agree - looks like South Tower is where it came to rest. Might have attempted to climb above to avoid it with OA but hit something above, or hovered and eventually attempted a landing up there.

I think the video snippet is consistent with a crash near the top of a building. Mavic is upside-down and I see sky and water - but the surface it is lying on appears to be a hard surface dark gray in color.

Awesome, congrats! How did you actually locate it up there and how much searching?
Yes located it up there. Helpful staff member knew exactly what the post was in the picture. That was the clincher.

Analysis was spot on. RTH was in direct path of the building. AC then tried to clear the building. But for some reason, after clearing main structure, it decided to go into this little orange overhang... I am assuming it did not have OA on as it slammed into that. I am working on posting footage.

Attachments

• 2017-08-19_1751-post.png
    2017-08-19_1751-post.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: Jacknet007
Glad you recovered it! Hats off to mkp2020. Great analysis! Found that section of the building on Google Earth!
129cc6aa4a72c6c4d6cbfdde0df3516a.jpg

Reactions: mkp2020
Phew. Made it back. So here's the footage from the Mavic. At 50 sec mark, Mavic goes into RTH.

What I don't get is:
  1. Why Mavic OA did not work second time around?
  2. Why Find my drone was not accurate?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke