DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lawmakers seek ban on Chinese made drones...

Unfortunately to read the entire article the WSJ wants you to subscribe, which I didn't do. Didn't see the private sector mentioned.
But the last sentence visible is that the Feds would have 180 days to stop using them. Hmm, may pay to start watching public government auctions.?

Yeah, I couldn't read it all either. Curios to know what other options they think they'll have.

I dont think they gonna win that one...

My thoughts are that DJI is high profile and previously was evaluated by the U.S gov regarding data sent back to DJI... despite reassurances the US gov refused to buy them or allow use in official government business.
With the current tariffs it is likely just posturing to get an issue for next year’s elections.
... but let’s not get politics going in this thread.

On one hand this could be seen as the usual cut and thrust of global politics and trade (in general). Countries do this sort of thing all the time to get an edge. Not always in the way the public thinks but often some subtle moving of chess pieces etc. threaten the drone imports to get leverage on the sugar beat exports.... ( Obviously it would not be electioneering Shirley no politician would stoop to that? :) Note I am in the UK and we have trade deals and not (?) an election happening )

The other technical argument is that some systems send data back to another country. As noted above many systems do this, phones computers, IoT devices, cars drones etc. I have seen a live real time map showing all of a particular manufacturers vehicles en route in a city in a different country. I am reliabley informed that the vehiclas in the US also send bata back. So none of this is new.

The case in question being DJI Drones in the USA is amusing as most of the time we see Americans complaining abut the NFZ system DJI uses! I would have thought that the US Federal Authories would probalby want to fly , quite often, over their own property. Most of which would be in a NFZ. So rather ironically the Feds would hafe to ask the Chinese nicely for permission to fly over their own property. You have to see the funny side of that!

Whilst DJI might have over 80% of the global consumer market I woudl think that the US Federal Agencies , and come to that most other agencies for most of other governments, would require a drone that had marked all the no fly zones but that the operator could turn off. OR at least opperator for that agency could turn off certain NFZ IE you want them there so you are aware but you would then turn off the one you need but not the NFZ next to it which you should not be flying into. Not all agencies have the automatic right to enter all other agencies areas. Also you would want any flight data to go back to YOUR servers only.

Question is.... would you trust a foreign company to do you a drone with that sort of software? Would the US government trust DJI to do a modified version for the SW for them?

I think there is a market opportunity for some one to do a small UAV system for US government agencies. It would ould not be difficult.

Reactions: 5haman
Huh, that'll work. The Feds will be looking to buy up all the horse and drays that can find soon!
Take out Chinese UAV tech' companies and there ain't no one else who is even close to filling that hole!

Huh, that'll work. The Feds will be looking to buy up all the horse and drays that can find soon!
Take out Chinese UAV tech' companies and there ain't no one else who is even close to filling that hole!

It is not that difficult to do a drone. There are several companies that can to that very easily.
I susspect they just don't want get on to the consumer market. However if there was a government contract they would jump at it.

It is not that difficult to do a drone. There are several companies that can to that very easily.
I susspect they just don't want get on to the consumer market. However if there was a government contract they would jump at it.
I agree that there are a lot of other companies that can do a drone but not with the same quality, software tool and precision as DJI. Autel would come next to my list but unfortunately they are a small company and only have one product to offer.

I agree that there are a lot of other companies that can do a drone but not with the same quality, software tool and precision as DJI. Autel would come next to my list but unfortunately they are a small company and only have one product to offer.

They only need one product.
With a guaranteed order from the Govenment for what? 20,000 drones + spares + 500 a year replacements (they are going to crasch/loose some) It would be viable.The government would pay double the cost of a DJI drone for the right system. IT's peanuts to the federal budgets and a fraction the cost of a helicopter.

Of course with a system that only sent data back to the customers servers that the US government used I think Six Eyes would be interested so there is the market.

Reactions: macoman
Reactions: The Fat Controller
In the age of rising protectionism and pot v. kettle accusations about 'spy software', it's probably not a bad idea for international companies to set up local 'independent' branches where a bit of assembly goes on (using local labourforce is always popular with the "our country first" politicians), firmware versions can be vetted for conformity with legal standards, data is sent to a local server, and sales/repair force and help desks know what they are talking about in the local circumstances.

In the age of rising protectionism and pot v. kettle accusations about 'spy software', it's probably not a bad idea for international companies to set up local 'independent' branches where a bit of assembly goes on (using local labourforce is always popular with the "our country first" politicians), firmware versions can be vetted for conformity with legal standards, data is sent to a local server, and sales/repair force and help desks know what they are talking about in the local circumstances.
I read this (and I agree with it) but it brings back the argument I read in an earlier post (may 2019) about: Why hasnt Japan or the USA produced a competitive drone?
I don't think I'm going off topic but . . . if the Feds are going to ban DJI . . . they better have a damned good replacement company. If the Mavic 2 was produced here in the states it would be $12,066 to purchase. Like the post I referred to said; DJI has such a lead in this industry on everyone else . . . it would cost a company billions to catch them. The only alternative it to buy them outright. But you'd never get production labor that cheap (here in the states) unless you go fully automated factories. If that bird is going in the air . . . it better have proven quality behind it. I don't care where it is built . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000