DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laws for the Mini 2 - help please

Brads80’s

Reactions
Hi guys, new to this. Bought my Mini 2 the other day and wow what a tool it is. Unfortunately it’s had some ‘bad press’ on Facebook with neighbours encouraging anyone to ‘shoot it down’. Can I ask what the summary of laws are for the Mini 2 being as it weights below the 250g threshold. As far as I understand it I’m able to legally fly over my housing estate but not within 50m? Any guidance appreciated.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi guys, new to this. Bought my Mini 2 the other day and wow what a tool it is. Unfortunately it’s had some ‘bad press’ on Facebook with neighbours encouraging anyone to ‘shoot it down’. Can I ask what the summary of laws are for the Mini 2 being as it weights below the 250g threshold. As far as I understand it I’m able to legally fly over my housing estate but not within 50m? Any guidance appreciated.
Hi Brads, just read UK, quite similar to EASA "Airspace authorities" laws and regulations. Its all there. In EU it's EASA. Best from from Sweden

Are you talking about your Mini 2 being shot down or anyone with a Mini 2 and where is that link to that facebook I am going to karate chop them .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on Water.

Reactions: bob1701

Attachments

• B8A2718C-2C41-4BD2-9426-AEF0BA38FB34.png
    B8A2718C-2C41-4BD2-9426-AEF0BA38FB34.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
So long as you are within the law you are good to go.

The "Ian of London" videos are a good watch if you haven't seen them before. As he says, you can fly from your garden but get up high before moving off so no-one can accuse you of invading their privacy.

The main points for the Mini2 are; Have an operator ID and display it on the aircraft, make sure it is under the 250g with leds etc added. Stay within LOS at all times and less than 500 mtrs away. Stay under120mtrs high from the ground below at all times. Check the many apps for no fly zones and NOTAMS.

Maybe get insurance from BMFA or FPVUK too.

How would someone in UK shoot down a drone when you guys don't have guns?

With the Mini / Mini2 being so small - if they "did" have a gun to shoot it down - good luck finding and hitting it.

Just stay high enough and away from people / property and you should be fine.

As for FAKEBOOK - not everything you read on it is true or even remotely true.

• Haha
Reactions: ckoerner and bonzo
How would someone in UK shoot down a drone when you guys don't have guns?

That’s a bit of a misconception. There’s plenty of guns in the U.K. Shotguns are still legal, and pretty much perfect for taking out drones. You can still get rim fire rifles, and air rifles up to 12ft/lbs are completely unlicensed everywhere except Scotland.

Post no.#5 is the best advice you are going to get on this forum. Ian in London's youtube videos are a great source for information on drones and associated rules and regulations pertaining to the UK.

How exactly can you purchase the weapons you mentioned? Other than getting buried under a pile of paperwork and formalities and justifications and psychiatric examinations and police background checks and so on?
Wasn’t me that posted it and I
haven't a clue don’t live there going by what someone that posted
it that does live there. Now let’s not change the direction of the thread.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
How exactly can you purchase the weapons you mentioned? Other than getting buried under a pile of paperwork and formalities and justifications and psychiatric examinations and police background checks and so on?
As a former shotgun certificate holder I can confirm that it is not that difficult obtain one.
All you need is a countersignature on your application form by an approved person - doctor, solicitor etc. and a visit from the local firearms officer to assess your security arrangements and that's pretty much all there is too it.
A firearms certificate (required for a rifle) is a little more complicated in that you have to justify a need for it and show that you have legal access to land where you intend to shoot.
There are no psychiatric examinations only relatively minor police background checks.

Reactions: Howard70 and Alan_M
Laws in Europe are pretty levelled. Pretty much in all European space is virtually impossible to obtain legally a fire arm.

I assumed it is the same in UK.

You are saying that shotguns are making an exception. It may be, but the use of them must be so prohibitive that they are rendered pretty much useless.

Last edited:
You are saying that shotguns are making an exception. It may be, but the use of them must be so prohibitive that they are rendered pretty much useless.
Not so.

There are numerous clay clubs in my vicinity that shoot at various locations regularly every weekend, and there are thousands of the same throughout the UK.

Game shooting is also popular and there are a number of game syndicates in my area.

I have no idea what percentage of the population hold a shotgun certificate, but I think you would be surprised how high it is. I also know of a few who hold firearms certificates so legally own rifles.

And before you think I live in some outlandish place in the wilds of Scotland, wrong, it is only about 30kms from the centre of London. There are two gun dealers in my local town, and a gun club for target shooting less than 3kms away.

People only think that no one in the UK have guns is because we don't go around shooting people with them. The only firearms that are not legal in the UK are handguns, pump-action shotguns that can hold more than three cartridges and automatic rifles

I only gave up shooting because of age and my eyesight was deteriorating.

Ok gang... you've been told 1X already to change the subject. This is #2 and there won't be a #3.

Drop it with guns in general!!

Allen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon