DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Law Officer Claims My TRUST DOCUMENT Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Meta4:
The warning was about showing the and carrying a valid TRUST document. The law officer considered it a
crime to carry false FAA documentation, nothing was said about flying and he had no issues with me flying
in the area, just showing the officer my TRUST Cert, he stated a fake printout don't get it, I did not agrue, tried showing my drivers license to verify but to no avail either. I consider myself lucky not to be in jail right now, won't show my TRUST Cert unless asked for.
Did it have anything at all to do with the TRUST certificate? Law Officer said paper printout fakes, FAA would not
issue fake printouts, enough said he stated.
Be careful out there... pnwhiker.
I would not have offered it to the officer unless he asked for it.

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
So far I have had a demo with four of our county officers. Night before last I was flying and had one pull up in the parking lot and before he got out of his car a second one pulled up. I had been flying there before and they had seen me out as he sheriff office was just up the road, and they said show us what that thing can do. They were impressed and I told them when they see me out again stop by and I would let them fly. We talked about the law and they said if it ever came around to drone complaints they would not be looking into it. Too much going on in the world to fool with drones.

If he didn't ask for your TRUST why did you show him? You pulling it out so eagerly its no wonder he jumped to the conclusion it was a fake. This is only week old! You honestly think anyone outside the drone world even knows about it? LEOs have way more important things to learn and read! You know like how to handle murder suspects and what to say to loved ones when their child was killed in a car wreck.

You set yourself up for this!

Greetings welcome to the forum! I am sorry you had this experience. But I do appreciate you for sharing! I have only been approached a couple of times in my 6 years of being a drone pilot and every time I have maintained composer and explained the FAA rules and regulations that applied to my mission. Each time, I was left alone and they went their way (just better educated on FAA rules).

Reactions: ckoerner
As a former law enforcement officer and attorney I can tell you that there are officers out there who will quote laws that they know nothing about. I used to train new officers and let them know that they can't possibly know all of the laws in all areas. We had experienced officers who would quote laws and I would ask them to tell me where they got the information. We would them look it up and the law itself would say something completely different than what the officer was indicating. The fact that he gave you a verbal warning was likely his way of getting around saying something he didn't know anything about. 99% of all officers do a great job and are honest about their knowledge of the law but you will always find one who thinks they know every law on the books.

• Love
Reactions: Lbesing and BigAl07
Seems to me that after passing the test they should an email stating you have passed it (with your name on it).
Since they don't I took a screenshot and printed mine...it definitely looks unofficial and fake ?
Not sure where you went wrong, but when passing the test it offers you to download the *.pdf file that has the card (And your name, authentication number and date issued) to save and print out as you see fit. You can't go back later, you must do it right then! I took the front of both my FAA Registration and the new TRUST cert and put them back to back and laminated them together and carry in my wallet with my 107 Cert Card. When I fly I set both in my flight case for any LEO (never had one yet) interaction. :)

OF note: When printing out these things, use a laser printer if one is available with photo paper (Kinkos..ect). as noted they are flimsy even with lamination. As they have a front and back, I inserted a credit card type plastic between them and laminated it all together. Now it looks and feels like a "proper" ID. :)

As to the Officer and his seemingly rude interaction, I would have simply said: "It shows a Authentication token number which is linked to me on it officer, if you have any doubt of it's authenticity then run the number to prove it is indeed real". That would have shut him up. ;)

But yeah, as other stated and how I learned in the Marines...never volunteer anything :)

Last edited:
can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document,
No where on the certificate is FAA mentioned. Perhaps it should be since they are requiring it. Why would he say it's a fake FAA document if he didn't no where it came from? If he does know, then he should know what they are, and what they look like.

No where on the certificate is FAA mentioned. Perhaps it should be since they are requiring it. Why would he say it's a fake FAA document if he didn't no where it came from? If he does know, then he should know what they are, and what they look like.
Look again, it might not "Say it" but it has the FAA Logo/Seal :) I doubt the officer knows it, that was volunteered info as well I suspect :)

If that isn't an official FAA card then it appears to constitute illegal use of the FAA logo on a purported official document. I would not show one of those to anyone, and certainly not to LE of any kind.
My initial thoughts too, but it LOOKS like they’re just printing the original registration certificate on a plastic card (or more likely on a label they stick to a plastic card). Since the FAA just tells you to print it, I’m doubtful it’s illegal, but why take the chance when you can print and laminate for a dollar or two if you want?

I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did. THE END.
QUESTION: Is TRUST a LEGAL DOCUMENT OR NOT.
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker
Hey Hiker, I'm going to Hood River in August and plan on bringing my M2P is it worth the drive to go to Hole in the Wall?

Front and back. And no, I don't worry about anyone faking it.

Post #24.
That's a decent looking document.

Trust is just like our RPA operator accreditation here in Australia.
Any recreational pilot must obtain to fly to a drone here (legally), and allows the airspace authority the basis to know you are aware of the rules.
Much easier to monitor and prosecute if the rules ever lead to an incident, or are blatantly flouted repeatedly.

Our document prints half A4 and looks pretty good with Australian Government logo and CASA heading.
Printed and laminated, kept in each drone bag.

CASA_RPA_Op_Accreditation.jpg

Hey Hiker, I'm going to Hood River in August and plan on bringing my M2P is it worth the drive to go to Hole in the Wall?
To Petes:
The short answer is no, the water run off level is low and well disappointing, but the good news is
on the Washington side in the Gifford National Forrest there a some waterfalls you can take advantage of
and the Falls Creek Falls is a two tier waterfall, pnwhiker video gallery
Panther Creek Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
Upper Lewis River Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
Langfield Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
all three can be driven and hiked in the same day providing you get up early and start with Panther Creek Falls
then Falls Creek Falls and last Langfield Falls and then to Trout Lake and home.
Here is a link to Gifford Pinchot's Waterfalls - pnwhiker video gallery
Here is a link to printouts - pnwhiker trip resource
All these are on my website PNWHIKER.ORG, No Ads, No BS, No Bad Links, and no Rerouting to other webs.
Out of 3500 waterfalls in the Pacific Northwest, I only had been to 2789 so far, to old to get to the rest.
When I was young man I had 2 choices in life, CHASE WOMEN OR CHASE WATERFALLS, WATERFALLS WERE CHEAPER.
Go and Enjoy, Hopes this helps .PNWHIKER......

When I was young man I had 2 choices in life, CHASE WOMEN OR CHASE WATERFALLS, WATERFALLS WERE CHEAPER.
Don't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to
I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all
But I think you're moving too fast.

To Petes:
The short answer is no, the water run off level is low and well disappointing, but the good news is
on the Washington side in the Gifford National Forrest there a some waterfalls you can take advantage of
and the Falls Creek Falls is a two tier waterfall, pnwhiker video gallery
Panther Creek Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
Upper Lewis River Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
Langfield Falls - pnwhiker video gallery
all three can be driven and hiked in the same day providing you get up early and start with Panther Creek Falls
then Falls Creek Falls and last Langfield Falls and then to Trout Lake and home.
Here is a link to Gifford Pinchot's Waterfalls - pnwhiker video gallery
Here is a link to printouts - pnwhiker trip resource
All these are on my website PNWHIKER.ORG, No Ads, No BS, No Bad Links, and no Rerouting to other webs.
Out of 3500 waterfalls in the Pacific Northwest, I only had been to 2789 so far, to old to get to the rest.
Thank you for the advice Sir

He can suspect the printout is fake. He could perhaps issue a ticket. He can't dish out a criminal punishment without getting a court involved, and the court would give you a chance to explain your side of the issue. There's no way you'd be convicted of anything for showing a valid TRUST certificate to a law enforcement officer.

The place to dispute a law enforcement officer is in the controlled environment of a courtroom, not in the field.

The process is the punishment. With attorney fees and time/stress/worry, if you have to go to court over a BS charge, you have already lost.

Inspired by this thread…

Just back from Kinkos, having spent:
$0.70 for a color copier print on glossy paper
$2.49 for an 8.5x11” self-serve lamination
$3.19 Total

I took about 10 minutes at home in Photoshop, lining up & scaling the FAA pdfs of my drone registration, my TRUST cert, and my 107 recurrency cert.

About 20 minutes at Kinkos, carefully trimming the print, folding, laminating, then trimming the lamination.

Result: 3 nice looking laminated wallet cards, with the original FAA logos in color.

I don’t know that I’ll have an interaction with a law enforcement officer where these might help, but they’ll hold up better in my wallet than little scraps of paper!

I printed my TRUST and FAA Registration on same page, hopefully if asked for that stuff it will suffice. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13