DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Law Officer Claims My TRUST DOCUMENT Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unlikely he had even heard of the TRUST program, it's only been live for a week.
Something you've printed yourself probably wouldn't look official to him.

What was the warning about?
Was it about flying in that location or something else?
Did it have anything at all to do with the TRUST certificate?
I was going to say the same thing,you are definitely right. Most of us haven't even heard about it till lately and thanks to this forum who got a very early heads up and I believe you are absolutely without a doubt correct.No way he knew what Trust was about.. I'm not buying it. Lol

I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did. THE END.
QUESTION: Is TRUST a LEGAL DOCUMENT OR NOT.
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but the TYPE of LAW OFFICER is not mentioned? I caution that in National Parks the officers are likely FEDERAL and any offense (or subsequent complications) may put the drone user in violation of federal laws and entangled in the Federal COURT SYSTEM!

I have no illusion that it will result in any immediate change, but I am referring this matter to the UAV task group of the IACP (International Assoc. of Chiefs of Police) who are really good at pushing out new information like this.

Whatever you can print and carry that explains this recreational certification to law enforcement would be a good thing to have in your back pocket, but not volunteer unless asked to produce it. As previous commenters have noted, in the context of a stop with LEO's, less is more.

New laws are confusing and frustrating to all involved, including those tasked with interpreting and enforcing them.

I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker
Whoa whoa, what? If you need any assistance, reach out to the Drone Pro in your zone, check the online directory, I'm based in FL but I can help you out if you need. I have no idea where you are, but I'm checking.

Sometimes I'll see "gave me a verbal warning" and it turns out the person is doing something illegal and the officer didn't wanna deal with cuffing you, so assuming you weren't hurting anyone, "Hole in the Wall waterfall" might be in Oregon located inside of Starvation Creek State Park and there seems to be no restrictions on drones at the state parks. The FAA says you should carry and present the TRUST certificate if needed, so this shouldn't have happened.

Correct me if I understand this wrong. 107 flyers still must have TRUST. If you are flying for a “job” then you are under 107. If you pick the drone up to film personal stuff, Falls or birthday party, then the 107 is mute and you must have the trust since at that point you are flying as a hobbyist.
If you're flying recationally, but still under the "umbrella" of 107 rules, you don't need TRUST. If you want to fly outside 107, you need trust.

Explained well here: TRUST? 107? 44809? Huh?!?! - Drone Service Providers Alliance

I have no illusion that it will result in any immediate change, but I am referring this matter to the UAV task group of the IACP (International Assoc. of Chiefs of Police) who are really good at pushing out new information like this.

Whatever you can print and carry that explains this recreational certification to law enforcement would be a good thing to have in your back pocket, but not volunteer unless asked to produce it. As previous commenters have noted, in the context of a stop with LEO's, less is more.

New laws are confusing and frustrating to all involved, including those tasked with interpreting and enforcing them.
Please reach out to me. I work with FAASTeam, and train LEO with our LEAP Agent. I also train FSDO on drone rules. I can help.

I'm more than willing to help out with this.

[email protected]

Thanks pnwhiker
No need to worry. Local or State law enforcement can not enforce FAA regulations. FAA regulations are not “laws” the same way those listed in the penal code are.
Best not to argue, but there were no grounds for arrest in the situation you described.

No need to worry. Local or State law enforcement can not enforce FAA regulations. FAA regulations are not “laws” the same way those listed in the penal code are.
Best not to argue, but there were no grounds for arrest in the situation you described.
Actually, LEO can ask for the TRUST. If you don’t produce it, they will report that to the FAA.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Reminds me of the time when the FAA sent newly minted pilots their pilot license in paper form to literally cut out (not even pre-perforated), that was still the case until 9/11.
You should probably bring your experience to the attention of the FAA; they need to know and provide guidance on how that is supposed to work. And apparently they also need to educate other agencies around them.

It is actually a requirement of 44809 to show the TRUST completion cert if asked.

This is the wording of the actual requirements, it's not an option if asked. "(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request."
OP wasn't asked, he just offered it up to the cop, right? Best response was, "Hi officer, was I disturbing anyone?"

Since we are discussing flying in state parks, I have a comment......On my "UAV Forecast and B4UFly apps", the state park that I want to fly in shows no flight restrictions or advisories. Yet when I email them a question about flying in the state park, they say "drones not allowed at this time". I believe this was sent from some uninformed employee! Any thoughts???
I'd ask for the statute or regulation number that legally establishes that prohibition.

TCS

OP wasn't asked, he just offered it up to the cop, right? Best response was, "Hi officer, was I disturbing anyone?"
I'd go with, "Hi officer, what can i do for you?"

That version deletes the implied possibility of guilt.

TCS

Reactions: kirkstick
I'd ask for the statute or regulation number that legally establishes that prohibition.

TCS
Local gov'ts (parks, etc.) can regulate when and where you fly from. However, unless they have cooperation of the FAA, they cannot regulate when or where you fly over.

Local gov'ts (parks, etc.) can regulate when and where you fly from. However, unless they have cooperation of the FAA, they cannot regulate when or where you fly over.
Yeah, in Florida, it is not legal to take off / land at a state park with a drone.

That's fine. If there's a rule, there's a rule, and I'll follow it.

My concern is being told there's a rule, by somebody who believes there is, and is wrong in that belief.

TCS

That's fine. If there's a rule, there's a rule, and I'll follow it.

My concern is being told there's a rule, by somebody who believes there is, and is wrong in that belief.

TCS
If they're someone it command, ask them to show it to you. Nicely. They won't always do that, but you can try.

If it's a Karen, tell them to call the cops if they think you're doing something wrong. If they don't want to, tell them to leave you alone.

If they're someone it command, ask them to show it to you. Nicely. They won't always do that, but you can try.

If it's a Karen, tell them to call the cops if they think you're doing something wrong. If they don't want to, tell them to leave you alone.
I mostly agree.

If a LEO tells me to stop flying, I'm just going to do that, with no lip, no questions, and no hesitation. If I want to pursue it further, I'll do that through official channels, off-line, in a documented manner.

If I'm being Karened, I WILL ask them to tell me what law or rule they think I'm violating. If they quote one...well, that's what internet-connected phones are for! I'll look it up on the spot.

Or maybe I'll have my drone look it up...

:)

"Hey Dijimm, find that section of the law, and read it out to us."

Talking AI drones...there's got to be an SF story in there somewhere!

TCS

I mostly agree.

If a LEO tells me to stop flying, I'm just going to do that, with no lip, no questions, and no hesitation. If I want to pursue it further, I'll do that through official channels, off-line, in a documented manner.
I'm in a bit of a unique position in this industry, so I will push the point as diplomatically as possible (after I land obviously). Up to and including asking them to have they supervisor come if necessary.

And if I'm flying and need to finish, I'll let them know that as well. PD have zero authority to make me land unless that see a clear and present danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid