DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Last of 2022 - Arsuf cliffs in Israel

I'm a new to this great hobby, still learning a lot about every aspect of flying, filming and editing.
This is a short clip from my my last video of 2022,
Would be happy to hear from you anything that might help me get better :)

I would rather that my comment not be the only comment you receive, but this is not considered a short clip. It is long, repetitive, and shows mostly the same subject which after a short view becomes tedious. Since you are a beginning videographer, you will soon learn from viewing a lot of films on this forum that shorter is better and less is more. Your subject, the incoming surf, from directly above, is a favorite subject and it can be hypnotizing, but you will soon learn that most viewers will not stay with a film for more than 3 minutes or so.

I have been doing video editing for about 5 years and I use both You Tube and Vimeo., Both of these providers will keep records and statistics of your viewership which are easily accessible. I have learned that only about 10-20% of viewers actually finish my film to the end. The more you go over 3 minutes, the less people will finish your film. The viewership drops off precipitously after about 1 minute and the film has to be especially interesting, with varying subjects to keep the audience watching. The more you tell a story, chronologically, the better. Try to show you arriving, setting up, don't repeat scenes, maybe use more than drone footage (iPhone video, Go Pro or Osmo Action video), etc.

Keep practicing. Your actual footage was good as far as composition, color grading, exposures, etc. Just tighten up on the length of the film and tell a story if possible.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: erezgur
I would rather that my comment not be the only comment you receive, but this is not considered a short clip. It is long, repetitive, and shows mostly the same subject which after a short view becomes tedious. Since you are a beginning videographer, you will soon learn from viewing a lot of films on this forum that shorter is better and less is more. Your subject, the incoming surf, from directly above, is a favorite subject and it can be hypnotizing, but you will soon learn that most viewers will not stay with a film for more than 3 minutes or so.

I have been doing video editing for about 5 years and I use both You Tube and Vimeo., Both of these providers will keep records and statistics of your viewership which are easily accessible. I have learned that only about 10-20% of viewers actually finish my film to the end. The more you go over 3 minutes, the less people will finish your film. The viewership drops off precipitously after about 1 minute and the film has to be especially interesting, with varying subjects to keep the audience watching. The more you tell a story, chronologically, the better. Try to show you arriving, setting up, don't repeat scenes, maybe use more than drone footage (iPhone video, Go Pro or Osmo Action video), etc.

Keep practicing. Your actual footage was good as far as composition, color grading, exposures, etc. Just tighten up on the length of the film and tell a story if possible.

Dale
Miami
Thank you Dave for your feedback.
I appreciate the honest and constructive criticism. Yes, I'm going to learn and will try to get better from video to video, I still find myself in the situation of feeling very lucky to be able to fly the new drone, shot the film and edit it into a youtube video (I thought that compression about 1 hour of film shots into several minutes is short) but I can understand what you mean and will try to follow those guidelines in futute.

Erez

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes